First post, please be gentle with me.. Fuel Starvation?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Off road diesel is not the problem. The place you purchased the fuel is not doing something correctly, so just purchase the off road at a truck stop that has a high volume of sales. Those truckers will not stand for fuel problems and the station selling to them knows that. Buy your fuel there and don't pay the road tax for tractor use.

As others have said, been using off road for years and it's not a problem, just know where you are buying it!
Exactly! The only fuel problem I have had in almost 20 years came from buying off road fuel from a place nearby that obviously did not do something right. Might have just been old fuel due to lack of sales, don't know.

Off road from a high volume place that is too far away to make economic sense, never was an issue. Started using on road from a close Sam's club, and no issues whatsoever, period.

The fuel source is most important! I'm with D2Cat 100%.

Parrothead127

Equipment
L2501 with FEL
Apr 3, 2021
East of Atlanta
Everyone should invest in a Mr Funnel. It has a filter in the funnel. You can fill the funnel with water, not a drop will come out you can then pour fuel in it and the fuel will pass thru. So it’s trapping dirt and debris and any water before it enters your tank. They are pricey at around 40 dollars, but what piece of mind on an expensive piece of equipment as in tractors or mowers. I have 2, one for gas and one for diesel.

cpumechanic

Equipment
B2100
Apr 15, 2021
Eastern PA
Ok.. got a great deal at local dealer on the correct Kubota fuel filters, so of course I bought 3, now I need to hide the other 2 so I'll never ever be able to find them.

:)

I am a happy camper, new filter made it run better but it still sputtered and died and was obviously not happy.

So I removed the hose feeding the filter from the gas tank, and drained out about 4.5 gallons of off road diesel that worked perfectly in December.

Poured in 2 gallons of fresh truckstop diesel and it started but sputtered and stopped a few times... Then I decided, hey maybe I better turn on that petcock thingy so the fuel will flow to the rest of the tractor.

Runs fine.. sitting at 2k RPM warming up as I write this, and I can hear it in the back yard.

So thanks to all here who pointed me in this direction and agreed that fuel starvation was the likely problem.

I searched and searched in the factory service module for any method to "bleed the injectors" and for this model B2100 there does not appear to be any procedure in the manual.. just what I will attach for the second time that you are supposed to do when you change the fuel filter.

So.. now back to pushing the topsoil around the garden.

Happy Thanks to all, hopefully this thread will help some other poor soul who decided to cheap out on fuel. No more off road for me.

Well.. After 15-20 minutes of pushing dirt around, it is back to it's bad behavior. Sputtering, and won't run.
I did notice that the fuel filter was not full, when it started sputtering, and after 10-20 seconds fuel slowly filled the filter.. so perhaps there is crap in the tank that is moving around and blocking fuel exiting the tank.
It sure poured out fast when I drained it though..
Will keep investigating, and report back, but as of now it will not start.

Guess I can order the inexpensive fuel lift pump, and throw one of those at it, as I am fully convinced that fuel delivery is the issue.

Wish me luck.

CPU
Just a final update.. after running well for 15 minutes happily pushing dirt around, it started sputtering and stopped, and then refused to start.
I took Sunday off, then pulled the fuel hose from the tank to the filter off this AM. First time I did that I got a big blast of fuel, this time, just a small trickle. This pinpointed the problem as debris in the fuel tank.

I pumped out the tank, looked inside and saw a large brown object sitting in the bottom of the tank. I thought is may be a leaf, but when I vacuumed out the tank with my tiny shop vac.. I pulled something out that was spongelike, and about the size of a dollar bill folded in half. No question this was moving around in the tank, then settling over the outlet. Just finished pushing the dirt around, and all is well. Guess I need to invest in a filter funnel as suggested to avoid dumb issues like this in future. Sure is a nice little tractor when it runs.

Thanks again to all for the help

CPU

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may want to see if there is a screen that fits into the fuel tank filler.

Sometimes things fall into the tank opening when you are trying to do something like pick up the can or ???

My L185 has a plastic frame with a mesh screen that’s about 1.5 inch diameter and 3 inch long.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So what was the first suggestion you received? You're suppose to keep those brown paper sacks out of your fuel tank! :cautious:

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
-Ok.. got a great deal at local dealer on the correct Kubota fuel filters, so of course I bought 3, now I need to hide the other 2 so I'll never ever be able to find them.
-Then I decided, hey maybe I better turn on that petcock thingy so the fuel will flow to the rest of the tractor.
:ROFLMAO:
Glad its all good.