bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
5A31B2C2-2D14-41B3-9DA9-BFF32C30D8D7.jpg

4F8267A1-87E0-4A30-9B71-22C67DD4600C.jpg

717E2EC5-7A17-4108-BCF4-8D04B755F11C.jpg

This year we are really having a deer problem. They are eating all the new trees, and colorful plantings. So started a fence line from the front gate, running about 75 feet off, along the North, to the N side of the shop, about 550 feet away. Theres a natural game trail north of where the new fence is running, so it wont affect their travels, just their free food diet. 440 feet done, and 4, 14 foot wide gates installed.

Last edited:

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
Hate to say it but that fence might keep the coyotes out. But the deer will jump right over it. You need a 8' tall fence if you want to keep deer out

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Maybe if what you have inside of the fence are some of NIW's wolves....:eek:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Deer and coyotes ignore my 4ft field fence.

The garden is on a terraced hillside. It has a 5ft fence with a wire about 8 inches above it. There are no good landing and takeoff spots for the deer, so one has never been inside.

Bruce

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There is a guy around here that raises Xmas trees. He trains his deer to stay out of the new trees, he said the bucks would jump the fence and rub the snot out of the young trees when they shed their velvet. How he trains them and according to him it has about a 90% training rate, he hangs tin plates, like you get store bought pie in, from the electric fence wire he has run around the the outside of where he has the young trees, and he smears peanut butter on the pans. The young deer smell the peanut butter and take a lick, get knocked on their arses and pretty much leaves a real bad impression about what might be over there. He said it works I don't know but he makes a living from the trees

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Well between clearing the excessive brush, putting up the fence line, and a few well placed motion detection LED spot lights, I can track the deer where they came to the fence line, turned around went back to the old game trail and continued on thru. No new trees were eaten.
I’m not trying to create a prison looking fence, the fence line is hard to see unless you really look for it, which was the plan. So far keeps the Corgi’s in and other critters out. The deer like to stay in the thicker stuff, so the disruption along the fence line probably helped.

BilgeHead

Equipment
B7100, 1630C, bush hog,
Jul 19, 2020
Oregon Forest
I put in an orchard and an electric fence around it using steel post, The post were high enough to run an uncharged line at the top. I folded light weight black netting over the top wire and secured it with tie wraps. The deer see the netting above and choose to go under it, making contact with the electric fence. They don't try to jump the fence because it's easier to duck down.
In the winter the ground gets soft and steel posts . I hammered 1.5" round posts (type used for chain link fence) on the 4 fence corners until about 2 feet was left above ground. I drove in the corner posts and attached with U clamps to the round post. This keeps the corner posts straight without braces and I can mow close to the corners. At the entrance one post had some stress so I used a 3/4" x 36" galvanized pipe as a brace. It was driven into the ground 6" from the post at 45 degrees until it was even with the base of the post, then attached with a screw. So the support brace is completely under ground.
The deer stay out but sometimes elk reach over the fence to eat the fruit.