Filter Guards/ Protection

DanimalStyle

Equipment
L2501
Mar 14, 2023
Columbia, MO
Gents,

Most if not all my work is done in the woods in Mid Missouri clearing trees/ invasives and I want to protect the filters on my L2501, I keep reading about horror stories of limbs ripping filters off and etc. So far I am tracking (3) company’s that do filter guards: Ded-Con, Zooks Welding, and Specialty Repairs Custom Mods.
I have searched the interwebs, here, and YouTube but haven’t found anything about reviews, Pro/ Cons but only an install video or two.
With the experience on this site, what are the recommendations for filter guards on a L2501?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I bought the Zooks Welding ones. The install wasn't that hard, but definitely more than a few minutes. You may be faster. I took my time. I installed the hydraulic filters and fuel filter.

If you plan to protect the front as well, I bought a 511 Designs grill guard.

Finally, I bought floor mats here from Hawk67. They are made out of stall mats, so they are very thick. They are just drop in, and I find them great.

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
I used Specialty Repair custom Mods on my B 2650. I have the fuel filter, hydraulic filter, and HST filter guards. All of them use holes already in the frame. It takes only a few minutes to install. They supply the guards and bolts to install

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT

DanimalStyle

Equipment
L2501
Mar 14, 2023
Columbia, MO
I used Specialty Repair custom Mods on my B 2650. I have the fuel filter, hydraulic filter, and HST filter guards. All of them use holes already in the frame. It takes only a few minutes to install. They supply the guards and bolts to install
Do you have to remove the guards to change the filters out?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Most guards that will protect the filter must be removed to service the filter. If a guard was designed to make servicing the filter easily, then it wouldn't be a guard, but a piece of decorative steel surrounding the filter. You can't have something that will protect the filter from harm, and make it easy to service that very same filter.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Most guards that will protect the filter must be removed to service the filter. If a guard was designed to make servicing the filter easily, then it wouldn't be a guard, but a piece of decorative steel surrounding the filter. You can't have something that will protect the filter from harm, and make it easy to service that very same filter.
I don't know who makes the "most". ;). But, you can see from the photos on the site what amount of protection the Zooks has and how much access you have to the filter.

True that the filter is able to be accessed from the side. If you think you need protection from that direction, I guess you could bolt on another plate. I think that is highly unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user