Front blower L4474 vs L4479

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Have looked all over but can’t find any details on the differences between the front utility and commercial 74” front blower. I know the commercial has a hydraulic deflector which you can add for $976 on the utility.

Anyone have info on definitive differences? Putting it on an L6060

thank you

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
The Specs
I don't see anything discouraging in the utility/L4479 model - does anyone else? We get 200-300" of snow a season and this looks like a beast of a blower. The L4474 commercial model, I think is geared toward parking lots? It was strange that the PTO requirements go up to 80HP while the largest mid/front PTO Kubota is ~51HP PTO (L6060)?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I don't see anything discouraging in the utility/L4479 model - does anyone else? We get 200-300" of snow a season and this looks like a beast of a blower. The L4474 commercial model, I think is geared toward parking lots? It was strange that the PTO requirements go up to 80HP while the largest mid/front PTO Kubota is ~51HP PTO (L6060)?
I think the L4479 will be just fine for the average homeowner. The heavier one might be better for someone trying to make a living blowing snow.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
By the way, was your dealer not able to give you that information? It came out of the Kubota service handbook!

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
By the way, was your dealer not able to give you that information? It came out of the Kubota service handbook!
I didn’t realize they published these types of specs so didn’t know to ask for them. The dealer recommended the L4479 and they are 200 miles south of me and don’t get the same kind of snow falls we do.

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Michigan is a big state.
Snowfall varies greatly.
Upper Peninsula vs downstate.
We have seen 250 inch winters and much less.
Any blower on a Grand L will treat you well.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Dave111

Equipment
BX2200, L6060
Aug 24, 2023
MD
Have looked all over but can’t find any details on the differences between the front utility and commercial 74” front blower. I know the commercial has a hydraulic deflector which you can add for $976 on the utility.

Anyone have info on definitive differences? Putting it on an L6060

thank you
The utility version was recommended to me by my dealer based on amounts of snow we get here in N. MD. It made sense to me. When I first saw it up close and felt it, it's certainly is a beast IMO. The utility version weighs in at 900+ lbs. The commercial weighs in about 300+ lbs heavier than the utility. I used it for the 1st time a few days ago with @4" of snow on the ground (hardly worth using a snow blower, but had to try it). When I went slightly off the edge of my driveway a time or two, I ran the left (from drivers seat) skid shoe into the dirt (which wasn't frozen). When I got back to clean the snow blower before putting it in the garage I noted a very large amount of dirt/grass and some snow which the chain pulled into that left side. Also, after doing the driveway again (same amount of snow) forgot to add it's @1/3 mile long and I was in the float position, it happened again with the chain really pulling in the dirt. Also, I noted the skid shoes were worn more towards the front vs the rear of the shoe; both sides were equally worn and I'm not sure if there is enough shoe to do the driveway again! So I might have to buy another set soon. To me that's not right.
I looked at the parts diagrams between the two blower versions and noted there is what appears to be a guard shield around the entire chain protecting it within the main blower box, where as the utility only has a flat piece of steel which protects the front of the chain as it goes around the large sprocket for the auger. The auger chain guards and the skid shoes are my only complaints thus far. I will be letting my saleman know about my issues to find what can be done to remedy them. The shoes should not wear down that quick and I'm hoping the commercial chain guard could be adapted to fit my utility version. I really wish I could have been shown the differences by looking at them both up close. I don't mind paying more for something if it means less headaches in the future. Hope this helps. Besides the parts links below, I went and found each blower version that was for sale and looked at them.
Commercial version parts diagram
Utility version parts diagram

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You can destroy ANY snowblower, 'utility', 'residential', 'commercial', 'heavy duty', 'Hulk approved', all you do is ABUSE it beyond it's limits.

I've got a 20+ years old BERCO on a Craftsman rider, and I've ABUSED the beejeebers out of it,helping 6-7 neighbours, it's still here. I'd rate it 'light commercial' based on gauge of steel,sprockets and chain.It's ain't purdy as the krappy powdercoat is chipped off BUT it still blows snow, pretty good. I was hoping it'd die this year as I have a BNIB 'improved' one sitting here.

My point is IF you USE the machine as intended ,it'll probably outlive you. With a light duty machine, you may have to actually oil/adjust stuff more often than the 'commercial' one, maybe take 3 passes instead of 2, but it'll get the job done, for less money.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
With a piece of equipment weighing 900 pounds, I don't doubt that having that run on pavement it was badly worn. You might want to get out your welder and weld additional steel to the existing shoes before there is nothing left to weld to. Possibly you could fashion some wheels to the blower like they use on the road plows to carry the weight. Another possibility is to add some high wear-resistant plastic to the bottom of the shoes.

Dave111

Equipment
BX2200, L6060
Aug 24, 2023
MD
With a piece of equipment weighing 900 pounds, I don't doubt that having that run on pavement it was badly worn. You might want to get out your welder and weld additional steel to the existing shoes before there is nothing left to weld to. Possibly you could fashion some wheels to the blower like they use on the road plows to carry the weight. Another possibility is to add some high wear-resistant plastic to the bottom of the shoes.
Yeah, the weight is lots for two small shoes to ride on; an engineering flaw - or perhaps was engineered that way so new $36/ea shoes have to be purchased frequently. I just purchased a few replacements until I have a chance to get some harder steel and weld to the bottom of the existing shoes. I'm also looking for steel that is at least 2x wider, if not more, to help distribute that weight. The wheels are a good suggestion too, which I'll look into after this winter. I don't want to do anything to it that would void its warranty, since it is brand new.
I may also purchase the 'chain guard' for the commercial version and adapt it to my utility. The utility version is quite heavy and is built like a tank. The skid shoes and chain guard are the only weak links IMO. Once I get some harder steel (any recommendation appreciated), and maybe wheels, I shouldn't have to worry about the shoes wearing as fast. I did think of the UHWM plastic, but wasn't sure if would wear better or worse; as it's not cheap, but would be worth it if it wore much less than the steel. Do you happen to know? I do think it's a 'weak link' (engineering wise) that the chain guard which is used for the commercial is not also used for the utility. I think the entire front area of the chain should be protected; both from a 'person' safety stand point as well as protecting the chain from pulling debris (dirt, stone, rocks, etc.) into it.