FHM tiller tines not turning

SpokaneDude

Equipment
BX2350, FM 125 tiller, Land Pride blade, BotaProducts fuel & HST filter mods
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
I have a FHM FH-TL105 rotary tiller; the PTO clutch assembly turns the transmission shaft, but the blades don't turn. I suspect that the transmission chains are the problem (broken), but don't know how to tell without tearing the unit down... any other ideas of what might be causing the problem?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a FHM FH-TL105 rotary tiller; the PTO clutch assembly turns the transmission shaft, but the blades don't turn. I suspect that the transmission chains are the problem (broken), but don't know how to tell without tearing the unit down... any other ideas of what might be causing the problem?
Are you certain there is not a shear bolt in the pto shaft?

I see that these tillers use a slip clutch so disregard the above comment.

Remove the oil fill plug on top of the chain case and see what you can inside.

Breaking chains is very unlikely. Shearing a key locking a sprocket to a shaft would be more likely.

Was there a big incident?

Dave

Last edited:

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA

Dave
Hi Dave...thanks for responding... I didn't see any shear bolt on the PTO shaft; if it was the shaft, then the transmission shaft sitting on top of the case would not turn, but it does turn...

I just spoke to Beststco's service dept, and they also think it's the chain, so I'm going to move the tiller into my shop so I can easily work on it. I will get back to you with the results... btw, it's still under warranty... whew!

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA

I see that these tillers use a slip clutch so disregard the above comment.

Remove the oil fill plug on top of the chain case and see what you can inside.

Breaking chains is very unlikely. Shearing a key locking a sprocket to a shaft would be more likely.

Was there a big incident?

Dave
No big incident that I'm aware of... tilled one 20' row, turned around to do it again, and that's when I noticed tines not turning... I have put it in my shop and will start working on it later on today or tomorrow am... thanks for the response.

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Hi Dave... got the chain box disassembled, and indeed it was the chain... one of the links separated from it's carrier.
Thanks again...