Filter on my radiator

Bluelick

Equipment
B7100, MMM, pond scoop, carryall, boom pole
May 24, 2011
Berea, KY
Hi folks,
This may have been covered elsewhere so forgive me if so, but I want to share an experiment I am doing. I have had trouble with my 1980's B7100 HST overheating when I'm cutting heavy, deep grass with my belly mower (deep as in mowing a grown up field). With only the thermosiphon to rely on, the old B7100's are prone to getting hot. This is alleviated by cleaning the radiator fins. To do a really good, thorough job, that has required removing the radiator and hosing it out from the engine side while it is lying flat on the ground. I did this years ago when I first got the tractor, and it worked well. A lot of gunk comes out. After that I would clean it as best I could while in the tractor but the gunk built up again over time. This year I had to replace the radiator hoses so I gave it a very thorough cleaning again and then ordered some thin fiberglass air conditioner filter material which I cut to fit and installed in front of the radiator. I got enough for $5 to cut two pieces and a scrap that just fits over the hydraulic fluid cooler. It just sits in front of the radiator, behind the screen. My plan is to rotate the two pieces when one gets full and then try to wash and blow out the one that is dirty. Yesterday was my first time for a big mow since doing this, and I had no overheating at all--I was concerned that the filter itself could cause that but so far so good. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this. Even if I have to toss and replace the filter when it loads up, it will be a lot better than having to pull the radiator. I'll put a link below to the filter material I used. It is very porous. https://www.amazon.com/F1527-15-24-...4T9BS7663KD&psc=1&refRID=Q0BMZNEZZ4T9BS7663KD

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It is fairly common to use the filters as you describe.

I have used the thin filters from Filtrete that have the paperboard frame. But they are a bit too large and the frame gets mangled. I then switched to a blue media from Filtrete that is frameless and about 3/4 inch thick. It worked well in front of the standard tractor screen and can be cut to the shape that fits best.

Just be sure to clean it fairly often since it will get loaded fast by dust and seeds

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
My G5200 has a removable screen infront of the radiator. If I do not pull it and clean it regularly... .then engine temp goes up.

I hate to think what would happen if that pull-out screen was NOT there.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you've got some space, why not install a real water pump ? OK, it's 'bodged' and not 'original' but it's sure cure the overheating..