Front tire chains on a Cab model L6060?

MoCo

Equipment
L6060 Tractor, SVL65 CTL, KX033-4 Excavator
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
There is no fender clearance at the rear tires of my L6060, so rear chains are not an option unless I install rear wheel spacers, which I don't want to bother with unless I have no option.
Anyone tried front tire chains on R4 tires?
My driveway is gravel, and I use a snow pusher bucket on the FEL with a ballast box on the rear.
Comments, please.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Yes I use front double ladder chains for 3PH snow blowing. I only put them on when there's glare ice and no traction.

If you are pushing snow you will put a lot of load on the front end 4WD. Consider using screw in studs in the tires in your application.

Keep in mind the chains can walk, make sure to use a good spider and to re-tension your chains after your initial install. Not much clearance between the tire and steering linkages on my M59.

I'm not a fan of pushing snow as I'm in the snow belt. By mid winter there's nowhere to push the stuff, I do't like high snow banks and deep drifts.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
There is no fender clearance at the rear tires of my L6060, so rear chains are not an option unless I install rear wheel spacers, which I don't want to bother with unless I have no option.
Anyone tried front tire chains on R4 tires?
My driveway is gravel, and I use a snow pusher bucket on the FEL with a ballast box on the rear.
Comments, please.
It has been argued that putting chains on the front wheels adds a lot of stress to front axle components. If this is true, avoiding the cost of wheel spacers on the rear in the long term may be false economy.

I think I would put wheel spacers on the back and get a good set of chains. BUT rear chains are going to be MUCH more expensive than chains for the smaller front tires. So a double whammy on the pocketbook in the immediate sense.

With my R4 tires and simple 2-link ladder chains on the back, the chains tend to fall between the lugs, so a good amount of the chain serves no useful purpose. I imagine this would be the same with R4s on the front, but do not know.

So I would suggest that whatever you decide, you should get a style of chains that will not fall between the R4 tire lugs, and provide the maximum contact between the tire and the ground.

Just a couple thoughts from my limited experience...