Exotic invasive plants, and what to do about them

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
One source lists the native range to be these states.

Illinois , southern Indiana, Ohio and Missouri.

I have a friend that has property about 70 miles to the southwest of me, close to Wi Dells. He put in a native planting under the CRP program about 4 summers ago. Had black locust along property line on one side of the planting. It was amazing that within 2 summers the black locust started springing 20 to 50 foot inside the planted natives and reached 8 to 10 foot high in that time. He has now spent time and resources girdling the mother trees.
I likewise planted a windbreak of this species and have been getting plenty of sprouting. I just mow them where I don’t want them and let the windbreak grow denser. I have list some to the locust borer beetles. The references I have show their native distribution to be a lot wider than the states you mentioned. Regardless, they can spread a lot and be a nuisance where not wanted.

Reactions: 1 user

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Talk about great firewood, fenceposts, etc!

Reactions: 1 users

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
We have Black Locust our power company equipment had...So they left parts of the roots on our land! As Trapper Bob said " Remedy mixed 3 to 1 for trees & woody plants". But I was told that trees have be young? Also to drill holes into the (stump) trunk. After it is cut down in the spring...
Our County did in years pass sell Russia Olives. They taken over and now called a Invasive plant!

Last edited:

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
This land is supposed to grass/prairie land, but has become overan with the typical South TX brush. Everything is basically invasive except the Live oak trees.
Screenshot_20230227_131605_Gallery.jpg

USDA/NRCS pays a little to clear, which I accepted a grant under their program.

Half acre cleared off yesterday.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Buckthorn and Boxelder.
The boxelder is a problem on my west side of the property. It's not shade tolerant and grows sideways taking over huge amounts of property. It was an old horse pasture that was taken over by it. I recently purchased the property, and the boxelder are on my hit list. It will be a nice property when I'm finished recovering it from the boxelder damage.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Trapper bob I wonder hw that would work on Bamboo? Maybe 3 diesel and 1 round up,, hummmm

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Trapper bob I wonder hw that would work on Bamboo? Maybe 3 diesel and 1 round up,, hummmm
I am not sure. Sounds like we need to experiment with that mix. Roundup will breakdown, leaving no residual in the soil. Diesel will be there awhile. Maybe try a small clump as long as you don’t plan to plant anything right away. You have me curious now. I don’t have any bamboo to work on, so let me know if it works.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I did not plant the bamboo on my property and we like the way it looks. I keep it contained and cut any new growth. I doubt it will ever be eradicated but that is the nature of survival of the fittest.