First post, tricky decision.

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
Hello to all!

I've owned a Kubota L2800DT (29hp, gear, 4wd) since 2005. It has the 463 front end loader and a sub-frame mounted BH80-X backhoe. I also have several 3-pt. implements for mowing, grading, raking, etc. All of this equipment represents a fairly substantial investment.

I bought this machine for 2 purposes:

1) to rehab a 2 acre piece of property (for water table issues requiring re-grading, trenching, as well as 1/2 acre of woods to clear), as well as mow the lawn.

2) to start a business where I could provide similar services to homeowners and businesses

I had gotten a pretty good start on both aspects of the above. All in all, I put nearly 300 hours on the machine, working part-time, between 2005 and 2007.

In 2007 I lost my teenage son to a driver who was texting. She ran him down on his bicycle right in front of my home.
In the ensuing 5 years I have been able to do almost nothing in the way of work. I also lost much of my mind; long and short term memory all but disappeared, as did my motivation to do anything. I lost my job as a commercial construction superintendent and have been getting by by doing small carpentry jobs. Our money has dwindled down to almost nothing.

Long story short, I'm finally feeling a little motivated to do something and have rediscovered the L2800. I've picked up where I left off, with the grading and the trenching for water flow, but have noticed now that I'm no longer terribly fond of a couple of the machine's features.

First, the tranny driven PTO and single-stage clutch is inconvenient for start and stop mowing. Having to reduce rpm's and reengage the PTO whenever I do a k-turn is a PIA :mad:. It's also not conducive to having my wife operate the machine to mow the grass (she's more than capable; just put off by that feature). Second, the non-synchronized tranny is slow to operate when doing loader work. The shuttle works fine, but sometimes you have to be patient and nurse the clutch to get it into gear. A nuisance at best.

I would like to trade up to a machine that eliminates these issues. I'm thinking that the best way to do this, from a $ standpoint, is to take advantage of Kubota's 0%/60 financing to trade for a tractor that will take my my loader and backhoe. I know an L3400 hst would do the trick, but I wonder if the new L3200 would take my loader and hoe subframe?

I welcome all advice and suggestions. :)

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I dont see any reason why the FEL and backhoe wont fit onto a new L3400. The L28, L34, L44 are Kubota's "Standard" tractor, pretty cut and dry on the features. Over all the same tractor just more horsepower and more weight. And seeing how a L3400 is just a step above in the series I dont see any reason why it wont work.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
First off, hello and Glad your here!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I know you're correct, Eric.
I haven't spoken to my dealer yet, but I'm not sure if new L3400's are to be had anymore. All I've seen on the lots are L3200's and L3800's, hence my question.
The 3200 replaced the 2800. The 3800 replaced the 3400. New styling and a few other odds and ends, but basically the same tractors, as far as I know. Good HP difference between the 2800 and 3800 though.

I sure do like my L3800!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hello to all!

I've owned a Kubota L2800DT (29hp, gear, 4wd) since 2005. It has the 463 front end loader and a sub-frame mounted BH80-X backhoe. I also have several 3-pt. implements for mowing, grading, raking, etc. All of this equipment represents a fairly substantial investment.

I bought this machine for 2 purposes:

1) to rehab a 2 acre piece of property (for water table issues requiring re-grading, trenching, as well as 1/2 acre of woods to clear), as well as mow the lawn.

2) to start a business where I could provide similar services to homeowners and businesses

I had gotten a pretty good start on both aspects of the above. All in all, I put nearly 300 hours on the machine, working part-time, between 2005 and 2007.

In 2007 I lost my teenage son to a driver who was texting. She ran him down on his bicycle right in front of my home.
In the ensuing 5 years I have been able to do almost nothing in the way of work. I also lost much of my mind; long and short term memory all but disappeared, as did my motivation to do anything. I lost my job as a commercial construction superintendent and have been getting by by doing small carpentry jobs. Our money has dwindled down to almost nothing.

Long story short, I'm finally feeling a little motivated to do something and have rediscovered the L2800. I've picked up where I left off, with the grading and the trenching for water flow, but have noticed now that I'm no longer terribly fond of a couple of the machine's features.

First, the tranny driven PTO and single-stage clutch is inconvenient for start and stop mowing. Having to reduce rpm's and reengage the PTO whenever I do a k-turn is a PIA :mad:. It's also not conducive to having my wife operate the machine to mow the grass (she's more than capable; just put off by that feature). Second, the non-synchronized tranny is slow to operate when doing loader work. The shuttle works fine, but sometimes you have to be patient and nurse the clutch to get it into gear. A nuisance at best.

I would like to trade up to a machine that eliminates these issues. I'm thinking that the best way to do this, from a $ standpoint, is to take advantage of Kubota's 0%/60 financing to trade for a tractor that will take my my loader and backhoe. I know an L3400 hst would do the trick, but I wonder if the new L3200 would take my loader and hoe subframe?

I welcome all advice and suggestions. :)

Thanks for sharing, homefront. We lost our 17 year old 2 years ago in a car accident, and while I can't and won't say that I know how you feel (the most common, but most insensitive thing to say to a person with a loss), I can relate to the memory and motivation loss. I thought it was just me.
Glad to hear that you are moving forward- that takes time and healing, which doesn't happen overnight.
Mark

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
Hodge, I'm so sorry.

One of the things that really surprised me after he died was how unaware I was of the many losses that families suffer every day.

At 2 years I was still on another planet. Couldn't sleep, didn't know what day it was, didn't care.

It will be 5 years in July and I'm just starting to become conscious again. With this mental awakening comes new struggles -- the unwillingness to accept, questioning my entire life's frame of reference, a challenging of everything I thought I knew. And let's not forget anxiety attacks.

Thank you for your kind words. You have my condolences and my sincerest wishes for some comfort and understanding to come into your life.

Charley

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Even with the fact that your tractor is 7 years old I still cant see there being a huge difference between yours and a 2012 model. Yeah the sheet metal and fenders might have changed over the years but I can't really seeing the frame work where the loader and backhoe bolt up changing that much in the last 7 years.

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
I e-mailed Woods about the sub frame swap.
They replied that it should mount on an L3200 or L3800 just fine.

That helps in the decision making process. :cool:

However, shopping around and looking at other brands has taught me a few things.

Seat access and egress from both sides is doable on many machines in this weight class. Not on the Kubota L's though. :(

The Kioti's and Mahindras have more features (like adjustable lift arms) than the Kubota L's, and for less money.

I know, this is sacrilege....

However; my L2800 has been supremely reliable, as has been my dealer. Those things have great worth as well.

I'll let you all know how things progress. ;)

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
However; my L2800 has been supremely reliable, as has been my dealer. Those things have great worth as well.
Homefront, ya just hit the nail on the head. Supreme reliability is the main reason I've stayed with Kubota for close to 30 years.

The other brands Have to add more features for less money to compete with Kubota.

I love the simplicity of the basic L series, but if' I wanted more features, I'd step up to the Grand L and not even consider the other brands. :cool:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Kubota is the one of the few if not only tractor out there thats Kubota threw and threw. Case and New Holland mergered years ago, so they are both now the same tractor who use Iveco Italian diesels in them. John Deere makes its own tractor but run Yanmar diesels in most of their small tractors. Long, Mahindra and Kioti are all knockoffs of some other major tractor brand. GO to the article section on here and you can read how Kubota and Kioti were paired up for a little time. Kubota was the main builder but using Kioti transmissions. That deal went south fast when Kioti started stealing some of Kubota's design ideas.