Fix for a sensitive seat kill switch

MacPhly

Equipment
MX5200
Mar 1, 2019
Portland, Maine, United States
My new MX seat switch was too sensitive. It would kill the engine just from leaning over to the right side of the tractor when I was trying to eyeball the loader. So I cut a small metal shim and installed it between the switch and the bracket. I ended up replacing the bolt with one that was slightly longer. So far so good.

bota 4.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
My new MX seat switch was too sensitive. It would kill the engine just from leaning over to the right side of the tractor when I was trying to eyeball the loader. So I cut a small metal shim and installed it between the switch and the bracket. I ended up replacing the bolt with one that was slightly longer. So far so good.

View attachment 42617

Nice work. I need to do something similar for my BX. Don’t want to eliminate the switch completely as I have little kids, but it even shuts off going down a hill unless I’m pushing back against the steering wheel. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacPhly

Equipment
MX5200
Mar 1, 2019
Portland, Maine, United States
I looked for an adjustment but there is none. I tried taking the plastic finger off and repositioning it on the shaft.. it only installs in one position. I considered removing it too but figured that's not the smart thing to do. So my mod was all I could think of. I suppose you could attach a shim to the seat bottom too...

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
Your fix is probably safer than mine. I used 8 inches of tie wire to make it think the seat is planted all the time. I find that standing up while doing delicate loader work with pallet forks is much easier because I can see what I'm stabbing better. I'm sure the safety police wouldn't approve...

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Your fix is probably safer than mine. I used 8 inches of tie wire to make it think the seat is planted all the time. I find that standing up while doing delicate loader work with pallet forks is much easier because I can see what I'm stabbing better. I'm sure the safety police wouldn't approve...

I’d like to disable just the movement switch. The hst peddle is plenty enough of a safety for that. (If you fall off the tractor, presumably the peddle will no longer be engaged. Unless you use the cruise control. I never do...). I would never ever disable the PTO safety switch. I’m always glad it’s there when I have the MMM running. I’ve never forgot to turn it off, but it gives me a nice peace of mind knowing there’s a fail safe when it’s so close to my toes as I jump off to move a rock or pick up a kid’s toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I had the same problem with the MX5800 so I just bent the bracket under the seat towards the lever and it works correctly now too.

1964vette

Equipment
BX23S TLB 60" belly mower
Mar 1, 2018
Buchanan VA
I have a Bx23s, and I too had to lean back when going down hill. I glued a slug out of an electrical box to the bottom of seat bracket to push the plunger of the switch in farther. I also cut one coil off of the seat springs so that it would lean back better, orginally it was tilted forward both in driving mode and back hoe mode.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
The only fix I found that worked was to bypass it completely. ;)
I agree, I'm not very heavy and I stand to make delicate moves like aeronutt. The safety police are out of control. Over engineering and the requirement to protect the corporation from lawsuits is the reason for all the kill switches. I'm extremely careful when operating my tractor and I removed the kill switch and will take my chances and know I cannot sue Kubota for my ignorance. That's the problem, too many lawyers and too many people blaming someone else for their stupidity.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I stuck one of those furniture felt pad protectors on mine, it helped with the leaning around on the seat, but still does its job if I get up. Basically added 1/4" more play in the seat.

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
I just removed and replaced the bolt with a longer one to accommodate the 1/4 bushing I added.

CDad

Equipment
L4700
Nov 3, 2020
La
I agree, I'm not very heavy and I stand to make delicate moves like aeronutt. The safety police are out of control. Over engineering and the requirement to protect the corporation from lawsuits is the reason for all the kill switches. I'm extremely careful when operating my tractor and I removed the kill switch and will take my chances and know I cannot sue Kubota for my ignorance. That's the problem, too many lawyers and too many people blaming someone else for their stupidity.
Hello: Please tell me the actions you took to remove the kill switch (seat switch) and were any jumpers involved? I'm having so many seat safety switch problems, I want to completely disable it and move on.

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>Please tell me the actions you took to remove the kill switch (seat switch) and were any jumpers involved?<<

In my case a kindly technician at my local dealership slipped me a jumper to remedy the situation.

CDad

Equipment
L4700
Nov 3, 2020
La
>>Please tell me the actions you took to remove the kill switch (seat switch) and were any jumpers involved?<<

In my case a kindly technician at my local dealership slipped me a jumper to remedy the situation.
Very nice, I called my dealer earlier today, they told me it can be done by anyone with electrical knowledge but that's all he could tell me. <sigh> And the saga continues. So annoyed with this "big brother" attitude watching out for me as if I'm a friggin child.
Would there happen to be a part # on the jumper you used?

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Hello: Please tell me the actions you took to remove the kill switch (seat switch) and were any jumpers involved? I'm having so many seat safety switch problems, I want to completely disable it and move on.
There were 2 things that had to be done, one was removing a plug in relay and the other was cutting off a wire and connecting it to bypass the system. Not sure exactly what it was, I did it was 6 years ago.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Very nice, I called my dealer earlier today, they told me it can be done by anyone with electrical knowledge but that's all he could tell me. <sigh> And the saga continues. So annoyed with this "big brother" attitude watching out for me as if I'm a friggin child.
Would there happen to be a part # on the jumper you used?
No dealer can afford to tell you how to defeat a safety switch. The liability problems he would face are not worth the risk.

CDad

Equipment
L4700
Nov 3, 2020
La
No dealer can afford to tell you how to defeat a safety switch. The liability problems he would face are not worth the risk.
Yes, I understand that and anticipated their response. If you don't mind, do you know if your jumper had a part #?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
here was my "fix"...

before and after photos.

50176-4bcf46e6b66cd8b51446e9e3a030bd4e.JPG

after:

50178-e8ff635c1414b4c733462976b5649cd5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users