Driver of Boat Trailering Nightmare Pleads Guilty

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I wonder if it was his boat or was he moving boats as a side hustle.

Who knows. But either way.....the end result is just as terrible and irresponsible.

That you got 'paid' to recklessly kill someone doesn't make it more palatable or understandable IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Incredible list of violations and poor decision making (if not wanton disregard). I pray he gets a 5 year sentence for each count (4) and not 18 months for each.

There needs to be a stiff sentence for this!
Yes, retribution might make us feel better in the short-term…but the long-term penalty for the family which suffered loss cannot be paid for with a long prison term… WE will all pay to support that fool while he sits in prison with health care, food, color TV, and internet privileges.
Hard work which benefits the public greater-good is in-order, IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Yes, retribution might make us feel better in the short-term…but the long-term penalty for the family which suffered loss cannot be paid for with a long prison term…
Sentencing for criminal acts that do not involve the 'death penalty' are punitive, its not about 'retribution' which is an act of vengeance. A long prison sentence is indeed a 'penalty' for the convicted but ALSO serves as a deterrent to others contemplating the same act that landed the guilty where they are. There is value in the correct application of lengthy sentences. Nothing will bring back the dead, that isn't what it is about.

WE will all pay to support that fool while he sits in prison with health care, food, color TV, and internet privileges.
Yes, each of us will pay with our tax dollars. A tax I will gladly pay and support. I don't have problem paying taxes. What I have a problem with is how our taxes are SPENT! If the gov't were to spend more money on Prisons, Law Enforcement, Prevention and Rehabilitation (for those that can be) I'm all for it.

Hard work which benefits the public greater-good is in-order, IMO.
Agreed. But in many cases, the incarcerated seemingly enjoy more rights and benefits than the law abiding citizenry. Prosecution should (where appropriate) seek monetary compensation for the victims of crimes and Judges apply the same in sentencing. When the penalties for doing something illegal become harsh enough.....the natural result is to see less illegal activity.

I understand the theme of your post and I agree with it. But from a economic standpoint, I have no problem keeping criminals incarcerated for a LONG time, provided the criminal act warrants it.

Just my .02 on it.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Sentencing for criminal acts that do not involve the 'death penalty' are punitive, its not about 'retribution' which is an act of vengeance. A long prison sentence is indeed a 'penalty' for the convicted but ALSO serves as a deterrent to others contemplating the same act that landed the guilty where they are. There is value in the correct application of lengthy sentences. Nothing will bring back the dead, that isn't what it is about.

Yes, each of us will pay with our tax dollars. A tax I will gladly pay and support. I don't have problem paying taxes. What I have a problem with is how our taxes are SPENT! If the gov't were to spend more money on Prisons, Law Enforcement, Prevention and Rehabilitation (for those that can be) I'm all for it.

Agreed. But in many cases, the incarcerated seemingly enjoy more rights and benefits than the law abiding citizenry. Prosecution should (where appropriate) seek monetary compensation for the victims of crimes and Judges apply the same in sentencing. When the penalties for doing something illegal become harsh enough.....the natural result is to see less illegal activity.

I understand the theme of your post and I agree with it. But from a economic standpoint, I have no problem keeping criminals incarcerated for a LONG time, provided the criminal act warrants it.

Just my .02 on it.
I would add they should be put to work as well.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I would add they should be put to work as well.
That was @GeoHorn point as well. And while I agree, unfortunately that would be violating the prisoner's rights in many cases.

And while I support and adhere to the principle that the incarcerated retain their basic 'rights' (as it should be) there must be a mechanism where more prisoners are required to work.

Depending on the State....a sentence including Penal Labor is possible still.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Did anyone catch this part…

Roney Rolando Gonzalez-Otazo, 25, of Hollywood, Fla.,

cant see the truck plate or the numbers on the boat to see where it’s registered, but Lake Tahoe is a long way from Hollywood, Florida 🤷‍♂️

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: A long prison sentence is indeed a 'penalty' for the convicted but ALSO serves as a deterrent to others contemplating the same act that landed the guilty where they are.

respectfully disagree. IF it was a deterrent, crime would SHOULD be going down, not up...

