Frame bolts. Is this normal?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Pulled the front tire off again. (See my other thread about fixing a flat).

noticed the frame bolts aren’t lined up with the factory paint. Should I loosen these off and try to line them back up andre torque them?

right side

6528DFC6-6D4D-49A7-AFB4-5A7D995C7EB6.jpeg

Left side

805FE988-380F-44E6-9033-BBA45AA95B98.jpeg

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It appears to have shifted from the original position so personally, I would move it back. Looks like the sides moved in the opposite direction. I suspect that the original paint might be underneath the fasteners.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It appears to have shifted from the original position so personally, I would move it back. Looks like the sides moved in the opposite direction. I suspect that the original paint might be underneath the fasteners.
I am surprised to see so much shift. To the point I might be questioning if the correct bolt size were used during installation.

Reactions: 4 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I am surprised to see so much shift. To the point I might be questioning if the correct bolt size were used during installation.
im not going to do anything till I hear back from the dealer. They may want to see it as is. Let you guys know what they say about it. They are pretty good about emails so I should have an answer back tomorrow.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I see the back of some bolts, or they're studs

I see a half a hole showing under the spacer

either the bolt's broke off or the hole's slotted or the hole is just worn oblong from being loose.

never seen any of the above but on the bx's it wouldn't surprise me.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I see the back of some bolts, or they're studs

I see a half a hole showing under the spacer

either the bolt's broke off or the hole's slotted or the hole is just worn oblong from being loose.

never seen any of the above but on the bx's it wouldn't surprise me.
They are bolts. all 4 bolts are still complete.

ya I don’t know why they would be slotted and the machine only has 106hrs on it. So they sure as hell shouldn’t be worn out.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
is it still under warranty?

It really looks like the frames hole has worn oval from being loose or the bolt itself has worn down. I don’t think you would be able to see that much of the hole otherwise. Hopefully the bolt itself has worn and not the frame, but the frame usually wears before the bolt.

Both of the bolts in the 1st picture look loose too. You can see a gap behind the washers.

Hoping its nothing too serious. Best of luck to you.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Looks to me that something has been “run into”. The dealer will likely opine the tractor has been abused and will record that to protect Kubota.

I’d first check the torque on those fasteners. Then I’d neutralize the position of the brackts/bolts and torque them properly ....then keep an eye on it..... and would NOT involve the dealer.

Reactions: 1 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Looks to me that something has been “run into”. The dealer will likely opine the tractor has been abused and will record that to protect Kubota.

I’d first check the torque on those fasteners. Then I’d neutralize the position of the brackts/bolts and torque them properly ....then keep an eye on it..... and would NOT involve the dealer.
With the amount of rust on there, that would have had to have happened a while ago. It’s got warranty and full coverage insurance. i already sent the pics to the dealer. I use my tractor but I don’t abuse it. About the worse thing that’s happened to it, has been getting it stuck, and I’ve never got it so stuck that I couldn’t self recover.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Like Henro said, looks like the wrong sized bolts were used.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Talked to the dealer and showed them the pictures. They said to just torque the bolts.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Did the dealer give you a torque setting for the bolts. Probably not! If it is still under warranty, have them come out and do it. If it has to be reset, then the tech that comes to look at it will do that also. Then there is the other possibility, that when it was shipped to the dealership, it wasn't tight, and they didn't catch it at that time. Part of the price of the tractor was for the dealer to provide warranty service. Let them fix it, it isn't your job!

Reactions: 2 users

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Looking at the second picture, it looks like the spacer was also welded on. Is that a weld that is broken free? Even more reason to worry in my opinion. It could just be spot weld for assembly, but doesn't look good if it is broken.

If the dealer said to just retighten, I would see if a Kubota representative is available. There is no way those bolts should be so loose they move that much. That is a lot of misalignment in my opinion. It may be as simple as loosening and realigning the bolts and tightening the bolts. But that shouldn't fall on you if its still under warranty with that low of hours.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Did the dealer give you a torque setting for the bolts. Probably not! If it is still under warranty, have them come out and do it. If it has to be reset, then the tech that comes to look at it will do that also. Then there is the other possibility, that when it was shipped to the dealership, it wasn't tight, and they didn't catch it at that time. Part of the price of the tractor was for the dealer to provide warranty service. Let them fix it, it isn't your job!
It’s in the manual to torque those bolts to 150ft lbs every 50 hrs. I’m at 106, and planned on doing the 100hr check Sunday +- should be more than 6hrs on the machine.

The other loader frame bolts are 108ft lbs.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would pressure wash the tractor, so when the tech comes to make any adjustments, that it will be clean for him to work on. I just noticed that mine has also moved on one side. Possibly these are supposed to be retorqued by the dealerships before the delivery, and it isn't being done. Mine has only moved about 1/4" and on only one side. Be interesting to see how many others will be reporting that they loader mounts have moved. I would like to know what the torque setting on these bolts should be, and then check them with my torque wrench.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
In the manual. 150 they are 22mm heads

I would pressure wash the tractor, so when the tech comes to make any adjustments, that it will be clean for him to work on. I just noticed that mine has also moved on one side. Possibly these are supposed to be retorqued by the dealerships before the delivery, and it isn't being done. Mine has only moved about 1/4" and on only one side. Be interesting to see how many others will be reporting that they loader mounts have moved. I would like to know what the torque setting on these bolts should be, and then check them with my torque wrench.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Is it possible to upsize the bolts? Is it possible to install a bushing in the frame with the OD the size of the hole, the ID the size of the bole and the same thickness as the frame.