Front Axle

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I parked the M4900 and saw that my front tire/wheel was covered with oil. Now that ain't right.
IMG_2561.JPG

This is from the bottom of the axle looking up. Cover gone and the bearing was shot. I was 46 miles from the Kubota dealer but a call verified that he had everything in stock. I got a new bearing, shims, snap ring, cover, and a couple of jugs of 85-90. Hopefully I can get it back together tomorrow.

Reactions: 7 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I don't think that what I wanted to do is possible, at least not a field repair. I removed the snap ring and shim but there was no way for me to remove the bearing.
IMG_2583.JPG

Then I pulled all of the mangled "caging" material out of the bearing.
IMG_2582.JPG

After turning the wheel hub a few times the roller bearings sorta separated out so I made an executive combat decision.
IMG_2584.JPG

I tapped the sealing plug into the axle housing, filled it with 85-90, and went to work.

Maybe @North Idaho Wolfman or a Kubota technician can help me out.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I can see doing that to get the tractor back to the barn…

Assume you mean YOU went to work, rather than you put the tractor to work!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I don't think that what I wanted to do is possible, at least not a field repair. I removed the snap ring and shim but there was no way for me to remove the bearing.
View attachment 82720
Then I pulled all of the mangled "caging" material out of the bearing.
View attachment 82721
After turning the wheel hub a few times the roller bearings sorta separated out so I made an executive combat decision.
View attachment 82722
I tapped the sealing plug into the axle housing, filled it with 85-90, and went to work.

Maybe @North Idaho Wolfman or a Kubota technician can help me out.
You do know that the purists are going to beat you up on this one.

In a combat situation, you would earn a Medal for getting it working.

I'm no purist. But by the look of the bearings in your photos. You're going to do much more damage if you don't make it right.

Get it to a shop and pull that bearing when you can. Frankly, it's toast.

A bearing puller attachment on a slide hammer... Or better yet a factory manual with specs would be good. To determine whether the inner or outer race is pressed on.

Just sayin'

Reactions: 1 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Ain't concerned with the purist" because as I stated, I was in a combat situation. I had a huge fallen Red Oak tree to remove from my road before our July 4th trail ride/scavenger hunt. There is absolutely no way to bypass or go around this particular section of road, so it had to go.

Thankfully this bearing is not in a high speed situation but more in a loaded application

I have the new bearing and an assortment of shims so the only thing lost was the $12 plug/seal. I need either some expert advice, bearing puller, or whatever. If it has to go to the Kubota shop then that is what will happen and then in addition to the lower bearing it will also get the upper two bearings.

Reactions: 1 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I was able to finish my urgent tractor use with the "combat" decision of replacing the end seal, filling it with fluid, and using the tractor as it was.
IMG_2612.JPG

Yesterday I pressed the inner race from the gear on the right and pressed the new bearing on. Next I used a gear puller and removed the bearing outer race from the axle housing. Sorry I failed to take a picture of the gear/bearing & splined shaft before I installed it but it was a simple matter or tapping the bearing into the axle housing and installing the shim and snap ring. Add the seal plug on the bottom of the axle housing and then about 2 gallons of 80W90.

I am up and running.

Reactions: 2 users

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
Mines leaking I'm just keeping it filled now. I'm brush cutting right now, I'll work on it afterwards. Its leaking were the gasket is where the drop spindle bolts to the center housing. It is usually the seals where yours had issues.... Proud, you seem to know what your doing.