'life' here is typically maybe 20 years, heck Karla H got out ,after helping kill/torture several young girls.

Now IF a criminal KNEW they WOULD be executed for the taking of anothers life, they might think twice
I know different rules apply where you are.....but it's obvious from the news you CAN 'rape/rob,pillage' and not have to pay for the crime.

Back in '75 or '76 , Massachusetts had a 5 year term ADDED to any/all crimes where you pulled a gun. Slowed down crime...for awhile..

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
In OBVIOUS 'he's guilty' cases like this.. give him 30 days to get his 'paperwork' in order, then execute.
If killing is wrong…. What could be more wrong than state-sponsored killing…?

On top of that…the state has killed a lot of innocent people in OUR names…. I don’t like that.

AND it’s cheaper to keep them in prison that it is to execute them because of all the safeguards intended to prevent wrong executions…. the safeguards that don’t work.

On top of THAT…. if Capital Punishment is supposed to be a Deterrent… Then WHY do they execute late at night in private, closed-door facilites…which are reported on the back-pages of the newspapers?
If you want it to be a Deterrent…then it should be done IN PUBIC, In plain View of the PEOPLE…(us)….who are responsible for the execution of the individual. I guarantee you that if a 12 year old boy WATCHED a man hanged for crime…that kid would REMEMBER IT. Only THEN could it be a “deterrent”.
The problem is: if you believe in the sanctity of life…. if you are PRO-life…. if you have any feelings of decency… then you’d be opposed to the death penalty, expecially as it is now practiced….giving a sleepy-time-drug to a violent criminal who didn’t offer that same sweet end to their victim…. and meanwhile getting it WRONG and killing hundreds of innocent citizens wrongfully convicted.

The proper punishment for a capital crime is life in prison …and no color tv, no prison law-degrees, no air conditioning, no “last choice of meal”, etc etc. If Life in prison is the sentence ..then LIFE it should be.
Time off for “Good behavior” is B.S.
”Good behavior” only means you don’t get an extension of your sentence… not a recduction. Truth-in-sentencing should mean that if you get sentenced to 20 years…. you SERVE 20 YEARS….IF YOU BEHAVE. You don’t behave..?? you get addt’l time….

And NO making furniture or any other product for sale to the public to pay for the prison operation. That policy competes against bona-fide furniture makers who never did any crime …but they have to compete against cut-rate prison-labor to sell their goods.
Prisoners should work to raise their own food, make their own, clothes, furniture, clean their own toilets, and if they have a life sentence….there’s no reason to “rehabilitate”. Rehabilitation is for guys who will some day return to society…not for guys who don’t belong out here with the rest of us.

My 2-cents.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If killing is wrong…. What could be more wrong than state-sponsored killing…?

On top of that…the state has killed a lot of innocent people in OUR names…. I don’t like that.

AND it’s cheaper to keep them in prison that it is to execute them because of all the safeguards intended to prevent wrong executions…. the safeguards that don’t work.

On top of THAT…. if Capital Punishment is supposed to be a Deterrent… Then WHY do they execute late at night in private, closed-door facilites…which are reported on the back-pages of the newspapers?
If you want it to be a Deterrent…then it should be done IN PUBIC, In plain View of the PEOPLE…(us)….who are responsible for the execution of the individual. I guarantee you that if a 12 year old boy WATCHED a man hanged for crime…that kid would REMEMBER IT. Only THEN could it be a “deterrent”.
The problem is: if you believe in the sanctity of life…. if you are PRO-life…. if you have any feelings of decency… then you’d be opposed to the death penalty, expecially as it is now practiced….giving a sleepy-time-drug to a violent criminal who didn’t offer that same sweet end to their victim…. and meanwhile getting it WRONG and killing hundreds of innocent citizens wrongfully convicted.

