From 2WD to 4WD

Joe460

Equipment
L275 w/Loader
Apr 30, 2010
Newark OH USA
Kubota Experts:

Hi there! New to the Forum

I have an L275 2WD, 1984 vintage I’ve owned since 1985. I use it to maintain my 15 acres. It also was my main mower until I retired it from that work in the late 90s when I acquired a Z-turn mower.

In 2003, I installed a Bush Hog loader, and the wonderful world of having a tool of that nature at your beck and call was now a reality. As most of you know, it’s tough living without a loader.

Well, also as you know, installing a loader totally changes the equation on how the tractor behaves with respect to rear wheel traction. I’m especially hamstrung since I only have 2 WD and no power steering. I’ve loaded the tires and have hung weights on a rear blade that is almost always on the tractor for counter weight. While effective in most cases rear wheel traction is still marginal. And lugging around all that extra weight to counter the loader just puts a strain on everything.

So…I’ve been toying with the idea of converting my 2WD to 4WD. I runs in my mind if I could find an L275DT relic somewhere, I could make the conversion by swapping parts.

Am I limited to looking for an L275DT? I have some thorough factory manuals on hand, and it appears the L235 is simply a lower-powered version of the L275. Is this true? Do they share basically the same components? And within the myriad of tractor models Kubota has in this HP range, what other models would be common? 175, 185, 245? How about some newer four-digit models?

I’ve been searching for 235/275 DTs on the internet and they seem to be somewhat rare. That’s why I need to explore other commonality.

Any thought and ideas out there would be appreciated. Maybe I’m all wet thinking along these lines. Facilities, skills and tools are no issue to pulling this off if possible.

Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The idea of making a 2WD into a 4WD would be alot cheaper if you just sold what you have and buy one a 4x4. I know so many people who have tried to do the same thing on trucks and it ususally turned out bad and someone had to scrap a truck. My dad has a L275 with a FEL and we've never had a mintues problem operating that tractor since new for 30 years in a landcape business. Have you liquid filled the tires to add weight? Also when doing FEL work have something hanging off the back like a heavy 6 foot grading box.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Joe welcome to the forum. Eric is right, I changed an f350 crewcab ford from 2 to 4 wheel and it was a nasty job. It turned out great in the end but the end was a long way from the start. Now--- your tractor, I think the 2w drive has a different transmission than the 4X4. If you found a 4X4 with a blown engine or bad rear end that would work okay. But chances are if the rear diff is bad the front may not be too far behind. SOO-- find one with a bad engine and bad tin and a good drivetrain and you are good to go.Good luck and please keep us posted.If you do find something I would really be interested in the build. We all love pics here by the way.:D Dusty

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think its a bad idea and a bigger head ache then its really worth. You figure you'll need to swap out the entire front axle. Swap out the transmission and the rear end to get the gear box and the split for the 4x4. You'd be alot better off buying one with 4WD all ready on it. Even though 4WD is nice to get you out of a stuck spot in the mud, it's still like a 4x4 vehicale. Too much work and time engaged in 4x4 and you'll break something.

4WD and 2WD has been a great heated debate here on OTT. My dad and I both have been running 2WD Kubotas in out landscape biz for a combine 40 years and neither one of us have really had any major problem with 2WD.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Joe,
If you're still thinking of converting your tractor to 4wd, a great place to look for parts is SouthernGlobalTractor.com. Toll-free: (866) 742-5748.

Anna helped me find a used front DIff for my L225DT. She seemed to know what parts were interchangeable with which models even the gray market tractors. I do know that the "transfer case" on tractors is located in the rear just in front of the rear diff which is bolted to the main transmission. So, like other people have said on here, you'd need to find a rear section of your tractor or similar that is 4WD. Tractor models with 4wd options usually are set up with bolt patterns to accommodate either 2wd or 4wd at the factory to ease manufacturing.

It's worth pursuing the swap if the tractor has a sort of sentimental value to you like mine did to me but like the others on here have said, probably cheaper to sell yours and buy one with 4wd.

Dan

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Keep in mind too that tractors are NOT bulldozers, They have their limits and will not move mountains in a single pass. If you got somelike that a grading box as a counter weight on the rear you should be good to go. The L275 can handle a 6 foot box with no problem, as that's what I have used on mine for years.