Dyed diesel beaten and new process being used.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This is just a general interest post on the subject of colored diesel.

In Ireland and some South American countries the price difference between colored and non colored i.e. taxed fuel is so great organized crime has been successful in eliminating the color.

Now a radioactive tracer is being added to the non taxed fuel and fuel inspectors drive around with a Geiger counter looking for trucks using non taxed fuel.

IRA smugglers were unable to remove the radioactive marker, and, according to garda and customs sources, diesel washing and smuggling – which has made multi- millionaires of many former terrorists – is now coming to an end.

The fuel smugglers already had one scientist working for them in fuel laundering and had been able to overcome all previous attempts to stop the washing and smuggling of "green" and "red" diesel.

They hired a further two scientists this year, but they have been unable to crack the new colorless marker, which is understood to contain a harmless radioactive element.

Launderers filter the fuel through chemicals or acids to remove the government dye marker. The chemicals and acids remain in the fuel and damage fuel pumps in diesel cars and trucks.

Dave M7040

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Re: Colored diesel beaten and new process being used.

I hope they keep it south of the border and across the pond. It's hard enough to make it with the junk fuel we have now without having more crap mixed with it.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA

I hope they keep it south of the border and across the pond. It's hard enough to make it with the junk fuel we have now without having more crap mixed with it.
And what about the unintentional side effects? If your tractor glows in the dark, it'll cut into the LED aftermarket industry::eek:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

And what about the unintentional side effects?
How often do they pull over legitimate trucks hauling radioactive diesel exhaust coated vegetables? Are farmers and construction workers getting stopped at border crossings? What is the future rural cancer rate?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

And what about the unintentional side effects? If your tractor glows in the dark, it'll cut into the LED aftermarket industry::eek:
That would be eery...ghost tractors gliding through the corn at night in the fall...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

That would be eery...ghost tractors gliding through the corn at night in the fall...
that's Stephen King new book!

Movie to be out later next year - it is about an old green machine that got put out to pasture, someone refuels it and it comes ALIVE!:D:eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

that's Stephen King new book!

Movie to be out later next year - it is about an old green machine that got put out to pasture, someone refuels it and it comes ALIVE!:D:eek:
Does that follow under his standard horror category :eek::eek: Or science fiction :p:p:p

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
"a harmless radioactive element."

That is an oxymoron statement!

Remember when it was safe to put lead in fuel!
Will my snow glow?
Imwill have to to make sure I take off my x-rY badge!
Ray

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"That is an oxymoron statement!"

goes right along with "honest politician"

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
you guys hit this one quick...

first thoughts were holy crap they are making it radioactive.

over here in the US? they would pull you over & think your a terrorist with a dirty bomb for being radioactive.

honestly though.... no more diesel than i use? just been getting it out of the regular diesel pump & paying more for it.

is there any difference in how the tractor runs or additives that are in it?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"is there any difference in how the tractor runs or additives that are in it?"

if you could go back 5-10 years - I would say yes! UNLESS you can find a place that sell 500 p/m of sulphur.......now days it is almost impossible to find any diesel that is NOT 15 p/m sulphur - whether dyed or not.

I will tell you this - running a diesel additive - like a lubricator works wonders - I truly can hear a difference.

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
"is there any difference in how the tractor runs or additives that are in it?"

if you could go back 5-10 years - I would say yes! UNLESS you can find a place that sell 500 p/m of sulphur.......now days it is almost impossible to find any diesel that is NOT 15 p/m sulphur - whether dyed or not.

I will tell you this - running a diesel additive - like a lubricator works wonders - I truly can hear a difference.
Here's a question to add to this; Is red heating oil the equivalent of old-school diesel? If yes, am I better off just running that since I only burn about 1 gallon a month in my little machine? If not, is it bad for my oil-fired boiler to run the low-Sulphur oil?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Here's a question to add to this; Is red heating oil the equivalent of old-school diesel? If yes, am I better off just running that since I only burn about 1 gallon a month in my little machine? If not, is it bad for my oil-fired boiler to run the low-Sulphur oil?
your machine could probably run ok on the HHO.....because your machine is made long before the switch was made, it will pollute the air much better too.
Both HHO and OFFroad diesel are dyed red, however, up to recently, the HHO had a lot higher sulphur content, a lot higher - like 2000 parts per million.

I am not sure I would run it - will it hurt anything on a 34 year old tractor? Perhaps not - if anything,I would blend them together. One thing to consider - the blowby of all these extra particulates will hurt the bearings and everything else inside the engine!

Remember too - an oil fired furnace "burns" the fuel....where as a diesel engine squeezes the vapor to the point where it explodes. Both burn it - but a little differently, I would imagine you will have more particulates with HHO being used in your diesel engine.

Last edited:

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
your machine could probably run ok on the HHO.....because your machine is made long before the switch was made, it will pollute the air much better too.
Both HHO and OFFroad diesel are dyed red, however, up to recently, the HHO had a lot higher sulphur content, a lot higher - like 2000 parts per million.

I am not sure I would run it - will it hurt anything on a 34 year old tractor? Perhaps not - if anything,I would blend them together. One thing to consider - the blowby of all these extra particulates will hurt the bearings and everything else inside the engine!

Remember too - an oil fired furnace "burns" the fuel....where as a diesel engine squeezes the vapor to the point where it explodes. Both burn it - but a little differently, I would imagine you will have more particulates with HHO being used in your diesel engine.
OK thanks for the info. One reason I asked was that I plan to eventually get a diesel generator or PTO generator for the tractor on the idea that I have a 330 gallon reserve tank that would run either for a loooong time. I guess in an emergency, who cares about a few extra particulates, right?

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
both the red #2 heating oil and the red #2 fuel oil are the same. just make sure how much sulfur is in it, if you have a newer tractor.
if you have a older unit. the higher suffer fuel is what it was made to run on.
if you use the low sulfur diesel, i would use a lubricator additive to lessen the amount of wear the injection pump acquires from the low sulfur diesel.

now for those who think its the sulfur that lubricates. nope, the process that removes the sulfur, removes some of the lubrication properties of the fuel.

#2 taxed fuel is the same only no dye added.

#1 diesel has a proportion of kerosine added, depending on the average temperature of your area. in the northern states during the winter #2 diesel will also have some kerosine added, but not as much as #1 diesel.. try not to fill up your truck in one climate zone and travel to another climate zone in the winter.. you will have issues.. jelling going north and excessive injection pump / injector wear wear going south....

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The problem with low sulfur fuels first appeared in Alaska with oil burner pumps seizing up. Why in Alaska, because they get winter first.

The sulfur was acting as a lubricant in the pump.

If you have an older diesel best to add a specially made additive to provide the lost lubricity.

In 2015 I asked my Canadian supplier re sulphur content.

His answer: Sulfur spec is max 15PPM and of course we are always under. Last cargo we received was 8PPM.

In other words you are likely getting even less sulfur than the gov't spec.

Dave M7040

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
The problem with burning heating oil out of your home tank is that there is most likely a bunch of sludge and bacteria in it. Oil boilers basically incinerate the fuel at a high temp as well as use a ton of voltage igniting it so burning crap fuel doesn't faze it. If you filtered it well and treated it with anti microbials it can be done, at that rate your not saving anything. I know a few guys strictly in the oil tank removal business and they burn the oil they pump out in waste oil burners to heat their shops.