The proper punishment for a capital crime is life in prison …and no color tv, no prison law-degrees, no air conditioning, no “last choice of meal”, etc etc. If Life in prison is the sentence ..then LIFE it should be.
Time off for “Good behavior” is B.S.
”Good behavior” only means you don’t get an extension of your sentence… not a recduction. Truth-in-sentencing should mean that if you get sentenced to 20 years…. you SERVE 20 YEARS….IF YOU BEHAVE. You don’t behave..?? you get addt’l time….

And NO making furniture or any other product for sale to the public to pay for the prison operation. That policy competes against bona-fide furniture makers who never did any crime …but they have to compete against cut-rate prison-labor to sell their goods.
Prisoners should work to raise their own food, make their own, clothes, furniture, clean their own toilets, and if they have a life sentence….there’s no reason to “rehabilitate”. Rehabilitation is for guys who will some day return to society…not for guys who don’t belong out here with the rest of us.

My 2-cents.
Heck if it were up to me, they'd spend a couple hours a day on a treadmill to generate power to run the lights. Nothing like exercise to decrease aggression.

• Haha

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
so you would rather buy offshore products then American prison made products?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
so you would rather buy offshore products then American prison made products?
That is a different subject. Please don’t infer what I’ve not said.

As for buying offshore… it is Us who sent U.S. president Mr. Nixon to encourage Chinese production so U.S. consumers could buy cheap stuff. We’ve got what Mr. Nixon and corporate-America asked for….cheap chinese stuff and Americans flipping burgers instead of making good union wages/benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im sorry when you break the law you have given up any and all rights,,, And chain gangs do work, 13 steps, a short drop and a sudden stop do as well when proven past a point of reasonable doubt.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Im sorry when you break the law you have given up any and all rights,,, And chain gangs do work, 13 steps, a short drop and a sudden stop do as well when proven past a point of reasonable doubt.
We know that 185 people condemned to death since 1973 were wrongly convicted and were innocent. Those are only the ones we know. Would you still hold that opinion, skeets, if you were sitting on death row while innocent? The short drop/sudden stop isn’t a deterrent if the public doesn’t WATCH the execution being conducted with their authorization. How many have you watched?
And even when the person was indeed guilty…. how many of them allowed THEIR victims to have their favorite last-meal, time to contemplate their religious beliefs, have a visit from their priest, and go peacefully to sleep before undergoing the end?

Everything about it is wrong…. Just Wrong.

Last edited:

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
That darn Constitution and Bill of Rights again.
Amendments 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
As for buying offshore… it is Us who sent U.S. president Mr. Nixon to encourage Chinese production so U.S. consumers could buy cheap stuff. We’ve got what Mr. Nixon and corporate-America asked for….cheap chinese stuff and Americans flipping burgers instead of making good union wages/benefits.
Obviously, you don't know your history very well. Nixon went to China to get them to open their borders to US-made goods, not to have them make goods for us. It was later on that they took the initiative to produce cheap goods for sale to the US and the rest of the world. We wouldn't have the problems today that we have with China if it weren't for our politicians taking money for reelection from foreign governments and companies. We would have problems with the Asian Long Horn Beetle today if our government didn't remove the requirement that all goods coming from China had to be fumigated before being placed into containers. Most of the problems that US citizen faces today are created by politicians that line their collective pockets with $$$ to turn a blind eye to what shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Politicians are constantly reinventing history, to the point that the State of Illinois has declared that Abe Lincoln (R) was actually a Democrat! https://www.foxnews.com/politics/college-plaque-in-land-of-lincoln-labels-abe-a-democrat, and then they try to pass it off as something other than what they put onto the plaque........ https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/1...ocrat-label-on-Lincoln-plaque/95301384284357/

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: AND it’s cheaper to keep them in prison that it is to execute them because of all the safeguards intended to prevent wrong executions…. the safeguards that don’t work.

I was waiting for the sentencing to be handed down for the guy who INTENTIONALLY MURDERED 10, maimed 18-19 others in Toronto. Used a rented van.
He got 'life' though can be out in 25 years(parole). There was/is NO question this guy did this, NONE, there's even video of it. Sadly Canada doesn't have 'capital punishment'..this guy is the 'poster child' of why we need it back on the books and used.