Drag Harrow.....gravel on lawn

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
So......the winter combo of front blower and back blade worked fantastic. That being said, as thing softened up I ended up with a decent amount of loose gravel and aggregate (gravel driveway) along the edge of my drive and then of course I blew that crap all over the lawn........oops....

As the snow melts it reveals 2 things.......enough dog crap around back to keep me in the crap business for a few weeks AND out front I have a goodly amount of gravel and aggregate spread judiciously across the front lawn. While raking this by hand is an option, so is shoveling my 500' driveway.....possible? yes. Practical? No.

I have a drag harrow sitting out back......wondering if that harrow flipped over in it's least aggressive direction might help collect said mess.......

Thoughts?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
neighbour who snowplows his driveway onto his lawn (and mine) every Witner, uses a 'rotary broom' on his Kubota EVERY Spring, to relocate the gravel BACK onto his driveway....

Reactions: 1 users

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Hmm......sounds like the cheapest way would be the smaller trimmer attachment for a power broom.......

Although the harrow might work for the large stuff.......seems a little aggressive.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sometimes a good ol hand rake will get a lot of it ..... then again my drive is 60 feet long - not ......600!
I agree with River19..... might be too much and end up with grass and dirt in/on the driveway!

As for the doggie-do .......... get an old pieces of chain link fence or a couple of old tires and drag them around the poo ..... it will even them up and allow that to break down faster.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I've tried my chain harrow for the same purpose in the past and no dice. I dont have a landscape rake but I've wondered how those would work.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
While I don't blow snow here in NC I do get gravel in my grass.

I use a parking lot blower and back pack blower to put it back where it belongs.

I pull the blower along backwards and use the back pack to help encourage the gravel out of the grass and in front of the air stream from the push blower. Works nicely.

When I don't have much I just use the back pack blower. Including both sides of the drive have roughly 2000 feet to do. Couple hours and done.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
If you have a weed trimmer, you can often find a power broom attachment, it is a rubber paddle wheel, it will remove all gravel from the grass leaving the grass behind intact. They are crazy effective.

The manufactures try to make you buy a stand-alone unit or a 'power attachment system' but a lot of times you can just switch the head.

I have an Echo SRM-3020t trimmer and attaching the Echo PAS ProPaddle to it, is just two fasteners. The same may work across other lines.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
If you have a weed trimmer, you can often find a power broom attachment, it is a rubber paddle wheel, it will remove all gravel from the grass leaving the grass behind intact. They are crazy effective.

The manufactures try to make you buy a stand-alone unit or a 'power attachment system' but a lot of times you can just switch the head.

I have an Echo SRM-3020t trimmer and attaching the Echo PAS ProPaddle to it, is just two fasteners. The same may work across other lines.
Bingo.....had one on order as of this morning !!!!

I have a couple if strong running power head units in the shed so I ordered up a simple Ryobi attachment that should be compatible and if not I can easily return it to the "Big Orange Box".

Funny, COVID lept me cooped up a bit like everyone else so I decided to dive into learning how to revise and fix all my 2 strokes......then that lead to pulling carbs apart on my 4 strokes so now that I have strong running power heads.......let's use them.

Once the fine folks above confirmed the harrow would be ineffective/bad I was left to google. @GreensvilleJay got me googling the rotary brooms and I started off big and spendy and landed on "this handheld will probably work fine".......so for $145 I will give it a whirl.

DogHandlerMN

Nov 16, 2020
So MN
I use the rubber paddle broom as well. It’s a workout for sure, but very effective. It also works to move acorns in the fall.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I use the rubber paddle broom as well. It’s a workout for sure, but very effective. It also works to move acorns in the fall.
Oh outstanding.......my house is surrounded by large oaks and last year with the drought around here it was like every tree flipped a switch to fight for species survival.....I literally have a carpet of acorns that we rakes to the edge of the yard. The large pines weren't far behind with a bumper crop of pine cones as well.

Thanks for adding the acorn news.........they were my own private hell last year, There were days when walking to my shed was dangerous as it was like walking on ball bearings......of course all winter the deer and squirrels have kept my dogs watching "Squirrel TV" to pass the time.........

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I use a flat aluminum shovel to scrape up the heavy concentration of aggregate from the melting snow piles, and along the driveway 340 feet. If the grass has not started to grow it will get most of the gravel without much effort, then I rake the area if it needs it to get the remainder.

I also have a paddle sweeper, I use it when I feel really energetic, it will give you a work out and with wet ground you may get damp, I use mine dragging it backwards, for me it is easier than pushing it.

I won’t use a snow blower on my driveway for the reason it blows the aggregate to from the driveway onto the lawn on both side of the driveway, cleaning up 6-8 feet of aggregate is much easier than 20-25 feet.

My son suggested a power broom for the front of my L3901, he saw one for sale locally at a reasonable cost, the problem is the ruts from running on soft ground.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington

That’s PAS paddle attachment would be crazy long if you attached it to the end of a normal echo trimmer right? Pictures or it didn’t happen! Lol

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
its not too bad, you are upright while using it. you remove the shaft it comes with and just use the head.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I’ll also suggest the power sweeper. I use the Echo paddle sweeper on a quarter mile gravel drive. It is a workout but keep in mind you don’t need to get it done in one day either.

Borgf15

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 4, 2020
ID
Does anyone know if a bristle broom trimmer attachment will work, or does it have to be a rubber paddle version?

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
If gravel in grass were a problem here I would use the Stihl broom attachment..

I already have the Kombi power head so would get a broom.. Maybe will get it anyway as it would be useful in the barns..

Good thinking... eh...

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Update:

I got the power sweeper attachment that fits trimmer power heads.......

I have a couple Troy Bilt powerheads that I have running like tops thanks to pandemic time to rebuild carbs etc.

The sweeper works well......it is a bit of a beast and not something you want to do for an hour without a break but it certainly works for the purpose. As a side bonus, it has dethatched the hell out of my lawn.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
lol right?! they are insanely effective! but its really a work out on your back and arms.