Finish mower idea

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
While posting in another thread about a finish mower I remembered something that I saw on a friends mower last summer.

He is an older gentleman, in most every sense of the word. while I was waiting on him one day while he was caring for his wife I was just "poking" around. I glanced at his finish mower and something caught my eye. I thought I saw brake hoses. Yep i did see brake hoses, 3 of them! looking closer i saw that he had replaced the zerks with the hose. He brought them out to a bracket welded to the frame used the new hose clip that came with it. then the zerk was placed into the hose end.

He needed a more efficient way of greasing the spindles. i think when it is easier to do, it'll get done more often. This ol' fat boy has that on his list this spring to do to his finish mower!

Just an idea,
Kytim

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Sounds good, especially if it'll make maintenance easier. For myself it wouldn't work so well though, my fittings are on the underside of the spindles. As ofter as I wrap something around the spindles it would destroy any kind of tubing under there. Now if you have a nice clean mow area that would be different.

Ron

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Good idea for sure. Word of warning though. Make sure the line you install is rated for the pressure that will be applied by your grease gun. I have several different ones that I use. At home a air Lincoln full auto that makes up to 6500 psi. In the field a elec. Lincoln that can produce 6000 psi. Depending on the size of your zerks it might be wise to spend a few extra bucks and put short replacement grease gun lines. Better safe than sorry.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yup thats a good idea,, they have been using things like that on mining equipment for as long as there has been hoses,, it make life a lot easyer :D

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
One thing to remember, you still need to clean the grass clippings from around the spindles. I don't know how bad it is on a three point hitch finish mower, but on my L175 with 13.6-16 turf tiresand a belly mounted L59 Woods, I get a lot of clippings on the the deck.

Robert

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't know about every brand but my Bushhog has a flat top where the spindles are mounted and doesn't catch clippings bad at all. What does get on there can be washed right off with a water hose.