Front Tires Rubbing on Bonnet

Grizzo

Dec 12, 2020
Australia
See attached picture.
New M5091 front tires rubbing on bonnet when turning full lock and terrain is bumpy.

Is this normal or is something out of alignment?
I'm thinking of cutting down the inside edges of the front tires treads.

Thanks.
thumbnail_Image (6).jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
don't know the tractor but.....
are the tires STOCK from Kubota ?
Any chance they're dished 'in' instead of 'out' ?
What does the dealer you bought it from say ??

Reactions: 1 user

Grizzo

Dec 12, 2020
Australia

Haven't asked the dealer yet. Standard tires and rims set to their widest. (Edit- I've since learned that the spacers were set to their widest but rim orientation was not.) There looks to be plenty of negative camber and wheels are toeing out.

Flat ground there is no problem. It happens on rough ground when the front axle pivots up on that side and turning full lock.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

I'm with Jay - - - something isn't right.

I'm thinking there should be a way to limit the stops on the steering?

That seems like a REAL tight turn for the tire to touch the bonnet.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I agree with the others. It appears that it requires steering stops for that wheel setting and doesn't have them. Any mention of steering stops in the manual when changing front wheel spacing?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Haven't asked the dealer yet. Standard tires and rims set to their widest. There looks to be plenty of negative camber and wheels are toeing out.

Flat ground there is no problem. It happens on rough ground when the front axle pivots up on that side and turning full lock.
Sounds like you need to take it back to the dealer for an alinement, or to have the front rims put on the right side if they are swapped, (can't tell by your picture), and if it's NEW make them replace the bonnet.

Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The M5-091 has steering stop bolts that limit how far the wheels can be turned. Your dealer did not correctly adjust them when the wheel width was adjusted. The stops need to be backed out to eliminate tire contact with the bonnet and a new bonnet installed.

Reactions: 5 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The M5-091 has steering stop bolts that limit how far the wheels can be turned. Your dealer did not correctly adjust them when the wheel width was adjusted. The stops need to be backed out to eliminate tire contact with the bonnet and a new bonnet installed.
Bingo.

Shortcut during PDI.

SDT

Grizzo

Dec 12, 2020
Australia
Just a follow up on this. Iv'e since learnt that these tractors need the front wheel width set using dish and rim orientation, depending on what size tires are fitted. The rims are offset, and in my case they were the wrong way around for my size tires, so the rims were turned around and swapped sides to keep correct tire rotation.

There is a chart in the manual that shows the allowed rim widths (wheel and dish orientations) according to your tires size.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
The tire marks should come off pretty easily with either rubbing alcohol or rubbing compound. Hopefully they didn't deform the metal or create any deep scratches.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Just a follow up on this. Iv'e since learnt that these tractors need the front wheel width set using dish and rim orientation, depending on what size tires are fitted. The rims are offset, and in my case they were the wrong way around for my size tires, so the rims were turned around and swapped sides to keep correct tire rotation.

There is a chart in the manual that shows the allowed rim widths (wheel and dish orientations) according to your tires size.
That should have been corrected during PDI.

SDT

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
@Grizzo did the dealer widen the front tires or did you post delivery? If it was the dealer, I agree with the others that they should repair any damages.

Grizzo

Dec 12, 2020
Australia
The tires and incorrect configuration are how it was delivered to me. Yes, dealer needs to fix the problem.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
The tires and incorrect configuration are how it was delivered to me. Yes, dealer needs to fix the problem.
Many are shipped in a crate with the front axle off as part of dealer assembly. Your axle pivot may be too loose.