FEL Implement Detach Procedure?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Hi Folks,

The thread with a minor ( could have been wore ) accident when removing a grapple got me thinking….. what is the proper way to switch between a grapple and a bucket or visa versa?

I just got my grapple and have only switched once. I have a L3130 with the Kubota quick detach. To date, when removing the bucket, I just open the QD Arms when the bucket is off the ground and the lower the FEL out. Then, go pick up the grapple.

Same process with the grapple. Open the QD Arms while it’s elevated. Is this dangerous?

Also, I’m not clear on the proper way to release the hydraulic pressure from the 3rd function lines? I had some trouble hooking it up last time but prevailed. Any help there would be appreciated.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t know that releasing the SSQA latches when elevated is truly dangerous if rolled at least slightly back so there’s no pressure on the latch pins, but honestly I don’t release them without the implement on the ground. Also don’t leave the loader in float so the loader won’t fall and don’t put down pressure on it so it doesn’t pop out suddenly. I just gently set it on the ground, keep my feet out from under everything, and then release the latches.

Installing, I’ll pick up the implement and leave it elevated a few inches in case it needs a little nudge to seat fully, just make sure to never get feet or anything else under it.

Not saying that’s “right” just what I do. Main thing is to never get any body parts under the implement or loader while unhooking or hooking up.

So far as releasing pressure on third function lines, I turn off the engine, then activate the third function in both directions to relieve the pressure in the lines before unhooking the quick connects.

Reactions: 4 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I open the jaws of my grapple fully which puts the cylinders fully retracted. This prevents corrosion due to exposure to the elements. Next I "dump" the grapple so the lid and rake tines sit flat on a big pallet. Unlatch the SSQA and disconnect. I shut the tractor engine off, put key in run position, push the power button for the 3rd function, then click the thumb buttons to relieve the pressure in the lines and then uncouple the hydraulic hoses.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I open the jaws of my grapple fully which puts the cylinders fully retracted. This prevents corrosion due to exposure to the elements. Next I "dump" the grapple so the lid and rake tines sit flat on a big pallet. Unlatch the SSQA and disconnect. I shut the tractor engine off, put key in run position, push the power button for the 3rd function, then click the thumb buttons to relieve the pressure in the lines and then uncouple the hydraulic hoses.
thats how I swap out my hla Grapple. i don’t shut the tractor off though To disconnect. Only when I hook up.