Fencing Project: Saws and fasteners

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
After getting an estimate on some fencing repairs, I have decided to settle for patching up what I've got. I want to put up a 2 x 6 top rail on a section that has woven wire on the bottom and an electric wire on the top. The deer and the falling tree branches are always messing up the hot wire. The 4 x 6 posts are in pretty decent shape and were supposed to have been put in 8 feet apart, but aren't, so there will have to be a lot of cutting of the boards. (Plan A, years ago was to work toward 5 ft unclimbable mesh horse fencing with 16 ft top rails, but not happening.) It is far enough from the barns that a battery powered circular saw would be easier than measuring first and cutting up in the barn and hauling the boards out there. Ground is hilly so some will need to be cut on an angle.

So what is a good choice in saws for this task? I have a couple of de walt things, and maybe the batteries would work, but easy to handle is a major consideration. Lots of after Xmas tool sales :):eek:

Second, fasteners. I have drifted toward using deck type screws on recent repairs rather than nails, and have a battery powered drill driver set, but have problems stripping the heads of the screws, or if they are going good they disappear into the wood. (You can stop laughing now, I know this is a skill issue. :rolleyes: I would like to be able to back these screws out for easier repairs, but am not finding deck screws with the right sort of heads. (Usually drill pilot holes when stripping is a problem in some wood). So suggestions of brands with sturdier heads would be much appreciated, this is a long stretch of fence. Also any technique suggestions. I am borrowing my neighbor's 14 yr old son for a helper so I need to set a good example. :D

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
For almost all 2x construction, I now use 3 inch deck screws with T25 heads, installed with an impact driver. Very satisfied.

If I only have a few boards to cut beyond cord reach, I use a Japanese-style very thin pullsaw. It is surprisingly fast and easy. If there is a lot of sawing, I can take an electric circular saw and generator.

Bruce

Last edited:

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I have heard that the brushless tools have a longer battery life, but I don't use my battery stuff enough to justify upgrading. I do have a battery circular saw, on 1 big project I made a cord to hook it to a car battery.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Agree the T25 heads are best where considerable torque has to be applied to get the screw in..

I've also found that battery impact drives with adjustable torque settings will get a screw in (or out) better than a simple drill drive and not twist the screw off/breaking it in harder materials.

Found out how impact drives are much better at not breaking bolts (operator judgement required, use moderate torque) on some farm equipment with frozen rusty bolts.. Let the impact drive hammer on a stuck rusted bolt for say 15 to 30 seconds and the bolt will get extremely hot from the cyclic twisting forces and help them break free. Trying same with wrench ended up breaking the bolts.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Depending on how many cuts I have to make, I use a cordless circular saw. It works fine with two large batteries.

I also use 3" deck screws.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I work as a carpenter and use Makita saws, impacts and drills. I didn't notice how many feet you need to do, but most of the good brands would cut quite a few on a battery. I have extra batteries and 2 chargers. My screws are about $8 a pound box and have drill points on them. I don't know what brands you have out there but cheaper usually aren't as good. Most people when they have trouble with torx screws aren't keeping the bit square with the screw and not feathering the trigger when its almost in. Hope it goes well

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I have been using the SPAX brand screws lately and I like them. The local Menards here carries them. They do not split boards and they are a Torx drive.

An impact driver is much better for screws than a drill.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I suspect we will wear out or get cold before the battery goes dead on any given day. There are 71 boards needed, and so I will need to make multiple trips to the lumber yard. This is not an all in one day project. :eek:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've switched to the square drive head deck screws, Menards has them in bulk. Easier to drive and no stripping issues,

I use (of all things) a Harbor Freight 20 volt Li-Ion cordless circular saw or I take my Inverter Genny (2000 watt Champion) and put it on the quad and use that for portable power with a corded power tools. I find that to be the most convenient power source actually.

The HF 'Bauer' and 'Hercules' cordless power tools have really surpassed DeWalt in price, quality and long life. DeWalt is over priced, especially the replacement batteries. Worth a look.

I imagine cattle are easier to contain than sheep, never having any I'm not all that sure though. We run the horses with the cattle in the same pastures, They seem to get along fine.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My advice for a screw gun is a 1/4" impact driver. And since you already have Dewalt, you should stick with it. They are good quality guns.

