Finish - Rough Cut Mowing

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I have a new new place. I have multple mowing needs and I'm trying to figure out the best and most cost effective way to get set up for spring.

I have a L3130 with a Landpride 5' Rotory Mower. It works great. I need to mow about 1 acre of lawn and I'd like to mow about .5-.75 acres of want to be lawn. It's not lawn quality yet but the previous owner mowed it short with some high end zero turn. I'll call it rough, short grass. Then, I have lots of mowing needs for the Landpride.

I'm looking for a good used Commercial Grade Zero Turn but keep seeing some nice little tractors with Belly Mounts at half the price. I have a good yard trailer I'll want to haul around for misc work.

I'm thinking I'll mow the 1 acre every 7-10 days and the rough yards less frequently. Finally, it would be really nice if the Mrs could manage the equipment. She'll be retired and I'll still be on the clock for a few more years. Thoughts?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I personally like to cut my yard using a zero turn. Mine is not sub division quality by no means and with a 60" deck it takes me about 2 hours.

The zero turn allows me to be nimble around trees and it the smooth flat places move a quick clip.

if I was using a belly mover don't think any way I could cut as quick as I do now. The tractor depending on size may in fact compact the soil more thus reducing quality of your grass.

I too have brush hog needs in other areas of the farm but I use the zero turn weekly to cut what I consider yard, shooting range, and around barns and garden.

Best of luck. Don't think you would be disappointed with a used zero turn.

I have 2012 Exmark Lazer Z. I'm not partial to the brand but in 8 years no problems with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I cut about 4 to 5 acres of "grass" on a BX with 60" deck. It is not a yard, but looks like one from a distance, maybe even if walking on it.

The thing I like about the BX is it can be used for other things that a zero turn would not be able to do. Tractor type stuff. Even if the mower deck is kept on.

No doubt that for grass cutting only, the zero turn would be the best choice. If you want a show piece lawn, the zero turn would likely be the best choice.

At the end of the day though, I would not trade my BX/MMM for a zero turn. I do have a larger tractor I use for tractor stuff for the most part. But in some cases the BX compliments the larger tractor, like pulling a landscape rake or trailer.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
With a 7 foot finishing mower and you don't have to deal with another engine.

Zero turn will still run circles around a finish mower but at what cost?? ...and with extra maintenance.

I have a Bush Hog 72" finishing mower and love it... it's a tank. With a L3130 you should be able to run a 96".

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Look and see if you think a flail mower has any value in your situation.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I couldn't see myself mowing 1 acre let alone 2, so I plowed it up, got the wife to plant veggies.. I'm down to 1/5 acre to mow and she makes 4-5K off HER garden..so we both win !
if you want a 'pretty' lawn ,you need to fertilize it, deweed it and cut every 4-5 days, never cut more than 1" off at a time....it takes a LOT of WORK to make AND keep 'pretty' lawns.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm amazed at how fast my 54" zero turn can cut an area. I can cut so much faster than it would take using a cutter behind my tractor. In addition to my yard, I kept my fields cut this last year, which are about two acres combined.

I bought it for my yard and did not really intend to cut my fields until I found out how fast I could cut compared to my rotary cutter. Like mentioned, extra upkeep and cost of the machine would be a factor though.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I couldn't see myself mowing 1 acre let alone 2, so I plowed it up, got the wife to plant veggies.. I'm down to 1/5 acre to mow and she makes 4-5K off HER garden..so we both win !
if you want a 'pretty' lawn ,you need to fertilize it, deweed it and cut every 4-5 days, never cut more than 1" off at a time....it takes a LOT of WORK to make AND keep 'pretty' lawns.
I mow about 4 acres but never worried about a pretty lawn.

Satisfied with a pretty enough lawn...actually, satisfied with something that looks like a lawn...a smooth green area that may actually be clover and short weeds! But it works for me...It is really no work except for some time spent on the tractor. Something I enjoy.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd suggest something like a landpride 72 inch 3PH finishing mower if you are only mowing half to three quarters of an acre. It's a lot cheaper than the ZTR and grass tear up on turns won't be an issue. If you are planning to mow 3-5 acres get the ZTR. Commercial ZTR's are FAST, have a rough ride, and can be dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced or low skilled operator.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Thanks all. I found what I think is a good deal on a used ZT. Wifey already gave it a test drive and the thumbs up.

I don’t like the idea of another machine to manage and pay for but don’t see another good way out. She would not be able to drive a finish mower on the L3130 and I really want to use the free and readily available labor.

P.S. I don’t think she know this forum exist. Trouble would arise if she knew I considered her “ free Labor “. Oh, it’s not free by any means.