Front tyre size

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Hello all,

I am looking at changing out my front tyres on my b1400 4wd.

Currently i have 5x12 tyres on there but i can easily get a set of 6x12 tyres. As i understand it the only difference between these tyres is the width so the front back ratio will be still correct ( rear has 8x16 ).

So, i ask for the forum wisdom. Is this an ok difference in tyre size and can i put 6x12 on instead of the 5x12.

Cheers all.

Last edited:

Carl in France

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Hoping some-one has an answer. I went to the tractor place locally and they mumbled phrases at me such as 'should do', not very confidence inspiring.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I took a quick look at pictures of your tractor. None showed a mmm to worry about interference between a mower and the tire. Does the front turn sharp enough to rub on the frame when it is turned all the way left and right? Some one is going to ask you if the circumference between the tires is different and if the difference is small then it should work.

Carl in France

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Hello Big G, no, no mmm to worry about, i only have a rear pto.
I admit i do not know if the current tyres rub on the frame, i wll have a look and see if there are any marks. I have not noticed it doing so at any time.

Hopefully some one can chime in that has done this or can advise if the only difference in the tyre is width as i think.