Dumb 4WD Question

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Is there a reason I shouldn't just leave my new LX3310 in 4WD mode at all times? It is used in woodlands, trails, gravel, and pasture, never on pavement of any kind and rarely on "the lawn". I also don't really care about "gas mileage" unless it was a dramatic difference. The only reason I am asking, is since it is an option for the user, it implies I might only use it occasionally. Will it add unnecessary wear and tear on the tractor if I am fulltime 4WD? Should I leave in 2WD and only switch when I really need it? Given my land can be snowy, icy, wet, muddy, swampy, etc just seems easier/better to leave on full time. Your thoughts?

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I like to take my L3301 out of 4X when not needed, if I can remember to do so. Makes sense to me taking it out would save wear and tear on some parts but not sure which parts that would be.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
There are going to be MANY opinions on this .........

my 2 cents........

I have 2 B7100 that cut grass all the time.... on grass - hills and slopes ........ I LEAVE IT in 4WD all the time.........ALL the time!!! It helps me pull up a crazy right turn when cutting a portion of my grass - it helps brake the tractor going down the steep hills I have to cut..... I too rarely if ever are on "solid" ground.
Been doing this for years ......

On my BX25D - I am in 4 wheel drive when going down hill ........ but if I need to move on good hard ground - I will take it out of the 4WD ..... the lever is right there and poof in and out quickly.
IF I am in the woods and it is wet - 4WD...... if bucket is full - 4WD.......... if moving from point to point in high range ....... 2WD and High gear.

I would say as Clint Eastwood would say ........ " A man's got to know his limitations!" - so, IF YOU know that there is always a place for the wheels NOT to bind .......... leave IN 4WD ........ the one time you take it out and place in 2WD is the one time you go down a steep grade..... and ass end slides..... you pucker up - and then need to change your shorts or worse you will wish it was in 4WD.

These machines are almost bullet and idiot proof ........ I say almost - there are those that can screw up a one car funeral. But as long as you know what surface you are on.... stick with it!

Reactions: 2 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I don't see why not. I only switch to 2WD if I don't want to tear up the lawn when turning or if I'm on a clear asphalt surface where I don't want it to bind when turning.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I leave my tractor in 4-wheel drive unless I get out on the roads. I tried it out of 4 wheel drive and found that within 15 minutes I was putting it back in to 4-wheel because I was spinning the back tires.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If only Clint Eastwood KNEW how limited he is...

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Is there a reason I shouldn't just leave my new LX3310 in 4WD mode at all times? It is used in woodlands, trails, gravel, and pasture, never on pavement of any kind and rarely on "the lawn". I also don't really care about "gas mileage" unless it was a dramatic difference. The only reason I am asking, is since it is an option for the user, it implies I might only use it occasionally. Will it add unnecessary wear and tear on the tractor if I am fulltime 4WD? Should I leave in 2WD and only switch when I really need it? Given my land can be snowy, icy, wet, muddy, swampy, etc just seems easier/better to leave on full time. Your thoughts?
Flat terrain or hilly? Hilly here. My B2910 has been in 4WD close to 100 percent of the time over the last 18 years...

If it were flat here, I would probably be in 2WD most of the time...but it is not.

On pavement NO 4WD as mentioned. But I do not have any pavement.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Flat terrain or hilly? Hilly here. My B2910 has been in 4WD close to 100 percent of the time over the last 18 years...

If it were flat here, I would probably be in 2WD most of the time...but it is not.

On pavement NO 4WD as mentioned. But I do not have any pavement.
Mostly flat. But if you have been 4WD for 18yrs sounds like no reason for me to mess with flipping back and forth and regretting if I missed a moment where the traction was reduced. (expect of course on pavement and lawns)

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Its good to go back and forth between modes just to keep the linkage free...

Reactions: 4 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Mine lives in the mancave, concrete floor, so I leave it in 2wd unless I need 4wd. If I accidently forget to put in back to 2wd before going back into the mancave, it will quickly remind me as soon as I try to make that right angle turn on concrete. Leaving it in 4wd all the time as long as it's not on pavement might cause a little more wear and tear, but if you have to rebuild the front axle in 32 years instead of 35 years, does that really matter? Not in my book. These things are pretty stout.

Reactions: 2 users

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I wish these Kubotas would have a dashboard indicator of 4x4 engaged...

Reactions: 4 users

JohnMackenzie

Equipment
B6200, L3901, LA525, BH77, MK Martin 60" Mower, Agrotrend C60, ect.
Oct 7, 2020
Ontario
As everyone else said I also mostly leave mine in 4wd unless on the grass and asphalt, I live on a hill so sometimes put it in 4 wheel just to go up and down a specific part of the lawn when mowing, other than that if I'm on the trails in the woods it's in 4 wheel, I find I can turn sharper and smoother in 2 wheel though but it depends on the situation. I haven't taken mine out of 4 wheel since the snow first flew in December, mostly comes down to your own discretion and what you feel comfortable with, but it won't really hurt if its in 4 wheel off of pavement, might just scuff up what you're driving on

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Sidehill property. No pavement. No lawn. Always on gravel or dirt. Hasn't been out of 4WD in several years.

Bruce

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I use the 4WD when I need it. When I don't it stays in 2WD--just like my truck. Not sure that it would hurt to keep it there but since its an OPTION, rather than sent out of the factory 4WD leads to believe there may be a reason for that.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Its good to go back and forth between modes just to keep the linkage free...
Please elaborate.

I haven't taken mine out of 4WD since getting it 5 years ago.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I use the 4WD when I need it. When I don't it stays in 2WD--just like my truck. Not sure that it would hurt to keep it there but since its an OPTION, rather than sent out of the factory 4WD leads to believe there may be a reason for that.

2WD is my "OPTION" and 4WD is standard. it all depends on your situation.

I would have worn out 5 shift levers by now if I shifted every time 2WD was OK to use. :D

Bruce

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Please elaborate.

I haven't taken mine out of 4WD since getting it 5 years ago.
Not at all sure it’s applicable to tractors but for selectable 2WD/4WD trucks and SUV’s that are left in 2WD and not at least cycled into 4WD for many years, sometimes the splines will get stuck and won’t slide to engage 4WD. Seen it a few times. Not necessarily common but a PITA if it happens as it results in a trip to a transmission shop or a 4WD vehicle that’s relegated to 2WD only. If you never, ever take it out of 4WD don’t know why you’d care if it’s stuck in 4WD.