Does engine have to be TDC to remove Injection pump (L3130 HST)

BowersHomestead99

Equipment
L3130 HST
Jun 6, 2021
Ohio
Hello everyone! This is my first post on here but I always look on here for information. Just want to inform everyone that I am 22 so I am still learning!! Please ask questions if I miss said anything or something is confusing. Recently my L3130 HST has stopped running and I believe the fuel is stuck on shutoff. The tractor was not getting very much use so I think there maybe be some rusting in the pump stopping the assembly from moving. (I checked all the lines and it was getting fuel all the way to the pump, I also tested the fuel stop solenoid and it seemed to be working fine, also replaced filter, and tested to make sure lift pump was working). I was wondering if I needed to have the engine at top dead center when removing the injection pump or if that even had any effect. I have read over the manual numerous times and cannot seem to find anything mentioning it but also at that stage they already have the block out in the manual. My cousin works on a lot of diesels was telling me it had to be at top dead center to remove the injection pump but that does not really make any sense to me. To remove the valve cover I would need to remove a lot more and if it is avoidable I would love that. Thank you for any help!!

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it don't matter what stroke the engine is on. Loosen the mounting bolts a little at a time, in a circle. Loosen one 1/4 turn, move to the next one, 1/4 turn, so on and so forth. It's likely to be stuck in the block, just pop it with a plastic hammer and it usually will pop loose.

you'll have to remove the intake manifold.

before you go too far, remove the oil fill cap/neck. Look up inside and you'll see the plungers for the pump, they have rollers on the end similar to a roller lifter in the engine block (same design). If you see a gap between any of the rollers and the cam, you have a stuck plunger in the pump. They should always be on the cam at all times. Next thing to do is see if you can manually move the rack pin back and forth. It should move freely, although it'll have some spring tension on it and the shutoff solenoid will put tension on it too. Turn key to on, solenoid should retract and stay so that you can manually move the rack. IF the solenoid does what it's supposed to and the governor isn't somehow messed up (I've never even heard of that), and If the rack don't move, you have a pump problem. Pump problems are pretty rare unless they've set with water in them or they've had a bunch of gas run through them.

On some engines the rack won't clear the hole that the pump sits in so you have to kinda wiggle the rack back and forth and tilt the pump just right to get it out. Watch for this don't force it. Also there is a stopper that will prevent the rack from coming up, you will have to take out the solenoid and remove the plastic stopper before the pump can come out. Lastly don't forget the pin. If you don't get it in just right you will have a runaway, or best case it just won't start. If you have a runaway there ain't no way to shut it off unless you kill the engine's air supply.

Reactions: 1 users

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Not really applicable here,but I always turn an engine to #1 TDC before disassembly.
It gives you a reference point you can return to.
Saved my butt on many occasions,although we don't rebuid engines much these days.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user

BowersHomestead99

Equipment
L3130 HST
Jun 6, 2021
Ohio
Thank you all for the help! Just wanted to update everyone. I’m in central Ohio and it’s been raining all week I finally had time to work yesterday. I followed your instructions and took the viewing port area off and saw that the pump was moving freely. I actually realized that I tested the stop solenoid wrong. I put both ends in the plug instead of grounding one side to the block. The stop solenoid appeared to be the issue. The tractor started and ran fine, I let it warm all the way up but after shutting it off it will no longer start again. I am very confused. I figured I should ask before I do my own testing since you all knew exactly how to get the pump out and I couldn’t exactly figure it out by looking. I didn’t realize I had to take off a lot of the lines until I read the previous replies!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thank you all for the help! Just wanted to update everyone. I’m in central Ohio and it’s been raining all week I finally had time to work yesterday. I followed your instructions and took the viewing port area off and saw that the pump was moving freely. I actually realized that I tested the stop solenoid wrong. I put both ends in the plug instead of grounding one side to the block. The stop solenoid appeared to be the issue. The tractor started and ran fine, I let it warm all the way up but after shutting it off it will no longer start again. I am very confused. I figured I should ask before I do my own testing since you all knew exactly how to get the pump out and I couldn’t exactly figure it out by looking. I didn’t realize I had to take off a lot of the lines until I read the previous replies!
Sounds like you need to get the workshop manual for your L3130. You can download it for free or a small donation from Kubotabooks.com.

Can you remove the stop solenoid and try the tractor? Of course if it starts you will have to put the solenoid back in place to shut down, but can probably do that without have to bolt it in place.

Once you conclude that stop solenoid is the problem, you will know what to do...if it is not the problem, you can ask more specific questions.

BowersHomestead99

Equipment
L3130 HST
Jun 6, 2021
Ohio
I figured I should
Thank you all for the help! Just wanted to update everyone. I’m in central Ohio and it’s been raining all week I finally had time to work yesterday. I followed your instructions and took the viewing port area off and saw that the pump was moving freely. I actually realized that I tested the stop solenoid wrong. I put both ends in the plug instead of grounding one side to the block. The stop solenoid appeared to be the issue. The tractor started and ran fine, I let it warm all the way up but after shutting it off it will no longer start again. I am very confused.
Lastly don't forget the pin. If you don't get it in just right you will have a runaway, or best case it just won't start. If you have a runaway there ain't no way to shut it off unless you kill the engine's air supply.
where is this pin located? Is it the plastic stopper? I think everything was reinstalled correctly also since it ran after installing the new solenoid. It now makes noise when turning the key like a single pop so it’s retracting I think.
Sounds like you need to get the workshop manual for your L3130. You can download it for free or a small donation from Kubotabooks.com.

Can you remove the stop solenoid and try the tractor? Of course if it starts you will have to put the solenoid back in place to shut down, but can probably do that without have to bolt it in place.

Once you conclude that stop solenoid is the problem, you will know what to do...if it is not the problem, you can ask more specific questions.
I think I have a bad timer. I hear a click about 30 seconds after putting the key in and trying to start and it will start but barely. I also tested all switches, and it wouldn’t turn over if the switches were tripped.

BowersHomestead99

Equipment
L3130 HST
Jun 6, 2021
Ohio

The solenoid plug wires get 12v when in the on position. Still doesn’t start disconnected. Even before it wouldn't run with the stop solenoid completely out. Could I have a bad timer relay? Been using the manual also haha it is my only resource. I inherited the tractor when my dad passed away 4 years ago.