Engine RPM

doug49

Mar 27, 2020
Plymouth MA
On My BX when using my MMM, what should the engine RPM be?
When using the front end loader what should engine RPM be?
Thanks

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Mower is easy, you need to run the engine speed to get the pto speed the mower calls for. When mowing it is all about the tip speed of the blade and they must have the pto speed for that.
As to the loader, to me that will vary with operator, job and what you are moving. You need low enough gear and enough rpm not to bog the motor down. You want to be slow enough you are in control and not running or bumping anything. As you gain experience you will be able to operate the loader some faster, if new to one take it easy for a while for there is a lot going on, tractor is moving, need to level the bucket or what ever is on the loader, need to gather up a load, control the load, then backing out normally and transporting it to a place to dump.

Welcome to OTT.

doug49

Mar 27, 2020
Plymouth MA
Thank you for your response. I am a first time owner .
However for the MMM I have looked in the BX tractor and mower manual and there is no mention of RPM for the MMM. They talk about height adjustment only. How do you determine tip speed and what is the the correct RPM? Maybe I'm missing something but I appreciate any help. Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thank you for your response. I am a first time owner .
However for the MMM I have looked in the BX tractor and mower manual and there is no mention of RPM for the MMM. They talk about height adjustment only. How do you determine tip speed and what is the the correct RPM? Maybe I'm missing something but I appreciate any help. Thanks
You don't mention a specific BX but in general, on the rpm dial there will be an indication of the 540 rpm pto speed which, by design will also be the correct rpm for the MMM.

forum pto rpm.jpg

Dave

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Not sure where I read it, but I engage MMM PTO at 1600, then mow at 3200ish. My Tach is marked for 540 RPM for the rear PTO. There is a long orange part of the tach that reads Loader, and I use it almost at max of that range for loader work.

doug49

Mar 27, 2020
Plymouth MA
Thanks
I have been operating my MMM at 2500. I'll try 3200.That may be my problem.
My Tracktor is A BX 1870 2014. There is nothing printed on my tach.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
As mentioned for loader work, operate the engine at whatever RPM you feel comfortable with.
According to the Operators and WSM for the BX1870, for the MMM, to get the 2500 RPM for the mid PTO it is 3043 engine rpm. Also for the rear PTO to be 540 RPM it is 3142 engine rpm. Unless you have a digital tach, being close to those engine rpms for required pto speeds will work.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Not a BX, but perhaps there is something in common. Different PTO speeds work better for me with the changing of the composition of the grass through the mowing season. Sometimes the grass is thick and juicy. Other times it's a lot dryer and thinner. Today the sweet spot was around 470 PTO RPMs.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Thanks
I have been operating my MMM at 2500. I'll try 3200.That may be my problem.
My Tracktor is A BX 1870 2014. There is nothing printed on my tach.
Cutting at too slow a pto speed with give you a poor cut and most likely look ragged. I do understand Chim comment on him varying his speed and in rich thick grass you want ever rpm you it needs. Ground speed is still important.