Folks with RCK60 Mower Deck

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Just throwing this question out
You folks who have this deck or variation of it. Just curious how often to you hit the spindles with grease gun and change the gear oil in the gear box? I have the maint manual. Just wondering if there is any other input on this?

Sawdust&Shavings

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870,LA203A,BX6315,BX2767,RCK48-18BX,GCK60-23BX
Apr 25, 2023
Stafford, VA
I only have one acre of grass, so I grease the spindles once a year and I change the gear oil every 2 years.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I have the RC54, but it's basically the same, mechanically.

I typically grease the spindles every 2-4 hours of use. I pump until I hear the crackle of escaping air and grease coming from the upper seal, which means any more pumping and I'm just pushing grease out of the cavity. When I did it yesterday, the right spindle took 4 pumps and the left took 5. Don't forget the belt tensioner pulley! These deck spindle castings hold a lot of grease, so there is some reserve capacity. But, the spindles tend to run fairly warm and at high speed, so I like to keep them well-greased. [When I bought this tractor, maintenance had been neglected and the bearings in the outer spindles were absolutely SHOT!]

As for the gearbox, it's a good idea to check the oil level frequently. These have a reputation for wearing out the lower seal, and if that happens, all the oil will leak out and you're likely to ruin the gearbox. Right after use, when you park the machine, place a piece of cardboard on the floor beneath the center spindle. If you see any spotting from leaking gear oil, that's a signal to be extra vigilant. Not a bad idea either to just lay your hand on the gearbox after use to detect excessive heat. In summary, let the gear box do the talking!

At the end of each mowing season, I take the deck off the tractor, flip it over and give it a good cleaning. Then, I coat the bottom side of the deck with used motor oil to store it over winter. That's a good time also to check the gearbox oil level. And, to grease the driveshaft joints. And, to sharpen the blades.

Yesterday, wifey started mowing the yard, but forgot to gather up the dog chain beforehand. It wrapped up around the center spindle so tightly that I had to remove the blade to get it cleared. She said smoke was pouring out from under the hood. I found that the two drive belts at the front of the engine got flat-spotted. And, then I learned how to adjust the belt tensioner pulley at the front of the engine. Put the belts on the list for next time I'm down near Messick's!

-Paul

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I have a half acre. Garage where I park the machine is a wood floor. Have never seen any spotting under the machine at all. Some maint on the machine had been neglected when I bought the machine. IIRC it had about 860 hrs on it. The deck gear box oil had maybe been changed once or twice in all that time, hydro not once. I took off the OEM factory installed filter. Thankfully, the oil was fairly clean, the screens were pretty clean as well. So I did a full refill with SUDT2.
So up until this year, I have changed the gearbox oil every spring (this will be my 3rd year) so 3rd gearbox change.
I cannot turn that deck over by myself anymore. Actually never could LOL.. It's the only thing I don't like about the machine. Deck is just too big and heavy.
I guess maybe I will start hitting the grease fittings 2 or 3X a season from now on

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I try to grease mine every ten hours or so. Excess grease comes out the bottom seal by design, so I give each spindle ten pumps Just to be sure…

Reactions: 1 user