F2690 or F3990

Needmoretractors

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2920 MX5400 and a whole mess of Cubs with Kubota gas and diesel engines
Nov 18, 2021
Franklin, PA
I ready to buy a new F2690 or F3990. My dealer lent me his F3060 when my lawn and leaf setup died this fall after 30+ years. I fell in love with the 72" deck and the hydraulic dump bin. This gentleman lent me his baby for a month until every last leaf has been picked up so of course I'm going to buy a new one from him. Great sales tactic to be honest and EVERY dealer should do this.

Now, he wants to sell me the F2690 because it is below the Regen level. He says that the Regen stuff is nothing but trouble.
K- "Do your research. Nothing but problems"
M- "But, my MX5400 has it and I haven't had an issue with it?"
K- "Yeah but that's a different setup. I will not sell you a 3990"

Now keep in mind he does not have either machine on hand so either is going to have to be ordered and I may see it in the spring. And I value his opinion and respect him and I certainly don't want to cause any ill feelings.

My argument is that, yes, is see that there was issues with this machine, but that was 5 years ago. Surely they have worked out the bugs by now, right? I would get the unit with the 72" and bagger system, but considering the 100" mower for the summer and a TerraCab with Heat and A/C. If you step up to the F3990, you get about 50% more power for 10% more cost. If I'm spending $34,000 it's not much more, $38,000 to get a way more capable machine. I contacted Messick's for their opinion and I got two sentences: "We have not seen any issue lately on the 3990, We believe they have worked the bugs out of those units"

So is my dealer just old and cranky (74yo) and doesn't like technology, or should I heed his warning? I'm old enough now realize I should ALWAYS listen to advise from my elders. But I really want to treat myself to the Unit that I think I want since I will be using it for the next 35 years.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
We have 2 2690’s at work. Guys really like them, and I enjoy working on them, mostly. 72” side discharge decks on both.

What engine is in the 3990? Same mechanical injection with emissions as b3350? If so, I’d stay away. You can search here and find all kinds of problems with the b3350 regen.

Needmoretractors

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 18, 2021
Franklin, PA
A lot more information and BIG NEWS

The F3990 uses the updated version of the V1505T and is supposedly a safe bet now. However, the rumor on the street is Kubota has discontinued the whole F Series line. I do not believe that they will be taking orders from them any longer.

My local dealer has found a new in the crate F3990 200 miles away and they are working on a trade. If this works out, I will be getting it.

Although these units are very expensive, I'm surprised that they would discontinue the whole line. Zero turns are all the rage and this is the mother of all zero turns. Having a wet and hilly yard, I could never make a Z Turn work. This machine is so gentle with having 4 drive wheels and never relies on skidding a tire. I would think that more folks would find these to be ideal. Maybe it's just up for a redesign and they will bring it back.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

The F3990 uses the updated version of the V1505T and is supposedly a safe bet now. However, the rumor on the street is Kubota has discontinued the whole F Series line. I do not believe that they will be taking orders from them any longer.

My local dealer has found a new in the crate F3990 200 miles away and they are working on a trade. If this works out, I will be getting it.

Although these units are very expensive, I'm surprised that they would discontinue the whole line. Zero turns are all the rage and this is the mother of all zero turns. Having a wet and hilly yard, I could never make a Z Turn work. This machine is so gentle with having 4 drive wheels and never relies on skidding a tire. I would think that more folks would find these to be ideal. Maybe it's just up for a redesign and they will bring it back.
That is insane if true. Many, many municipalities use the F mowers. We have 4 of them.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

I too felt the machine would be perfect for my hilly often wet yard. The conclusion I came to was that they are expensive and also depreciate rapidly. Also when compared to a similarly powered tractor they are a lot less capable. They are however sweet machines for those with larger acreages to cut. I had a Steiner tractor also with the deck out front and loved it. A Steiner or Ventrac would also suite your needs if the F3990 deal falls thru.

Needmoretractors

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 18, 2021
Franklin, PA
Boy I researched every brand, including the Green. As near as I can tell, JD does not have a hopper option and that was the big selling point for me because I'm in the woods too. Leaf collection is a breeze with the hydraulic dumper hopper. Does Steiner have a collection system?

Toro is like 2x the weight of an F3990. New Holland discontinued their front mowers. Iseki can only be bought in Japan (but that is one awesome machine if we could get it here). Grasshopper does not have 4x4. Simplicity, Cub, Yanmar, and Mahindra don't offer anything.

Ventrac looks I something that I built in my garage but it is very appealing and definitely a contender.

This will be an interesting next couple of days. My dealer has a lead on the F3990, but not on a hopper yet, so that is currently the hold up. He doesn't want to pull the trigger until he has the hopper locked in.

Oh and Super Confirmed from Kubota in Texas: No more F Series. :cry:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Boy I researched every brand, including the Green. As near as I can tell, JD does not have a hopper option and that was the big selling point for me because I'm in the woods too. Leaf collection is a breeze with the hydraulic dumper hopper. Does Steiner have a collection system?

Toro is like 2x the weight of an F3990. New Holland discontinued their front mowers. Iseki can only be bought in Japan (but that is one awesome machine if we could get it here). Grasshopper does not have 4x4. Simplicity, Cub, Yanmar, and Mahindra don't offer anything.

Ventrac looks I something that I built in my garage but it is very appealing and definitely a contender.

This will be an interesting next couple of days. My dealer has a lead on the F3990, but not on a hopper yet, so that is currently the hold up. He doesn't want to pull the trigger until he has the hopper locked in.

Oh and Super Confirmed from Kubota in Texas: No more F Series. :cry:
Wild.

We have a ventrac also, its a good machine. We only have the tough cut deck, it is used primarily for mowing retention ponds once a year or so. And any other rough areas a F mower would get beat up.

Kind of a pain to work on. And they will get stuck.
52FC1D21-5D00-4735-9CC5-2F29630CB0BE.jpeg
25737915-CDF3-415E-93F4-7E45EC97FD30.jpeg
EBB223BC-8CF1-4FCC-8245-90AD21CD30A4.jpeg
B47009D8-4B43-43AA-AB7D-E7A08ED98739.jpeg

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Wild.

We have a ventrac also, its a good machine. We only have the tough cut deck, it is used primarily for mowing retention ponds once a year or so. And any other rough areas a F mower would get beat up.

Kind of a pain to work on. And they will get stuck.
View attachment 70247 View attachment 70248 View attachment 70249 View attachment 70250
My Steiner was a pain to work on as well. It was tightly put together and quite complicated. Mine was an older unit that served me well for about 5 years. I considered buying a new one but the B2601 can do a lot more. I had to tow my Steiner out or some spots several times . They do get stuck. I would not attempt to mow those hillsides of yours with my Kubota. Thats for sure.

Reactions: 1 user