Find TDC on a Kubota D850 engine

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Hi all.
I have a D850 engine in a Neuson mini digger and I intend to do Compression and Air pressure tests on three cylinders as described elsewhere on this forum.

Engine runs well but difficult starting in cold weather. In these Covid Virus days I can chase down the starting problem.

Problem is that Neuson have not provided an inspection" timing" port on the bell end of their equipment and I am as a loss as to how to find TDC to carry out the tests.

My current thinking is to take off the sump and go from there.

The front end of the crankshaft has the vbelt pulley with lockwasher, hex nut and splines. I don't know if the flat on the lockwasher could indicate shaft position and have not taken it off to see how it locks.

If anyone has a better and easier way of finding TDC I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Remove valve cover.

Watching the action of the intake and exhaust valves should get you to TDC pretty close enough to do your leakage tests.

First intake opens, then intake closes, just before exhaust opens will be TDC.

Dave

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Remove valve cover.

Watching the action of the intake and exhaust valves should get you to TDC pretty close enough to do your leakage tests.

First intake opens, then intake closes, just before exhaust opens will be TDC.

Dave
If you go to all that trouble for goodness’ sake’s MARK YOUR CRANKSHAFT PULLEY for future reference.