First time buyer

catalin

Apr 14, 2021
Montreal
Hello, another newbie on the site. It is my first tractor to buy. I am from Montreal (so cold winters, a lot of snow) and I am looking for a 6100/6200/7100 with snow blower (preferable a front one), mower (preferable finish) and loader. Not knowing a lot about tractors, I need a good working one, but on a limited budget. Some questions:
1) should it be HST to be able to hydraulic control the loader / snow blower (if it is a snow blower with hydraulic chute)?
2) should be 4x4 for a front snow blower? Does a 2wd has less "grip"?
3) if I buy something like this one:
will I be able to attach a loader and control it?
Or it is better to buy one like this:
and to add a snow blower and mower?
4) will a 6100 snow blower (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2068359203306588/?ref=messenger_share) fit on a 7100?
5) for this 7100HST
do I need other accessories to attach a front snow blower?

The cheapest to date is this one
with this snow blower
But have to look for a loader. And is missing the HST (if I need it for the loader) and it is 2wd...

Thanks for your time and advices.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Cat - welcome to forum!

Llooking at ALL the models you displayed - the first one may be the one to go with - but no loader.

Curious - why the B7100 series? I have 3 of them, but all cut grass and other things...... never snow.

What is your budget?

AND whatever you do ..... make SURE you get 4wd - dont even consider a 2wd for pushing snow!

AND as for a loader on a B7100 - old model or newer model ........... good luck finding JUST the loader........
that is a tough job to do. Finding a machine with LOADER on it ..... somewhat easy,
just the loader....nope!

catalin

Apr 14, 2021
Montreal
Cat - welcome to forum!

Llooking at ALL the models you displayed - the first one may be the one to go with - but no loader.

Curious - why the B7100 series? I have 3 of them, but all cut grass and other things...... never snow.

What is your budget?

AND whatever you do ..... make SURE you get 4wd - dont even consider a 2wd for pushing snow!

AND as for a loader on a B7100 - old model or newer model ........... good luck finding JUST the loader........
that is a tough job to do. Finding a machine with LOADER on it ..... somewhat easy,
just the loader....nope!
Thanks Hokie,
Which other than 7100? Don't want a bigger one. The one with the loader just sold. In 5 hours from listing.... Strange, he said that it included the snow blower and the mower. At 6k (CAD), it was a very good price.
I am looking at something up to 8k (CAD) with all the pieces.
I suppose that the loader is the most difficult to "add-on"... Maybe I will consider to have the loader in front, the mower under, and the snow at the back.
Is it the snow blower on the back better (from the traction point of view)? Will it be of any good to keep the loader in front to make it heavier if the blower is rear?

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have a late model B7100 hst four wheel drive and have used it for the last decade clearing snow off my driveway(blacktop with hill) and my neighbors (flat with gravel) and have been very happy. My front mount mid pto driven 2650 snowblower (50 inch) and 6 foot rear blade do great with turf tires, no chains. I do about 85% with the back blade . Living in central Wisconsin we do not get many snows over a foot but does happen.
I love the size of this tractor for snow removal , large enough to take care of heavy snows, small enough to maneuver in tight spots.

Downside would be no power steering, and with no block heater or heated garage cold weather, below about 10 degrees f, starting can be a bit difficult.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Downside would be no power steering, and with no block heater or heated garage cold weather, below about 10 degrees f, starting can be a bit difficult.
Very true about the power steering ........ hell it is fun just cutting grass and NO FEL!!! I use the suicide ball and it helps a great deal!!!

AS for starting - those B7100 are a bear to start - I glow mine all the time - at least 3 clicks of the hour meter even in the summer time and 6 -10 clicks when cold, and my cold is NOTHING like your cold!!!!

As for the heater - add you a bottom hose heater ...... will work like a charm! Place it on a timer and have it come on about an hour before you want to use it and it will almost start like a summer start..... almost !!!!

Reactions: 1 users

catalin

Apr 14, 2021
Montreal
I have a late model B7100 hst four wheel drive and have used it for the last decade clearing snow off my driveway(blacktop with hill) and my neighbors (flat with gravel) and have been very happy. My front mount mid pto driven 2650 snowblower (50 inch) and 6 foot rear blade do great with turf tires, no chains. I do about 85% with the back blade . Living in central Wisconsin we do not get many snows over a foot but does happen.
I love the size of this tractor for snow removal , large enough to take care of heavy snows, small enough to maneuver in tight spots.

Something like the first one that I posted, isn't it?

