Front PTO

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Hi

Thinking of installing a front drive on a B7200 for a high pressure water pump.
Anyone got a front drive on this or similar tractor. It is offered as an option and fits on to the fan bent pulley.

Thanks

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
lsmurphy brings up a good point. That is a PTO but it's also the crank of the motor, There is no real simple way to install a disconnect to shut if off.
Some models had an electric clutch that was powered by that shaft but They are very hard to find parts for that too!

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
lsmurphy brings up a good point. That is a PTO but it's also the crank of the motor, There is no real simple way to install a disconnect to shut if off.
Some models had an electric clutch that was powered by that shaft but They are very hard to find parts for that too!
I have what looks like the parts in your drawing for my B7100 snow blower. And as they said, it does have the electric clutch on the end. I got mine on eBay, but I haven't seen one since. It shouldn't be too hard to make if you are or know a machinist. Before I found these parts, I used a pattern of the pulley and its bolt holes to have a machinist make my flange and then welded a hollow tube to it that was long enough to go out to the electric clutch. It worked for me until I found the correct parts.

John in VA

Last edited:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I have what looks like the parts in your drawing for my B7100 snow blower. And as they said, it does have the electric clutch on the end. I got mine on eBay, but I haven't seen one since. It shouldn't be too hard to make if you are or know a machinist. Before I found these parts, I used a pattern of the pulley and its bolt holes to have a machinist make my flange and then welded a hollow tube to it that was long enough to go out to the electric clutch. It worked for me until I found the correct parts.

John in VA

You are correct.

I was leading the OP to discover the balance of the assembly. He'll also need a gear reduction that he was not thinking of.

The splined coupling and stub are near impossible to find.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
OP, you will be far better off to make up a small 3pt platform to mount pump and run it off the rear PTO. You will also have three speeds to choose from.......assuming you have a three speed PTO.

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
OP, you will be far better off to make up a small 3pt platform to mount pump and run it off the rear PTO. You will also have three speeds to choose from.......assuming you have a three speed PTO.
I agree.

John in VA

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
All
Thanks for these comments which I accept and will take on board before I make anything.

My reason for thinking of the front PTO is that the pump I have needs 1400 RPM and my rear PTO at top gear (2 speeds) and 2500RPM on the engine does around 900RPM and would need pulleys to increase RPM

The mid PTO does 1800 RPM but I like to keep a mid mount mower on that(Its a pain to take it off if I want to pump).

Main use for the pump is to blast away mainly leaves debris from my yard.

I have a lathe and milling machine and am reasonably well equiped to make up something.

Thanks

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
CB,

I was thinking further on your project and remembered a gentleman named John G Walsh who is working on a restoration. He had a significant challenge removing the front pto assembly from his engine because it was rusted on. He's located in Munster, Ireland although I'm not sure how far away from you. I'm not sure if he ever decided to use his front clutch assembly. Hence, it might be a source for you to either measure the parts or possibly buy if he is interested in parting with it. He's a great guy and does beautiful restoration work.

At the very least, the thread had quite a few pics of what the assembly looks like. Figured you might find the info useful. The entire thread is very interesting but the pto stuff starts here:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58411#post58411

You might consider contacting him through this forum.

Good luck and please let John know I said hello and that the forum would love an update on his project if you contact him.

Steve

Last edited:

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
All
Finished the drive of a Front PTO and since members have been helpful I thought I should post some photos and results.

The pump was attached to a 3 phase motor and was recovered from a scrapyard.

Splines from a Renault Megane were used instead of the OEM drive. I did not even contact Kobuta agents. The original drives are probably not available and if so would cost a fortune.

The driver plate which I used is 1.2 mm Stainless Steel. If anyone has the original Kobuta drive plates I am interested in the material type and plate thickness?? Please advise.

Lack of a clutch or quick method of disengaging this drive is a disadvantage as advised by other members. The pump manufacturer give a max of 3 mins for running the pump without a water supply and also a rated speed of 1400 RPM.

I have run the pump at all speeds up to 2500 RPM. The pressure form the hose nozzle is great and blows leaves and debris well clear of my yard.

The gauge shown in photo is temporary and I intend to remove it after the next cleaning session which will be before Christmas.

Inconclusion the front drive (Renault) and my SS plate have been a success. My attachment and coupling to the pump is not successful and I am going to put in a proper universal joint.

If anyone wants details of the pump or other info I can provide.

Cheers.

Attachments

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
All
Finished the drive of a Front PTO and since members have been helpful I thought I should post some photos and results.

The pump was attached to a 3 phase motor and was recovered from a scrapyard.

Splines from a Renault Megane were used instead of the OEM drive. I did not even contact Kobuta agents. The original drives are probably not available and if so would cost a fortune.

The driver plate which I used is 1.2 mm Stainless Steel. If anyone has the original Kobuta drive plates I am interested in the material type and plate thickness?? Please advise.

Lack of a clutch or quick method of disengaging this drive is a disadvantage as advised by other members. The pump manufacturer give a max of 3 mins for running the pump without a water supply and also a rated speed of 1400 RPM.

I have run the pump at all speeds up to 2500 RPM. The pressure form the hose nozzle is great and blows leaves and debris well clear of my yard.

The gauge shown in photo is temporary and I intend to remove it after the next cleaning session which will be before Christmas.

Inconclusion the front drive (Renault) and my SS plate have been a success. My attachment and coupling to the pump is not successful and I am going to put in a proper universal joint.

If anyone wants details of the pump or other info I can provide.

Cheers.

What is a Renault Megane? What is the spline count and size?

What is the problem that you need a Ujoint? Vibration?
Look to a 'rag coupler' to solve that problem......you do not have the length of shaft for a ujoint.......further you will need two ujoints........one will not work.
Rags or Lovejoys are the answer.

Look to a long splined section with a sliding splined collar for a disconnect, all you need is about 1" to 1.5" of movement. Drill two pin holes, one to lock the collar in the drive position and one when the collar is slid back to lock it out of drive........something like that.......anyway.....