Dorian

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well I hope we are prepared for it and my heart goes out to the people and their loved ones to the south of us, a real nightmare come true. Even though it shouldn't be near as bad here I'm hoping it's like most storms we were supposed to get and it never shows. After living through hurricane Juan in 2003 I may make another run tomorrow morning for another couple jugs of gas. All you people in it's path be safe.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Bearbait, I have been thinking about you since I saw that Dorian was headed right over you. My family history goes back to PEI and my wife and I have done up that island quite intensively. Looks like they are in the path as well. Good luck, stay safe and keep that tractor warmed up.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, I have been thinking about you since I saw that Dorian was headed right over you. My family history goes back to PEI and my wife and I have done up that island quite intensively. Looks like they are in the path as well. Good luck, stay safe and keep that tractor warmed up.
Thanks jajiu, we managed to get everything put away this morning so I hope we're pretty much ready. I just hope we don't loose power for more than a day or 2 because when the power goes down so does the Internet which also means no tv. We have lot's of fuel for the generator, tractor and chainsaws so bring it on.;)

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Well, I hope you get as hit as hard as I did, which is to say nothing. The storm kept moving out to sea and central VA was a little cloudy with a nice breeze. Though we were prepared just the same.
Be safe.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well, I hope you get as hit as hard as I did, which is to say nothing. The storm kept moving out to sea and central VA was a little cloudy with a nice breeze. Though we were prepared just the same.
Be safe.
Well that would be nice but things are already rockin pretty good here and it's not really supposed to hit here for another 10 or 11 hours. The bottom line is you should never worry about things we have no control over, we will make it through this. Thanks William, pretty sure the power will be out soon. Looks like a big cleanup day tomorrow and Sunday.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Bearbait, hold on to something solid.
Im down on the South shore and in the brunt of it. Luckly we're on the west side of the eye, so lighter wind (relatively speaking) but heavy rain. I believe you're forcasted to get the east side of Dorian. Which will be lighter rains but higher winds.
So far we have a few broken and uprooted trees. Also a partable garage is up on end in a few trees. That I kind of expected to take flight. I didn't take the time to anchor it better.
According to NSPower website, it looks like most of the province is dark. Some days it's nice to be off grid by choice.

Good luck, I hope everyone fares well.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, hold on to something solid.
Im down on the South shore and in the brunt of it. Luckly we're on the west side of the eye, so lighter wind (relatively speaking) but heavy rain. I believe you're forcasted to get the east side of Dorian. Which will be lighter rains but higher winds.
So far we have a few broken and uprooted trees. Also a partable garage is up on end in a few trees. That I kind of expected to take flight. I didn't take the time to anchor it better.
According to NSPower website, it looks like most of the province is dark. Some days it's nice to be off grid by choice.

Good luck, I hope everyone fares well.
I'm sure that any minute we'll be losing power. Yes we are on the east side and supposed to get higher winds. So far I only lost one door off my deck but we have a long road ahead of us. Stay safe my friend.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Bearbait, like Red Green says, "Grab some Duck Tape and hang in there, we're pullin' for ya!"

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, like Red Green says, "Grab some Duck Tape and hang in there, we're pullin' for ya!"
Duck Tape rocks and the women never did find me handsome so I had to be handy.:D:D The power just went out 10 or 15 minutes ago but the generator is up and running, so far so good. Just gonna have to snuggle up with my old girl for the evening.;)

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Duck Tape rocks and the women never did find me handsome so I had to be handy.:D:D The power just went out 10 or 15 minutes ago but the generator is up and running, so far so good. Just gonna have to snuggle up with my old girl for the evening.;)
Doesn't your wife mind? :eek:

I like GenSets. Stay Safe.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Week before last they were projecting Dorian to cross the Florida peninsula and run up to the panhandle/alabama/miss coastline. Well last week we had our yearly vacation planned to the panhandle. When I seen the forecast I was a little PO'd but understood that I can't control the weather.

We went anyway. Last year we made friends with Gordon, figured we could at least try to befriend Dorian this year. She wanted no part of that, however. We went fishing regardless, and there was nary a cloud in the sky, thank goodness.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Most of the province is without power. I'm guessing certain internet providers would require power also. Just guessing

Hopefully he made out ok last night.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thanks folks, made it through with little damage. Only had a few trees blow down out the road and lost one screen door on the deck. Now if I could only get the sound of that generator out of my head that will be great. The only problem with everything being wireless is when the power goes out so does everything else. Stuck with 2 local channels that really suck but I did catch up on a lot of sleep.:D

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Bearbait, Glad you weathered the storm! I'm sure you don't have a lot of TV stations near-by but where I am we have plenty, no cable, just a rotor antenna. We have a propane back-up gen. that automatically comes on and runs the whole house, including the well pump, otherwise, no flush!! The wife works nights so if the power goes out, guaranteed it goes out at night when she's getting ready for work. Glad to have you back amongst the powered.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, Glad you weathered the storm! I'm sure you don't have a lot of TV stations near-by but where I am we have plenty, no cable, just a rotor antenna. We have a propane back-up gen. that automatically comes on and runs the whole house, including the well pump, otherwise, no flush!! The wife works nights so if the power goes out, guaranteed it goes out at night when she's getting ready for work. Glad to have you back amongst the powered.
Thanks jajiu. We do have a rotor antenna just to watch the local news but there are only 2 channels we can pick up and they really suck. One of the prices we pay for cutting the cord and going wireless but still well worth it.

We have a large backup generator now but when the panel was first put in we just had a small 2000 watt Honda so just 110 was wired to it which means no hot water and no heat pump but everything else works. We asked our electrician to stop in and wire in the rest but he never did show and it's not until times like this we wish we had followed up on it.