FEL loss of power

Pcekpr

Equipment
L3901
Nov 29, 2018
Panama City, Florida
I have an L3901 HST. It has developed a problem. If the three point lift is is fully lifted, there is very little power to the FEL. I can move the implement lever forward to the middle of its range and the FEL functions fine. Fluid level is full. I change the engin oil and filter and both hydraulic filters every 100 hours.
I did get the tractor stuck before this started but can't see any obvious causes.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks on advance

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have an L3901 HST. It has developed a problem. If the three point lift is is fully lifted, there is very little power to the FEL. I can move the implement lever forward to the middle of its range and the FEL functions fine. Fluid level is full. I change the engin oil and filter and both hydraulic filters every 100 hours.
I did get the tractor stuck before this started but can't see any obvious causes.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks on advance
Typical cause is a mal adjusted 3 pt hitch feedback link.

When the 3 pt lift arms reach the top of their stroke, there is a link connected to one of the upper lift arms which kicks off the flow to the 3 pt hitch otherwise, the pump will be constantly having to dump its excess pressure though a relief valve leading to hydraulic overheating.

I will look and see if I have the adjustment instructions for your tractor.

Edit:
Found the following for your tractor.

forum L3901 feedback rod.jpg

forum L3901 feedback adjustment.jpg

If the link has become disconnected you will end up with the same symptoms as a mal adjusted one.

Ask questions if this is not clear.

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Pcekpr

Equipment
L3901
Nov 29, 2018
Panama City, Florida

When the 3 pt lift arms reach the top of their stroke, there is a link connected to one of the upper lift arms which kicks off the flow to the 3 pt hitch otherwise, the pump will be constantly having to dump its excess pressure though a relief valve leading to hydraulic overheating.

Edit:

View attachment 72878

View attachment 72879

If the link has become disconnected you will end up with the same symptoms as a mal adjusted one.

Dave
Thank you for the information. Hopefully I will be able to check that by the weekend. Could very well be the problem. When I got stuck, I had the disc on the 3 point and old have put too much pressure on the wrong parts. I just want to fix it so it operates correctly. Some things can be duct taped, but, not the tractor!
Thanks again!

Pcekpr

Equipment
L3901
Nov 29, 2018
Panama City, Florida

Edit:

View attachment 72878

View attachment 72879

Dave
[/QUOTE

Dave,
I finally had a chance to try the adjustment and I do believe it worked. Got it finished about dark this afternoon so I haven't had a chance to really work it, but seems to be good!
Thank you for your assistance,
Donnie

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Donnie
Thanks for reporting back.
It helps everyone learn.
All to often an owner will come here for advice, the advice works to solve the problem and we never hear back.
Dave

Reactions: 2 users