Excitement

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
A little excitement in the woods here. New neighbors up the road for a few months now. I heard a truck at the end of my driveway yesterday. I took the ranger and cruised up. My neighbor had bought a tractor from TractorHouse in Michigan. 2002 john deere 60 hp with 4000 hrs he told me. Two mexicans were delivering it but beyound my driveway it goes to gravel and thats as far as they would go.
(WHAT ???? they don't drive on gravel roads !!!!!) So they told him to unload it there. His wife told me he had never owned a tractor before. But he had driven tractors in his life. So they pulled the ramps. I tell the guys wife have the mexicans unload it. She tells him. They won't. They say we know nothing about tractors. It was loaded. We strapped it down. We don't drive it. The new owner backs it up. Its a gear shift I believe as he was using the clutch. Back back back , down the ramp, and the back hoe bucket and frame stick into the pavement and he trys backing farther and spins the ramp sideways and one rear tire goes off the ramp it lunges to the left AND I thought it was going to roll over. One rear wheel on the pavement, RH wheel not touching the ramp. Its balanced on the backhoe and one rear wheel. The right hand wheel turning but not touching. Holy Crap. I go over and tell him. Sit the bucket flat on the deck, lift the front some and I told the driver to pull ahead slow. The bucket slid back on the trailer and slowly down the ramps it went then lifted the bucket and finshed backing up. I know every year folks die on tractors. I could certinly see a different outcome here.
20210618_184245 john deere on trailer.jpg
20210618_184618 john deere off trailer.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Glad you were around to keep the situation from going from bad to deadly.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I saw a youtube that a guy delivered a new tractor and drove off one ramp. It just dented it, but otherwise fine. Interesting about the delivery. Someone should have mentioned that, right?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Im surprised more people dont get hurt like this. Thats a hotshot driver subcontracted 3 layers deep in the transport business.

When i bought my excavator last year had to have it shipped from PA to ME. I told the seller 5 times to pass on to the transport company that i needed a transport that had ramps,. Once i got contact info for the the transport co. i talked to dispatch and reminded them i needed a transport with ramps i didnt have a loading dock.

So a couple weeks later when my excavator showed up on a trailer like pictured above, there where no ramps and the trailer was 3 ft off the ground. Driver said nope dont know how to run one. I said i havent run one in years. So my only option was to walk it off using the boom, bucket, turn around operate tracks and arm and boom at the same time method. I got it done but was real sketchy.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Not to defend the truck drivers that wouldn’t or couldn’t unload the tractor but many times the brokers will Lie to you about a load. Often times They tell you there’s a ramp and there’s not. Or they’ll tell you there’s a crane there to unload you and there’s not. Or that the receiver is open and it is not.

The broker tries to make a load sound as easy as possible and will often miss represent the information to sell the load.

Reactions: 1 users

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Not to defend the truck drivers that wouldn’t or couldn’t unload the tractor but many times the brokers will Lie to you about a load. Often times They tell you there’s a ramp and there’s not. Or they’ll tell you there’s a crane there to unload you and there’s not. Or that the receiver is open and it is not.

The broker tries to make a load sound as easy as possible and will often miss represent the information to sell the load.
Yep, famous words from a broker about a drive on, drive off load, "Oh yeah, they have ramps on both ends."
I always said, "Then give me the phone numbers so I can call them and verify it."
About half the time that was the end of the conversation about that load.

Years ago I deadheaded a truck 180 miles for a crown assembly for a big press. Broker said it weighed 37K. Told him to call and confirm 37K, as it sounded light. "Yep, weighs 37K."
Driver gets there, checks in, the loader says, "You gonna haul that on 5 axles?"
I weighed 37 tons. Had the weight, "74,000#" scrawled on it in foot high numbers.
Heated conversation with broker ensued.

Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Stories like this make me grateful for my dealer. They don't contract any of that out, all done in-house.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Yes those tractors with the "backhoe" on them and an additional seat have a super low trailer clearance. Glad it turned out ok in the end, and glad you were there to prevent a catastrophe.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Stories like this make me grateful for my dealer. They don't contract any of that out, all done in-house.
Same with mine. Heck the sales guys deliver them to us. They are responsible for making sure everything is installed correctly by the shop, they load them and unload them at point of delivery.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
When I ran lowbed, I found that I was almost always on an incline or angle of some type and I would always swing the back-hoe (or any moving low hanger) to the high side. If it was perfectly level, you can swing it to either side safely.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
ROPS down, no seat belt I suppose so he could bail if it rolled? (Rhetorical question. Maybe it doesn’t have them but ROPS look folded.)

I would really hate for my very first experience on a new machine to be backing it off a steep ramped trailer. Good thing you were there to keep it from ending tragically. Neighbor owes you for that one.