Draining Water Separator

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Nothing will frost Flienlow faster than poor instructions.

Does anyone know how to drain a water separator? I get that I need to close the fuel valve. But then what? just loosen the ring? It states when separated water is being drained the ring goes up. Where is it drained from?

-see attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
The Japanese -> English translation does not always make sense.

I can tell you that it is MUCH better now than my 1969 Yamaha motorcycle instructions were.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
Those directions are written very poorly - doesn't even tell you to re-install the water separator cup.
In step 2 the first statement just describes that the red float moves upward as more water is separated from the fuel. The second and third statement describes when and how to empty the separator cup.
Step 3 should include re-installing the cup making sure that the cup seals(o-rings in place) while tightening the ring nut.
There is most likely more directions in your manual telling you how to purge the air from the water separator filling it with diesel fuel to eliminate getting air into your injection system. On my M9540 there is a diaphragm on the top of the fuel filter mounting bracket that I need to depress repeatedly to manually pump the diesel fuel into the water separator.
I am not familiar with your particular model - I am just familiar with the way you have to interpret their manuals.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
UGH. Ok on the left, you are supposed to remove drain plug below. But they have step one list under draining the fuel tank. I guess when you remove that drain plug that is when the red ring goes up. As it goes up you then close the fuel cock and remove the bowl. I know this system is self priming so when I tighten bowl,then open cock and then start.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I could be wrong, but I think draining the water out of the fuel tank is a completely different thing. The water separator should collect water as you use the tractor or mini ex. Don't fill up the water separator with diesel if that is the only filter. Is this a common rail tractor?

JB13502

Equipment
MX5200
Jan 12, 2018
Deerfield, NY
UGH. Ok on the left, you are supposed to remove drain plug below. But they have step one list under draining the fuel tank. I guess when you remove that drain plug that is when the red ring goes up. As it goes up you then close the fuel cock and remove the bowl. I know this system is self priming so when I tighten bowl,then open cock and then start.
The first diagram is for draining the tank itself. The water separator has nothing to do with that. As fuel is pumped to your injectors, the first stop out of the fuel tank is through the separator. Due to density, the water goes to the bottom. The red float is made from a plastic that is heavier than diesel fuel, but lighter than water.

If the float is off the bottom of the separator, it***8217;s floating on water. If it***8217;s not floating, you don***8217;t have any water in it.

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I read the instructions two parts.

One part, opening the drain on the fuel tank is only needed IF there is water in the tank. You remove the drain screw until fuel comes out then replace the drain screw. Drain into a glass jug to see how much water, if any is there.

Second part, there is a float in the fuel water separator that floats on water. If enough water has accumulated to enable the float to reach the ring, you should drain the device. Though if there is any accumulation, I'd drain it and not wait. Close the petcock.The separator has a retaining ring you unscrew. It then slides down and off of the clear accumulator. The accumulator is pulled down. You then dump out the contents. Ensure the oring is intact, then re-insert the accumulator into the housing. Slip the retaining ring up and snug. Open the petcock.

JB13502

Equipment
MX5200
Jan 12, 2018
Deerfield, NY
If the float is off the bottom of the separator, it's floating on water. If it's not floating, you don't have any water in it.
Don't know what's up with all that gibberish, won't let me edit it out. I hope you got the gist of it.

(Mod Edit)Fixed, whatever device your posting from doesn't like apostrophes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Thanks for the help guys. To be clear here is the issue. When the engine first starts up it runs like complete crap coughing and sputtering and then eventually comes up to power, however I don't believe I'm getting full power out of the engine which makes me think that I might have water in the fuel or something like that.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk