First Chestnuts of the year

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well it looks like a bumper crop of chestnuts this year. They are starting to fall, and if we get the high wind and rain they are calling for tomorrow,, there will be a lot on the ground. And the trick is to get them before the deer and other critters do. The ones I picked up are crunchy and sweet, as far as chestnuts go. maybe I can get some in the freezer of fridge and store them for Xmas,, or not,,, lol

Reactions: 1 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Yep, starting to cool off thank goodness and deer season a week from tomorrow for me. Noticed acorns on the ground so it's finally here.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Not seeing many acorns yet this year. Could be due to moderate drought.
Some years the back hill is so covered that even the tractor feels skittish going down hill.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
The story of the American Chestnut is very interesting, worth reading up on.
Are your chestnuts American or Chinese Chestnuts or one of the hybrids ?

i planted some of the Chinese Chestnut seedlings here in Central Wisconsin but did not take the time or energy to deer proof them.

The efforts to produce a blight resistant American Chestnut is gaining ground with hopes to reintroduce it in the traditional range.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ken I have 6 or 7 Chinese chestnuts, no American. However from what I hear about 40 miles from me they found a small stand of American chestnuts, how true I dont know. And reading up some it seems they have crossing the 2 and with every cross they get closer to the American chestnut and I think the last time I read anything, it was down to like 10% or less Chinese in the cross, and they seemed to be doing OK. I doubt I will ever see chestnuts in the wild in my life time, though I remember when we were kids we would go up to the mountains, ( well over 60 years ago) in the fall so Dad could take pictures of the colors, and we would get some roasted chestnuts from a vendor along the road. A big treat to be sure.

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken I have 6 or 7 Chinese chestnuts, no American. However from what I hear about 40 miles from me they found a small stand of American chestnuts, how true I dont know. And reading up some it seems they have crossing the 2 and with every cross they get closer to the American chestnut and I think the last time I read anything, it was down to like 10% or less Chinese in the cross, and they seemed to be doing OK. I doubt I will ever see chestnuts in the wild in my life time, though I remember when we were kids we would go up to the mountains, ( well over 60 years ago) in the fall so Dad could take pictures of the colors, and we would get some roasted chestnuts from a vendor along the road. A big treat to be sure.
Thanks for the reply ! I envy the trees you have! 👍😀

i have read, (not sure if true or not or by what standards) but the American Chestnut blight was this countries greatest ecological disaster. Billions of chestnut trees lost in a short period of time. Roughly a 50 year period. The American Chestnut besides the yearly nut production was called the cradle to the grave wood. It was used for everything from cradles to coffins and many things in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I believe I have an old decrepit American Chestnut tree. When I bought the place 10 years ago the local conservancy people where all excited and requested permission (that I granted) to collect the nuts in an attempt to propagate them. Having forgotten its worldly importance I currently have a disgusting fly catching bag hanging from an ancient and rare limb. I better take some pictures to confirm its authenticity. I discovered the rock below Friday not far from said tree. Any thoughts ? This is my second download/upload of pictures and its the best I can do. Beachball in size.
tempImage1HlljM.jpg