The lithium Ion guns are nice. And the driver is light weight and strong. Ever since I got mine, it's my go to for any fasteners. I've noticed on harder materials the screw goes right in with out the dreaded stripping or snapping that usually occurs. Plus the driver is lighter then my regular screw guns :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
If your having trouble with stripping the heads of the screw it's usually one of two thinks, either your not putting enough force on the driver or your tip driver tip is worn out when I do a project I usually have a couple spare tips and if they spin in the screw I throw them away, also I don't buy the cheapest ones the Dewalts are not bad and easy to find as far as batteries going dead when I have a job with lots of cutting I use the 60 volt battery from my chainsaw it makes the tool much heavier but it last a long time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sheepfarmer-

I second Daren’s recommendation on the little impact drivers. They’re really handy.
I seldom use my drill anymore....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Since you have Dewalt may as well stick with it. If your batteries are good you can by the bare tool off Amazon much cheaper. The impact driver will serve you well.

I use cheap bar soap on my screws when they are hard to drive in. Throw a bar of dial soap in your coat pocket drag the screw across it and drive it in. Works well for me.

Keep extra bits handy and keep bit clean of screw shavings.

The torx heads do well and the square the same, i use both. If using 2x lumber you can get by 2 1/2 screws, still leaves 1 and little more when you counter sink screw so maybe 1 1/4 holding.

For example I have 4 20v chargers and 8 batteries so when I need new tool I just by th bare tool did the same with my Dewalt grease gun, 125.00 instead of I think 200.00 for the gun, charger, and batteries.

Some thoughts and ideas good luch sheep.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A minor point on screws- while the T25 head screws work great, I often find them to be just a little more expensive than square drive screws. (not much, but might make a difference in large quantities) The square drives work every bit as well as Torx. (maybe better; I have stripped Torx, but can't remember ever stripping a square)
Just my .02.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
GRK #9 x 2-1/2-in Yellow Polymer Countersinking-Head Interior/Exterior Wood Screws (100-Count) are nice deck screws to pull the boards up tight

Ledgerlok type screws are also nice since they have large heads and drive easily

Look at making some type of rest to put the board on in the correct height then screw into the post. Using a small pry bar to adjust height will help you out also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a friend who often has his 15 yr old grandson help him on his farm. He bought a 40 volt chain saw from Harbor Freight and has his GS cut down Cedar trees up to 6-7' tall. Friend says it's a fantastic tool. Extremely safe, stops instantly trigger is released. He said the battery lasted him through a couple of hours of cutting and he couldn't believe how much he had cut when he came to check on him the first time.

A chain saw can do a pretty nice job when rough cutting lumber. Might be an easy and safe tool for both of you to use. And...be something you can use for other tasks.

The best thing you could do the keep that you man interested in helping you in other projects is to keep him full of his favorite cookies, and keep him stocked up when he leaves for home!!!:D

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Wow, there are a bunch of good ideas above! Thanks very much. Sounds like I should get a sampling of the different kinds of deck screws and try them.

I think wbk is correct about the source of the stripping problem, I can get them started slowly but then they get out of hand because applying more pressure tends to cause the trigger finger to grip harder too.

I dug out my drill driver set, and the driver claims to be a 1/4 inch cordless impact driver, but of the various models seems to be the least powerful, 117 ft lbs versus 150. Any hammering is undetectable. But I also think it lacks a feature I saw on someone else's de Walt that seemed to give him more control at slower speeds, some kind of switch. Anyone tell me what that is called? Mine says NOT to use variable speed range constantly???? Seems goofy to me.

Edit: Ok I found a model of de Walt that has a 3 speed transmission, so that must be what I saw. Don't know if that would help enough to warrant buying another driver though.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a friend who often has his 15 yr old grandson help him on his farm. He bought a 40 volt chain saw from Harbor Freight and has his GS cut down Cedar trees up to 6-7' tall. Friend says it's a fantastic tool. Extremely safe, stops instantly trigger is released. He said the battery lasted him through a couple of hours of cutting and he couldn't believe how much he had cut when he came to check on him the first time.

A chain saw can do a pretty nice job when rough cutting lumber. Might be an easy and safe tool for both of you to use. And...be something you can use for other tasks.

The best thing you could do the keep that you man interested in helping you in other projects is to keep him full of his favorite cookies, and keep him shocked up when he leaves for home!!!:D
I am intrigued by this one, I don't use my little chainsaw any more, never really got good at it, but would like something to prune the big lilacs that was safe. A pruning saw will do a lot, but is really labor intensive. Generally not willing to let someone else's kid use a chainsaw, but if I could use it, he might be safe enough.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Sheep, I bought this saw for pruning back in the summer it is mean. I love it, even had a pine fall across a path at my deer lease about 10" across. I removed all the limbs and cut into sections so I could roll it into the woods. Did this on one battery.

Great for rough cutting lumber as well. The best is you don't smell like 2 cycle oil when you only need to do 30 minutes of work.

I bought this one with no battery as I stated in earlier post have plenty of batteries and chargers.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCCS6...546138597&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+chainsaw+20v