Finding the Correct Grade?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Hi Folks,

I have a new pole barn and I need to do some grading work to get the water moving the way I want it to go. My Little L3130 with a saw tooth bucket is moving the soft, black dirt nicely.

While I can eyeball it, I was thinking I should deploy a leveling tool of some kind to assure I have it graded correctly. I have used a line level but it would be nice to be a ble look at it while working ( have the Mrs. hold a pole I'm thinking ). This project is a little too be for a string. Any suggestions on what wont break the bank?

I was thinking of mounting a old 1X power rifle scope to a tripod but haven't tried to rig it up yet.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Rotary laser level with a guide rod is relatively inexpensive as mentioned above and you can easily gauge changes in grade. Bosch makes great units that can be had for cheap if you snag a factory refurbished unit. I've used one on a patio project in the past and it was very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi Folks,

I have a new pole barn and I need to do some grading work to get the water moving the way I want it to go. My Little L3130 with a saw tooth bucket is moving the soft, black dirt nicely.

While I can eyeball it, I was thinking I should deploy a leveling tool of some kind to assure I have it graded correctly. I have used a line level but it would be nice to be a ble look at it while working ( have the Mrs. hold a pole I'm thinking ). This project is a little too be for a string. Any suggestions on what wont break the bank?

I was thinking of mounting a old 1X power rifle scope to a tripod but haven't tried to rig it up yet.
Rent a laser level!

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
You could also rent/borrow a surveyor's level & rod for a day. Set some grade stakes to your liking with what's caled "stake chasers" on top of the stakes. As you remove material and get close to final grade......the stake chasers become visible to let you know. Depending on how long your grade is, the low end laser levels may be hard to see in bright daylight.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Put several 'grade' sticks in all four corners on the diagonal.,maybe every 2 bucket widths apart form building to 'far,far away..... grade the corners first then the land in between them
have yet to see any LASER, cept the 10 WATT green ones I have work in daylight....

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have a TopCon RL-SV1S laser, I love the thing, single slope, crazy range, 360°, its so easy to use.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I use a Topcon Laser works great. OP you could always go buy one from a pawn shop or local marketplace, sell it when you are done

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Put several 'grade' sticks in all four corners on the diagonal.,maybe every 2 bucket widths apart form building to 'far,far away..... grade the corners first then the land in between them
have yet to see any LASER, cept the 10 WATT green ones I have work in daylight....
You dont need to see the laser. It has a reciever that sees the laser and makes beeps to tell you if you are high or low.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Pound some stakes in the ground, run a string to them and attach a string level and then dig around the stake to the level you want. Then grade the rest of the land with the machine to match those areas where the stakes where or leave the stakes and the string in place .. That's how we used to do it. Cheap, easy and no batteries required!!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Pound some stakes in the ground, run a string to them and attach a string level and then dig around the stake to the level you want. Then grade the rest of the land with the machine to match those areas where the stakes where or leave the stakes and the string in place .. That's how we used to do it. Cheap, easy and no batteries required!!
Stakes with string level is a very crude method.
A rented laser level will not be expensive, and will be easy/simple.
Bright natural light has no effect!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Depending on how long your grade is, the low end laser levels may be hard to see in bright daylight.
I have one of the cheap laser ones, it is only usable at midnight with a cloud covering the moon. I use my old fashioned transit and do the stake thing mentioned earlier. Only if I were doing a lot of work would I buy or rent equipment, the old stuff does just fine.