Flail for a B2601?

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
I have a nice B2601 with a 60" MMM. I need a brush mower so I don't destroy it.

I mow in an orchard and the area between my pipe fence and the road. I encounter heavy weeds, sticks and limbs/roots, beer bottles, etc. that I cannot see from the seat of the tractor.

A Kubota 1548 'bush hog' is $1600. However, I think a flail would be a better option so it doesn't eject rocks or bottles at passing cars on the road or throw stuff into the side of my barn like rotary mowers or bush hogs typically do.

I'm not really interested in cheap Chinese flails so, what brands should I look at? What are my options? How much should I expect to pay?

TIA,
Sid

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
Why do you prefer the rotary mower to the flail? Also, doesn't the flail keep the mower length down so it is easier to navigate in trees?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sid, if you'd like a full review of various brands of flails and the various flails you can attach, I'd suggest a look at Tractor By Net's thread on flail mowers. It's several hundred pages, but you can read a few and get the answers you need.

A flail does not extend out nearly as far as a rotary mower, to give you the necessary working room in the orchard. Also, in an orchard you will not be dealing with any growth of brush so a flail will do fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
I have been through a lot of that MONSTER thread there. Everything from someone unknowingly using a flail as a tiller to lots of old road crew flails being restored.

That is where my desire for a flail largely comes from in addition to what I saw in Europe. Most over there are geared to big tractors though so, I'm over here. Plus, I don't want a cheap Chinese flail like I see recommended a lot.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Several people on this forum got one of the Caroni flails, made in Italy. I have one for my L3560, but a couple people were running the same size on B2650s. Look at your owners manual for recommended width and weight for a 2601. Search on the forum for Caroni flail mower. I'll add the company I got mine from when I remember it. Nice folks.

Tractor Tools Direct

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I’ve had good luck with my WoodMaxx 62” behind my B2650. I’ve mowed small branches and briars with no trouble, and a grass field that was ~24” tall. Had to slow down a bit in the tall grass, but we’re talking almost full speed in low gear.
I have the “Y” blades on mine.
I imagine your 2601 should handle it about as well as a 2650.
I bought mine used rom a couple that simply bought the wrong type of mower for their application. They needed a zero-turn... I believe new price in it is about $2,500. Not sure if that’s shipping inclusive or not... I think it is.