Double acting valve section vs Float deten valve section

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Greetings,

Working toward a 'top and tilt' capability for my B2601 3pt. With this in mind, I've asked my dealer to install the 'rear remotes'(?) needed as a precursor to the TnT work ... The dealer has specified two 'Double acting valve sections' ...

Is this a) correct and b) what are the tradeoffs involved when choosing 'Double Acting' vs 'Float deten' valve sections when thinking of the 3pt hitch top and tilt functions?

Thank you!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Greetings,

Working toward a 'top and tilt' capability for my B2601 3pt. With this in mind, I've asked my dealer to install the 'rear remotes'(?) needed as a precursor to the TnT work ... The dealer has specified two 'Double acting valve sections' ...

Is this a) correct and b) what are the tradeoffs involved when choosing 'Double Acting' vs 'Float deten' valve sections when thinking of the 3pt hitch top and tilt functions?

Thank you!
What the dealer is asking you to choose are features for each of the two double acting valves.
You could have a valve with a detent. You pull the lever and let go, the cylinder moves until it hits the end of its stroke. Float is another feature. you cannot have both together from my experience.
There are other members who are much more knowledgeable on this topic and will post.
Dave

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Greetings,

Thank you!
Looking at the catalog you can only have float detent in the second position. I will leave the debate of the value of float on a TnT system to others.

Dan

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Greetings,

Thank you!
My take on it is that with or without the float option you will still have a double acting valve. Float is an add on option that some of us find useful.

The float capability is useless on a cylinder that has pilot operated check valves on it. Check valves and float are incompatible. You may not have any cylinders that have pilot operated check valves on them so this may not be a concern.

Last edited:

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Thanks to those who posted. Follow up question is ... (I'm new to tractors btw) ... assuming I get the top and tilt kit installed, will I need to use 'float' mode when using my rotary tiller, or box scraper or finish mower?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks to those who posted. Follow up question is ... (I'm new to tractors btw) ... assuming I get the top and tilt kit installed, will I need to use 'float' mode when using my rotary tiller, or box scraper or finish mower?
Not "needed" but it can be useful on a mower and box blade. Your 3pt floats on its own but it adds an extra degree of freedom. Many people do without in large part because Kubota typically charges a hefty premium for the option.

Dan

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
When I bought my LX last year. The float detent valve added $50. I got it because it was not much more. In operation it is a double acting valve with an additional position of float. That said I have it connected to my side link as that cylinder does not have a check ( pilot) valve. In my opinion is not needed. But I got it as an option to " future proof " my tractor if I find a need down the road for it.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have 3 rear remotes on my L: 2 center return (double acting) and one float detent. I have a specific use for the float and I knew it when I specified it.

Some of the areas I brush hog are rough enough the range of motion allowed by the flex built into the toplink hookup on my brush hog is insufficient which resulted in binding unless I totally removed the turnbuckle type manual toplink. So my process for mowing the sewer line with manual toplink: 1) shorten toplink to shortest position to prevent binding when crossing creek cuts to get to sewer line; 2) extend toplink and remove to mow first of three sections; 3) reinstall toplink to pick up brush hog to cross rip rap lined ditch to second section; 4) remove toplink to mow second section; 5) reinstall toplink to cross rip rap lined ditch to access third section; 6) remove toplink to mow last section; 7) reinstall toplink, shorten to shortest position for those creek cuts on the way home; 8) wind the toplink back out one last time when back to the shed if removing from the tractor. If you’re still reading, as painful as I’m sure it was reading that, it was worse actually doing it two to four times per year.

With the non-check valved toplink on a float valve, current process for same job: 1) When approaching creek cut shorten toplink with a small flick of my right wrist (no need to stop the tractor); 2) Put the toplink into float to mow first section (another wrist flick which doesn’t require stopping); 3) Take it out of float to cross the rip rap ditches; 4) … I’m sure you get the idea.

Using a toplink without check valves (as others have mentioned, you can’t float a check valved cylinder) I can float the toplink rather than remove it and that’s worth something to me. Yes, I’ve floated the side link with the box blade a couple of times by swapping the lines around. Other than my one job described above the float isn’t some grand game changer of a feature but I also haven’t seen any real downsides to it aside from cost.

Mark at WJ

Equipment
Kubota L3902
Aug 29, 2022
North Carolina
I have 2 rear remotes a self cancelling detent and a spring center. My recommendation for the top link control is the spring center. With this valve the top link will move exactly where you want it and then return to the neutral position.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
When I bought my LX last year. The float detent valve added $50. I got it because it was not much more. In operation it is a double acting valve with an additional position of float. That said I have it connected to my side link as that cylinder does not have a check ( pilot) valve. In my opinion is not needed. But I got it as an option to " future proof " my tractor if I find a need down the road for it.
Depends on what you need. I find float very useful on a side link when plowing snow on the driveway that has various camber changes over its length...but as with everything in life, our mileage may vary depending on our needs...

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Greetings,

Thank you!
If you thought you were confused when you asked this question I shudder to think what your mental state is now....

Dan

Reactions: 1 user