Flail Mower suggestions for B2650

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Hey folks,

Anyone running a flail mower behind their B2650 (or similar HP size)? If so, what size mower and how do you like it? I was considering a tow behind mower (for atv) to mow occasionally in a swampy area and along some of my paths (weeds/small woody stuff). I also have another acre or so of a grass field that I currently do with a zero turn but maybe I could use a flail on that too.

I have a wooded lot (pretty wet) loaded with awful silver maples that drop sticks all the time. I don't like using my zero turn mowers on those areas as its rather hard on equipment and I get them stuck constantly.

Neighbor has a 6ft land pride rotary cutter, but I think it would be much to big behind my B.

Any suggestions on flail mower make/size and blade types would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Have you tried the 6 foot rotary cutter yet?

If anything, you could mow a more narrow swipe if it***8217;s too much.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm interested in this thread also. I have a mm mower on my B2620, but if I ever do upgrade to a B2650 or Grand L cab I will be getting a flail mower.

More compact than a rear finish mower and can be used for both rough and finish cut.

I have seen lots of people use WoodMaxx flail mowers and I see they are affordably priced, but I have no idea how good they are?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
More compact than a rear finish mower and can be used for both rough and finish cut.
That's my thinking as well. I have too many trees to mow around using a large rotary cutter.

I saw a slightly used flail for sale last year, kicking myself for not snagging it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I will likely get a Land Pride if I do get one. They come in 48, 60 and 72 inch.

Says minimum 30 horsepower though, but shows them as a match for the B series.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Several people on the forum have Caroni flail mowers. I have one I run on the L3560, but I think one of the guys is running the same model on his B2650. They are very well made imho anyway. You can position them offset so you don't have to fuss over a width to cover your tracks and it is easier to mow up next to a fence. Search the forum using Caroni as a search term and you will find several threads. I bought mine with the brush blades, but the consensus of the other threads was that you get a nicer cut on grass with the other type of blade.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
While I don't have a Caroni Flail mower, I do have a Caroni hay tedder I bought from ASC and I have nary an issue with it. Very well made and with shipping, was quite a bit less expensive than the local New Holland tedders were.

I would imagine their flail mowers are just as quality built.

drich

Equipment
B2601
Jun 18, 2017
Colorado
I have a B2601 and have the delmorino flail mower on it . It does a great job and seems to be very well made. It does not fit my land pride quick hitch but I think it is better to direct hook it up to save wear on the pins anyway. It is the 52" one. Bought it from tractor tools direct. They have great CS and they have videos of it on YouTube.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Still haven't pulled the trigger (yet). Been eyeing the woodmaxx units (54" and 62"). They appear to be fairly robust and reasonable priced.

Do most of these other brand units have overrunning clutches in the gearbox?

The other thing that I like about them is that they have a slip clutch instead of shear bolt protection.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
dirtydeed,

We have the WoodMaxx FM78 without the side-shift. It was bought to be used on our Kubota M59. I put it on our B3200 3 years ago. That little beast of a tractor had plenty of power and handled it no problem.

Since we are mowing prairie grass, clover and weeds, the biggest issue is keeping the grill and radiator cleared of seeds, dirt and debris. I did use it to grind up some brush and small trees in a clearing last fall. Chewed through 2 to 3 inch trees and their limbs with little issue. Just go slow and let the engine keep up with the work.

The flail is a little heavy on the back end of our B3200, so I mounted around 175# of weight on the front quick attach that we have for the snowblower.

Make sure you follow the owners manual and check the belt tension, and re-tighten all the mounting bolts.

Digger

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks for the info Digger. What blade type are you using?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Oliver,

Thanks for the links. That mower did a really nice job and only seemed to bog the tractor down a few times despite chopping thru some tall heavy weeds.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
You're welcome dirtydeed, yeah it convinced me too because he was mowing some really tall thick grass/weeds so I have no hesitation going with that flail mower for my property.

Dpop24

Equipment
B7800
Apr 7, 2013
Grass Valley, CA, USA
I have a B3300SU and ordered a Woodmaxx FM62 flail mower which will be delivered next week. I'll let you know how it goes after I get to run it some. If you decide to order one, you'll be in for a wait, it took them almost four months to ship mine after I ordered it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have a B3300SU and ordered a Woodmaxx FM62 flail mower which will be delivered next week. I'll let you know how it goes after I get to run it some. If you decide to order one, you'll be in for a wait, it took them almost four months to ship mine after I ordered it.
Yes, please let us know how it works for you. Four months wait? I thought I saw on their website that out of stock stuff would be in March/April?

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
dirtydeed,

I chose the hammer blades, since I planned to use and abuse the flail to chew up the scrubby growth along the edge of the field, and don't plan to use it on the yards.

You will want to get a unit as wide as your HP will allow. The FM 78 we have will cut from the outside of the left tire track over to the right 74". It does not center behind the tractor. The "H" units offer hydraulic side shift so you can "reach" further to the right by several inches.

Another nice feature is the hinged rear gate. Makes for cleaning debris off the cutter shaft a lot easier.

Digger

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
chatted with woodmaxx folks this am. They were pretty insistent that a 54" would be all that I could handle with less than 20 pto hp. Some will be in end of this month, others they don't expect until May.

At this point, I may just look at another brand. I see others for around $1400. The woodMaxx is approx 1K more.

I know, buy once...cry once. But, it's not an attachment that I'll be using very often.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I wound up placing an order for a FH-EFG135 (53" unit) thru Betstco. They made me a smokin' deal that I couldn't pass up. I really wanted the woodmaxx but the mower and parts (hammers) availability made me a little nervous and the cost wound up being half that of the woodmaxx unit.

I won't be using it very hard or often, so I really didn't want to spend all that much. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the rear later. Time will tell.

Thanks all for your assistance and suggestions.