Dry Rot

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I've got a dry rot problem with my front tires. Any suggestions on how to keep it from getting worse?

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Last edited:

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Thanks Coach. I was thinking of packing the cracks with silicone but wasn't sure how it would work.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Those cracks don't look real bad yet. The ones that are of concern are the ones that head around the shoulder of the tire, into the sidewall, parallel to the cleats. Eventually the crack gets big enough to pinch the tube, from that point, it's a blow out boot, on the tire, and an old tube sliced down the middle inside, next to the stem as a shield. Gemplers catalog, or a good tire man can get you tire parts you never knew existed...

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Spent some time on the web and found a suggestion of using the black goop used to install windshields. Might be a trick finding that here!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Spent some time on the web and found a suggestion of using the black goop used to install windshields. Might be a trick finding that here!
Got any rubber trees? We had one by the garage when I lived in florida. The damn leaves would glue them selves to the car when they would fall :mad: borrowed a neighbors chain saw and cut it down. I'll never do that again :rolleyes:. Sap was like pine pitch on steroids. No wonder a tree service wanted a grand to get rid of it. Had to throw out the clothes I was wearing, and took a week of scrubbing to get the crap off my arms. Not to mention, 4 hours cleaning the saw, and having to buy a new bar and chain.

If you had one of them, you could probably line the inside of the tire with pitch, and it would probably be close to that window adhesive.

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
Based on Anthony Hopkins in the movie,"The World's Fastest Indian", lots of black shoe polish hides cracks pretty good. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Big cash crop here but quite a different tree as the ones grown here are tapped for latex.
Tires were originally made with latex rubber, White walls were pure latex.
You could in theory get some latex and distill it down and recap your tires! :rolleyes:

But Please quit messing with the shot, worn out, dead tires and buy some new ones already! :cool:

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Based on Anthony Hopkins in the movie,"The World's Fastest Indian", lots of black shoe polish hides cracks pretty good. ;)
I'm not trying to fool the safety inspectors at Bonneville, just trying to save some coin on new front tires :)

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Keep the sun off of them. It's the easiest and cheapest way to keep them from getting worse. Some skid steer owners get their tires foam filled, I don't know if that's an option where you are, but it may be cheaper to buy new tires. If you don't have a loader on the tractor they might go for quite a while yet. Some of the farms around here run them looking a lot worse than yours.
Beer versus tires? Beer!

Jerry

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Just a thought....polyurethane construction adhesive. tough water proof bonds to just about anything. and reasonably priced.

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I'm not planning on any hi-speed running so will run 'em as is for now. No problems with the rears. Hopefully heading to the Big City next week for some much-needed supplies. Only one "store" here and they only sell oil and grease. Will update on what I do. Yes Jerry, BEER!