Drive Shaft Fell Out

GuyM

Equipment
Kubota B2920, LA364 Loader, 60"MMM, 51" Front Mount Snowblower, Swisher 60" Trailmower
Aug 31, 2009
Wales, NY
Hello all,

This summer, I purchased a B2920. Because I just purchased the tractor, the dealer said they would remove the MMM and install the blower for free.

Today, I was clearing snow for just the second time this year. With the PTO disengaged, I was pulling some snow/ice away from my garage putting down pressure on the blower. I move to right, look to my left and see the drive shaft lying in the ground. :eek:

I used to do this all the time with my JD. Was this shaft installed without being properly coupled or can I not lift the tractor with snowblower?

GuyM

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I assume you mean the drive shaft under the tractor from the mid-pto to the quick-hitch? If so it probably just wasn't properly installed. If it was the front drive shaft, from the tractor to the blower, then the shaft in the quick hitch isn't properly installed.
When you install the shaft under the tractor be sure the coupler release snaps to the fully engaged position and then pull on it to make sure it is secure! You do not want to buy a new shaft for under there! It must be made of platinum or something the price Kubota want for it! It CAN be damaged beyond repair by flying off there under load!!!
Ed

GuyM

Equipment
Kubota B2920, LA364 Loader, 60"MMM, 51" Front Mount Snowblower, Swisher 60" Trailmower
Aug 31, 2009
Wales, NY
It was the drive shaft under the tractor. This is something the dealer did because it is new. I always did this myself on the JD.

I'm worried that even if coupled properly, picking the tractor up with the snow blower can uncouple the shaft. I am assuming that in your opinion, this is not the case.

Thanks for the reply.

(I am unimpressed with this dealer for this and a couple other reasons. Too bad.)

GuyM

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If the quick-hitch and the shaft are installed properly that shaft will never come out! Ask your dealer if he kept the assembly manual that came with the quick-hitch so you can check their workmanship! It is yours, you paid for it.
I don't know anything about your dealer but in many cases Kubota is a sideline for a dealership and as such doesn't get the attention it deserves, Both in employee education and proper attention to PDI and assembly detail.
Too often they are treated as toys at the dealership

GuyM

Equipment
Aug 31, 2009
Wales, NY
Thanks for your opinions. The tractor is back at the dealer. The guy asked if I drove over a large amount of snow!

L200Wolf

Equipment
L200 4ft brush mower 4ft box blade
Oct 24, 2009
Jax Florida
Hey Vic dont forget the boot to the rear to. In my 4 years of running Kubotas I have never had shafts come out like that. It sounds like someone didnt do there job and needs a swift kick in the backside. I hope everything turns out ok for you M.

rpraymond

Equipment
L3430HSTC w/front mounted blower, B2320, tiller, bh, chipper & grading scraper
Jan 10, 2010
Madison Co. NY
This past fall I was hooking up the blower on my L3430 for the winter when a friend stopped by. He offered to help and connected the shaft on the blower for me. I asked him to pull on it to make sure that it was secure, which he did but obviously he didn't pull hard enough. This winter while clearing snow I felt a slight vibration and then no blower. When I backed up the shaft was lying on the ground! So I'd have to say that your shaft wasn't connected properly. Fortunately mine wasn't damaged but in the future I'll do it myself or at least check it.