Fixing tweaked B2650 SSQA in the cheapest way possible

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
Well, if you saw my previous thread about the grease fitting, I told you my next issue wouldn't be QUITE so easy to fix...

My used B2650 is wonderful, but does come with a few issues I'd like to correct. The current issue is the SSQA, which as you can see in the picture, has the "feet" out of alignment. My goal is to try and fix it.

So, wrong answers include:
  • Buy a new SSQA
  • Cut it and reweld it
If those are the only options, then I'll just live with it like this. I don't like it because it DOES make attaching stuff more difficult than it should be. I sometimes have to step on the bucket or forks to get it to align enough for the pin to latch. Annoying, but bearable.

I did find a video showing them un-bending their SSQA using the hydraulics. Unfortunately, my FEL doesn't have that configuration, so I can't simply mimic what they did....but something like that seems do-able to me, if I can figure out a safe way to do so.

Youtube: Easy way to fix a bent SSQA

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Just fixed mine about a month ago. Just bumped the forward one against a tree until eyeball straight. Works like new again. Don’t need to overthink this one

Reactions: 2 users

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Just fixed mine about a month ago. Just bumped the forward one against a tree until eyeball straight. Works like new again. Don’t need to overthink this one
Wouldn't the hydraulics fight against being pushed in?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
seeing that there area 'zillion' videos about the problem it seems to be a 'design defect'. Having only 1 cross bar attachment is 'cheap', relying on the attachment for structural support. I know 'technically' no needed, lowers the weight, increases lift capacity, cheaper to build, higher profit but still seems 'wrong'.

'proper' way to realign would be remove from tractor, mount on flat steel bench, measure and then 'replace the defective steel tube, next way is to just tweak' as required.
BTW it will ALWAYS be weaker after being twisted, nature of steel

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Obviously not, since it worked for Yooper. You don't have individual supplies to each cylinder; pushing against one will just force some hydraulic fluid into the other cylinder.

Reactions: 1 user

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Yes. That is exactly what you want to happen.

I know how I bent mine. I was using my bucket hooks to lift something heavy and it got off center and caused the left plate to bend forward. Bending it back was easy with absolutely no drama.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don’t have SSQA, but see it does happen quite a bit.

Like Yooper says, don’t overthink it.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
My SSQA was bent much worse than shown in your photo and could not be straightened
( Photo Left ).
KTAC replaced SSQA and I took damaged SSQA ( I asked for it back and Dealer said no problem) to a local welder that had experience repairing tractors, farm equipment. He had repaired damaged SSQAs several times. In my case we took several measurements off of new SSQA he then cut off the torque tube at loader frame on both ends of tube set everything up on his fixture table and welded in a 2" hydraulic cylinder rod (Photo Center). On the new SSQA torque tbube he inserted a full length piece of 2" round stock and welded round stock to torque tube (photo Right).
I would get your SSQA straight like shown in video or as others have suggested and then sleeve the I.D. of the torque tube with the proper size round stock.

Attachments

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
You are a genius. A little driving into a tree and they were inconsequentially out of alignment. Hooking up the pallet forks was SO MUCH EASIER. Thanks!

And for the record, there's nothing I don't overthink. I think....

• Haha

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I believe a wise man once said "there ain't nothing bent that can't be unbent!"

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
You used a tree, I put a block of hardwood between the disconnected ssqa frame and the loader arm. In a spot that with with the tractor idling, and gentle loader hydraulics dumper lever operation, I could bend the ssqa plate back *just* past straight so it returned to normal position after. The wood block resisted one side moving so the other side could twist back into shape under hydraulic pressure.