Dump function on l2501dt

L2501dt

Jun 5, 2020
Connecticut
When i go to dump my bucket with a load in bucket it seems to dump as it should till about half way and then slows way down. Is this only because i am going up at the same time as i am dumping. Its a dt so yes i usually have the clutch engaged with foot revving the engine up

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
My L2501 doesn't like to do both functions (up and dump) at the same time, either. I think it has to do with the relatively low output of the hydraulic pump. It was pretty much the same with my old Mitsubishi.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It was pretty much the same with my old Mitsubishi.
And it's the same with my B7100's B219 FEL, and B670 BH.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
And it's the same with my B7100's B219 FEL, and B670 BH.
I have never noticed that with my LA402 loader on my B2910. But my mind may work slower than others'...

I very commonly curl the bucket and probably dump it while raising/lowering the loader. So common that I never really thought about it. And never really had any issues with it.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
M B2650 works great doing the "up and dump" motions. I was in the bush with the pallet forks on and needed to switch from lifting some logs with the forks horizontal under the logs, to holding them at the same height but curling down the forks while keeping them at the same height, so I could push the logs further onto a pile.
I found the loader valve very responsive in a dumping-while-raising position and could keep the tips of the forks within an inch or 2 of their original height while raising the boom until the forks were pretty much vertical.
It's the "up and curl" that's restricted on the loader valves, where my loader lever won't work properly if pulled back and to the left simultaneously. That action is noted as non-operable on the lever movement chart on the tractor.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
You are seeing the effects of the regen or regenerative function of the loader valve, here are some threads to read:

Regen is a "feature" of most modern FEL (Front End Loader) valves, it's on the Dump (joystick far right) circuit, and is also referred to as "Fast Dump". The reason it is nice to have is that without it, the weight of a filled bucket can actually "pull" the bucket down faster then the fluid can enter the other side of the cylinder, this will create a air pocket and give the bucket a "floppy" feeling until the joystick is held in the dump mode a few seconds to refill the cylinder pushing the air past the seals. So we add "regen" or "regenerative" function to the valve.

Regen solves this problem by actually filling both sides of the cylinder at the same time with hydraulic fluid. But how will that work you might ask? Well, because there is more volume on the side of the cylinder that extends it since the rod is taking up space in the other side, it "overpowers" the rod side and lets the cylinder extend-thereby dumping the bucket. So since now both sides of the cylinder are "pressurized", the air pocket can not develop, eliminating the "floppy" bucket syndrome. One other added bonus is that the bucket actually dumps faster due to the higher flow rate required to do all this, that's why it's referred to as "fast dump" sometimes.

So, now you may be asking “This is cool and all that, but why do I need to know about it?” The answer to that is simple, if you ever try to run a snow plow with two SA (single acting) cylinders, or a cylinder that drives a chute rotator on a snowblower you will soon find out that they won’t work if you push the joystick to far right in the regen mode. The plow won’t work because since both lines are pressurized-both cylinders will be trying to extend at the same time binding everything up. The rotator won’t work because there is no weight pushing the cylinder closed like there is on the loader.

On most, if not all John Deere tractors there is a “lockout” the limits how far the joystick travels to the right to keep it out of the regen mode.