Enclosed Car Trailer Ramp

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have an enclosed Haulmark car trailer with interior that is 8' x 20' x 6' 6" high. The floor and ramp are both 3/4" plywood of a good grade, not the newer flake-board, but I have no good information about the ramp's interior construction. The tractor is a B2601 with loader and backhoe and it weighs just about 3,000 pounds. Since the specifications of both the trailer and the tractor are within limits, my question is about the ramp. A car would weigh approximately the same as the tractor, but the wheels are farther apart spreading the load better. I plan on using some 2 x 10 planks over the ramp but still have concerns about overloading it. Does anyone have experience with this type of trailer/ tractor combination?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I went to your red link and was disappointed... NOT plywood ! some kind of 'chipboard' or 'flakeboard'. in the pictures. Maybe real plywood's an option ? Specs are dismal... no payload rating but crossbeams are 16" on center.
hmm not ONE picture of a car( or anything...) inside the trailer ,let alone something driving up ramps...
you'd think if it's sold as a 'car hauler' it'd have a picture HAULING a car ??
one spec, if you can find it to look for ... inside ceiling height ! also 'approach angle' of the ramps...could be 'fun' if 1/4" too short !!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I went to your red link and was disappointed... NOT plywood ! some kind of 'chipboard' or 'flakeboard'. in the pictures. Maybe real plywood's an option ? Specs are dismal... no payload rating but crossbeams are 16" on center.
hmm not ONE picture of a car( or anything...) inside the trailer ,let alone something driving up ramps...
you'd think if it's sold as a 'car hauler' it'd have a picture HAULING a car ??
one spec, if you can find it to look for ... inside ceiling height ! also 'approach angle' of the ramps...could be 'fun' if 1/4" too short !!
Mine is plywood like I said in the first post, new models have the cheap stuff. My question was about the ramp hoping someone had experience with it. I do know that the previous owner did have a car in it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
well you 'shouldn't have a problem but have someone watch the ROPS/ BH when entering !!

Reactions: 1 user

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
I can only tell you about my experience. I bought a Diamond Cargo 10k rated trailer. 7' x 16' with door opening height of 7'6". The door height made it custom vs every trailer that may be setting on the lot. I told them I would need to have the door rating to match my tractor weight. That meant that the door had to be rated to 4500 lbs. The std door carry capacity was only 1500 lbs unless I ordered more. Wall studs and ceiling stringers and floor joists were 24" on center. Floor was covered with 3/4" plywood. I couldn't imagine the tractor sitting on 3/4" plywood on 24" on center joists going down the road with the undulations of the roadway and have anything good to come of it. So I also ended up have everything spec for 16" O/C. Long story is that I had to specifically call out build requirements in order to get something that was going to be usable for me and to insure safety and durability.

That was 5 years ago and I have not had one ounce of problems with the trailer.

Attachments

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I do know that everything is 16" O/C. I might do some investigation with a strong magnet to see if I can detect any additional support inside the ramp.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm. re -reading this again... is the trailer brand spanking new ?? I assume so ,otherwise there'd be tire tracks on the ramp where the PO had driven his car up into trailer. Another assumption is that IF the trailer is supposed to haul cars, the ramp.door IS built to carry the weight. The other concern is the 6'6" headroom. Best get a measuring stick and CONFIRM you CAN get tractor in without lowering BH. ROPS 'should' lower enough though.
it's one of those 'have to be there, to see' situations'.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
It is a used trailer that was garage kept and is in excellent condition. There is tire tracks, but not much, the floor has always been covered with a heavy rubber mat. There is a winch in the front so a tractor can be brought in slowly while observing everything, I should add a snatch block in the rear to winch it back out to reduce engine running inside.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm, hopefully it has a roof vent, or at least a side door up front.
With wooden floor ,you can screw chock blocks in to locate hte tractor in the 'sweet spot' for hauling.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
hmm, hopefully it has a roof vent, or at least a side door up front.
With wooden floor ,you can screw chock blocks in to locate hte tractor in the 'sweet spot' for hauling.
Yes it has a roof vent and a side door. I already did the calculations to determine the ideal tongue weight (832 lbs.) and will use my Sherline tongue weight scale when locating the tractor the first time.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sounds like it might be their “Economy-Level” trailer since you don’t mention if it has a wet-bar. 🤣

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I have a United UXL 8 by 20 car hauler. I had to have extended ramps put on it to load my car. It will hold your tractor with out any issues. The ramp is the back door and is Chris crossed with bracing.

I was going to upload a picture but they are to large. I also had a door on the left so I would not have to do a Duke Of Hazards and climb out the window.