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Something like the first one that I posted, isn't it?
i do have mine set up much like it yes. Mine being the late model uses a mid pto to drive the snowblower instead of being driven by belt off a crankshaft mounted clutch and pulley. If I have that fact correct?

I purchased mine with only a mid mount 60 inch mower deck which I had no need for and sold. It took me a year of looking for the front mount blower and sub frame used. I did not get all the parts and had to do some mild fabricating. Plus I had to purchase a hydraulic block to tie into the tractors system and supply a control Valve and mount.

As 85Hokie mentioned finding just a loader and all the associated parts and mounts will test your patience to say the least.

In my humble opinion these can be affordable great little tractors , but due to their age can be frustrating finding Kubota built matched implements .

Good luck with your search for a tractor!

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Which other than 7100? Don't want a bigger one.
There are a variety of Kubota models in that size range, poke around on tractor data site or similar, it lists most of the models.

I suppose that the loader is the most difficult to "add-on"...
I think in order of difficulty to add, it would be:
- Front snowblower (lots of very specific pieces)
- Front end loader (doable but expensive)
- Mid mount mower - they're findable but need to match exactly the mounting points
- Rear snow blower
- Rear mower

Maybe I will consider to have the loader in front, the mower under, and the snow at the back.
Is it the snow blower on the back better (from the traction point of view)? Will it be of any good to keep the loader in front to make it heavier if the blower is rear?
I'd avoid trying to add core attachments to a tractor you bought unless you already know where you can find it. Watch this Messicks video: Caution! Buying used loaders, backhoes, mowers and more.

So, if it were me, in order of priority, I'd look for:
1. A tractor with front snow blower, loader, and mid mount mower already on it
2. A tractor with loader and mid mower (easier to find), add a rear 3 pt snowblower
3. A tractor with loader, add a rear 3 pt snowblower and rear mower

Make sure it's 4WD in either instance.

You don't need HST to drive the snowblower. The snowblower works off the standard hydraulics, most tractors have hydraulics (certainly any with a loader do). The HST is also hydraulic, but it's hydraulic drive, which is a bit different. Having said that, you'll be much happier with HST if you can find it.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
There are a variety of Kubota models in that size range, poke around on tractor data site or similar, it lists most of the models.

I think in order of difficulty to add, it would be:
- Front snowblower (lots of very specific pieces)
- Front end loader (doable but expensive)
- Mid mount mower - they're findable but need to match exactly the mounting points
- Rear snow blower
- Rear mower

I'd avoid trying to add core attachments to a tractor you bought unless you already know where you can find it. Watch this Messicks video: Caution! Buying used loaders, backhoes, mowers and more.

So, if it were me, in order of priority, I'd look for:
1. A tractor with front snow blower, loader, and mid mount mower already on it
2. A tractor with loader and mid mower (easier to find), add a rear 3 pt snowblower
3. A tractor with loader, add a rear 3 pt snowblower and rear mower

Make sure it's 4WD in either instance.

You don't need HST to drive the snowblower. The snowblower works off the standard hydraulics, most tractors have hydraulics (certainly any with a loader do). The HST is also hydraulic, but it's hydraulic drive, which is a bit different. Having said that, you'll be much happier with HST if you can find it.
Paul,
All great advice and information !
I am wondering about you mentioning that a snowblower works off the standard hydraulics. My experience says that the auger and blower will run off a pto shaft on these older B models? I do have a hydraulic ram to raise and lower.

catalin

Apr 14, 2021
Montreal
Paul,
All great advice and information !
I am wondering about you mentioning that a snowblower works off the standard hydraulics. My experience says that the auger and blower will run off a pto shaft on these older B models? I do have a hydraulic ram to raise and lower.
Maybe he is considering only the rear blower, on 3 points that already have hydraulics?

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Maybe he is considering only the rear blower, on 3 points that already have hydraulics?
I would let Paul weigh in but I am guessing he was thinking the raise and lower and possibly the chute functions utilize the tractors hydraulics.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Yeah. I expected a front mount snowblower runs off mid-PTO. It's only hydraulic chute deflection we're talking about here. That doesn't require HST, that just requires a hydraulic connection - probably to your FEL hydraulics (since you can't have a FEL and a front snow blower on at the same time).

For a rear blower, you'd probably not use hydraulics at all other than raise and lower. If you had chute deflection and rotate, I'd personally again connect to FEL connection, which means taking loader off. Or get one with electric rotation/deflection would be a better idea, then you could keep your FEL on and use it for big snow drifts or hacking up big snow banks or whatever.