Driver of Boat Trailering Nightmare Pleads Guilty

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Hoping none of us have to experience what this guy did...Tough to read through the list of violations...just was lucky my wife and kids who used that intersection daily were spared.
Makes you want to hug the wife and kids when you walk in the door.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I wonder if the chains between the truck and the trailer were crossed. :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
I wonder if the chains between the truck and the trailer were crossed. :rolleyes:
That made me chuckle (a lot...)...but with all the injuries, including fatalities...need to be a bit reflective.

As I said...my wife drives through that intersection twice per day...kids do too when going to Reno...so I thank my lucky starts that our numbers weren't up that day...

I do appreciate all the feedback on this site around the Good, Bad & Ugly of Towing...most take it seriously...but when people don't, as in this northern Nevada example, things go bad in a hurry...

Reactions: 2 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Sad someone had to die for this idiots screw up.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Hoping none of us have to experience what this guy did...Tough to read through the list of violations...just was lucky my wife and kids who used that intersection daily were spared.
Prayers to those who lost family members...

https://southtahoenow.com/story/06/...-deadly-south-carson-city-crash-pleads-guilty
Incredible list of violations and poor decision making (if not wanton disregard). I pray he gets a 5 year sentence for each count (4) and not 18 months for each.

There needs to be a stiff sentence for this!

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
here in Ontario, if a bartender lets a 'possibly drunk' go out the door , the bartender can be legally held liable for the drunk's driving and accident/damages/deaths..
I'd like to know WHERE and HOW this guy got that boat and trailer..

Now we've all seen hte TV ads from the 'big 3' about hauling HUGE loads with itty,bitty 'desclaimer' poste but really NOBODY questioned this small truck and the HUGE boat ? Just how far did this guy drive ?

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
It's up to the person hauling the load to decide if the equipment is capable and ultimately in good repair. The enforcement agencies are there for after the fact. Unfortunately in this circumstance people were killed and hurt from this lack of judgment.
I by no means am sticking up for this individual when I say this next bit, but. There are a lot (you see them everyday) of people that don't have a clue about gcwr, gvw, ect or figure it's a big enough truck for the job. I'd wager this guy has done this exact thing before and got away with it, not unlike the 30 foot camper hooked to a Tahoe. Nothing says safety like a front bumper pointed skyward and a trailer pushing the vehicle all over the road. Ignorance is bliss, unfortunately.
I really hope they nail him to the wall for his Ignorance.

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Saw this story shortly after it happened. Of the entire litany of egregious misconduct the thing that still gobsmacks me the most is the original story and this one both state the trailer had NO FUNCTIONING BRAKES. Not that they failed halfway down the grade or something went wonky with the brake controller: NO BRAKES.

How in the world could anyone think this rig could stop safely within a reasonable distance from 40mph on flat ground using only the truck brakes, much less going down a hill at much higher speeds?

I hope the judge makes an example of him.

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Saw this story shortly after it happened. Of the entire litany of egregious misconduct the thing that still gobsmacks me the most is the original story and this one both state the trailer had NO FUNCTIONING BRAKES. Not that they failed halfway down the grade or something went wonky with the brake controller: NO BRAKES.

How in the world could anyone think this rig could stop safely within a reasonable distance from 40mph on flat ground using only the truck brakes, much less going down a hill at much higher speeds?

I hope the judge makes an example of him.
Ignorance, stupidity.....

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I think that was before they needed those one liner "do not try this at home"

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A horribly insensitive and unnecessary comment!
The truth can be insensitive, just as there's such a thing as a stupid question, and a stupid thread.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It's up to the person hauling the load to decide if the equipment is capable and ultimately in good repair. The enforcement agencies are there for after the fact. Unfortunately in this circumstance people were killed and hurt from this lack of judgment.
I by no means am sticking up for this individual when I say this next bit, but. There are a lot (you see them everyday) of people that don't have a clue about gcwr, gvw, ect or figure it's a big enough truck for the job. I'd wager this guy has done this exact thing before and got away with it, not unlike the 30 foot camper hooked to a Tahoe. Nothing says safety like a front bumper pointed skyward and a trailer pushing the vehicle all over the road. Ignorance is bliss, unfortunately.
I really hope they nail him to the wall for his Ignorance.
This was the point of my comment above. There are many aspects of towing a trailer that are important and some that are not. We should focus on what's important and not be distracted by ignorant, ill-informed dogma. An informed person could have/would have called 911 and reported this clown before he left the lake and killed someone. How did he manage to get to the lake without being stopped or reported?

Insensitive? Really? What's insensitive and ignorant are all the people who did and said nothing as this piece of trash travelled to and from the lake.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
This was the point of my comment above. There are many aspects of towing a trailer that are important and some that are not. We should focus on what's important and not be distracted by ignorant, ill-informed dogma. An informed person could have/would have called 911 and reported this clown before he left the lake and killed someone. How did he manage to get to the lake without being stopped or reported?

Insensitive? Really? What's insensitive and ignorant are all the people who did and said nothing as this piece of trash travelled to and from the lake.

Its absolutely moronic what you post. Plain and simple. Get off your high horse and keep your opinions to yourself. Pretty fed up with you and your comments recently.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
Sad turn out. Guy is a wicked scum bag. Clearly no experience or just willful neglect. For this reason is why I won't ever tow over rated capacity despite many friends and co workers trying to say its no big deal.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Its absolutely moronic what you post. Plain and simple. Get off your high horse and keep your opinions to yourself. Pretty fed up with you and your comments recently.
So my post is moronic but then you express similar ideas in your next post.

As for keeping my opinions to myself. Nope ... not going to happen. The only authority on this forum is a moderator and certainly not you. Heck, you don't even support this site financially but you want to tell a paying member what they can and can't say. Good luck with that.

• Haha

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 21, 2020
So my post is moronic but then you express similar ideas in your next post.

As for keeping my opinions to myself. Nope ... not going to happen. The only authority on this forum is a moderator and certainly not you. Heck, you don't even support this site financially but you want to tell a paying member what they can and can't say. Good luck with that.

Wow... your response tells me everything I need to know about you as a person.