Fixer-Upper 2011 RTV900

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
So I bought this 2011 RTV900 awhile ago. I mentioned before it had been used to plow and salt. Unfortunately the rust has effected the rear wheels, the bottom of the dump box, the scraper blade, and the floor. I ordered 2 new wheels and tires from the dealer (good deal, about $140 Canuck pesos per, and just the wheel alone is $130) although I did also order a set of ITP Mudlite 6ply tires today - I'll sell the new tires I guess.

The rust to the dump box frame means the the hydraulic cylinder mount is rusted out and at some point it was extended - without being attached to the box - so it pushed against the starter and cracked the starter assembly housing. It's cast aluminum and hopefully it can be welded - the individual part isn't available and a new starter is $500. I'll have to weld a new frame/base for the dump box.

The muffler was making a dreadful clanging - loose mounting bolt so I put a bushing in to absorb the vibration and cinch it down.

I've ordered a new ignition switch, but I noticed the 60A fuse is blown, so before it goes in I need to find out what caused that.

Does anyone have a publication for the Kubota scraper blade? It was also rusty, and two of the handles are broken off, so I need to figure out how it is supposed to work/be adjusted so I can fix it.

It runs and drives smoothly enough, so with new fluids and filters she should be happy again, although I ordered the SFS Specialties coast valve as it can be difficult to shift sometimes without playing with the brake/throttle to release the pressure.

Appreciate any input, advice, suggestions etc to get this girl looking her best again and ready to work.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
After getting all loose rust off of everything use something like this. Spray it on with a spritz bottle, let is set for a couple of days and you can paint right over it. It stops rust!! I buy it by the gallon. Ospho was designed to protect metal on ships.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Shootem... there’s an aftermarket seller of starters and alternators that, yes, made in china or wherever...but are very good quality and less than $100 exact replacments.... DB Electrical. They sell on Amazon and elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
We need to see some photos!!!! Please!!
Yes, I'll take some today or tomorrow! Thanks to all for the tips. For the rust I have a bucket of corroseal around here somewhere, but I'm interested in this Ospho stuff. On the starter, there's a bunch on amazon for $80-100 and I wasn't sure if I should try it. Worst case scenario I just use that casting from the new one and the guts of the old one I guess.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
The knocking may still be an injector problem. I tore them down and cleaned them and have more power but it still knocks. I will see about getting some new injectors but they are over 200 each.

The centre injector has a leak around the base and bubbles/loses compression. May need some of those copper washers with the new injectors.

Attachments

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Even with exchange and taxes that's cheaper than my dealer. Thanks!