Does anyone use a 3pt finish mower with industrial tires?

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
I'm looking to get a 3pt finish mower to use with my B2301, to cut down on engines to maintain. I have close to .75 acres of turf to mow, most of it isn't great and I'm not about having a perfect lawn. My B2301 has industrial tires which I find helpful for being in the woods and moving dirt and gravel around.

So my question is, does anyone use industrial tires and a 3 point finish mower, and hasn't torn up their lawn?. How do you handle turning? I'm assuming mow with 4wd off? Any other thoughts?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It has been a long time, but I had a rear finish mower on my B2910 for a year or so, and have R4 tires, and do not remember any issues with ripping the grass up.

I ended up trading the little used RFM in for a new 60 inch brush hog, and bought a BX2200 with MMM to cut grass with, among other things.

I did not like the RFM since I had things to mow around, including a small pond, and when turning around things the RFM swung well away from where I wanted to cut.

My BX has ag tires, and works well enough for me, but that may indicate I am not too picky with the results of my mowing. Not sure. I do have a set of turf tires for the BX but never felt it was worth swapping, for what that is worth...

edit: Why not drive your tractor with the R4 tires around your yard a bit, as if you were mowing, and see the results? Yes, NOT in 4WD is a good idea.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I cut with R4s on a BX with loaded tires. Just keep it in 2wd, dont go nuts making tight turns at max steering angle, and they are just fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
It has been a long time, but I had a rear finish mower on my B2910 for a year or so, and have R4 tires, and do not remember any issues with ripping the grass up.

I ended up trading the little used RFM in for a new 60 inch brush hog, and bought a BX2200 with MMM to cut grass with, among other things.

I did not like the RFM since I had things to mow around, including a small pond, and when turning around things the RFM swung well away from where I wanted to cut.

My BX has ag tires, and works well enough for me, but that may indicate I am not too picky with the results of my mowing. Not sure. I do have a set of turf tires for the BX but never felt it was worth swapping, for what that is worth...

edit: Why not drive your tractor with the R4 tires around your yard a bit, as if you were mowing, and see the results? Yes, NOT in 4WD is a good idea.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t have much to mow around, just a wooded edge to hit and then pretty big open turf up to the house and driveway. Sounds like this might be ok.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Not a bad price for the Befco...

So I do mow in 4x4 but I'm not on a lawn (per se) just walking trails in the fields. (actually, it's better grass than I have in my yard!!) I really only tear things up when I'm backing up (I'm not sure it the tire ratio expresses itself more in reverse). 2 wheel drive is not an option where I cut.

Did that once and had to burn those shorts....

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My weapon of choice since 2002. B7500 (w/ 5' side discharge), L3200 (w/ 6' rear discharge) & L4240 (w/ 7-1/2' rear discharge)

PB071039.JPG Cab Lites.jpg IMG_5350.jpg

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I run R4s with a 3pt finish mower and never had any issues as long as the field is dry.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I put R4's on my SCUT for the same reason. Avoid hard sharp turns and keep in 2WD as much as possible and tear up won't be an issue. If you cut grass with the loader off you will have even less issues. I have some steep slopes and found the R4's didn't slide as much as the turfs.

Ruxin

Equipment
B2301
Jun 22, 2020
Virginia
I put R4's on my SCUT for the same reason. Avoid hard sharp turns and keep in 2WD as much as possible and tear up won't be an issue. If you cut grass with the loader off you will have even less issues. I have some steep slopes and found the R4's didn't slide as much as the turfs.
That answers another question - I’m assuming I should drop the FEL to keep weight off the front tires and maybe help not dig in with turns.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
drop the FEL when you cut and it will significantly lower turning damage.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I run the Land Pride FDR1660 72" finish mower behind my L2501 and it work fantastic. I have about an acre of lawn/pasture and use 4 wheel drive all the time. However, when I install a real lawn with topsoil under sod, I will re-evaluate and probably tread a bit lighter. If you do get a finish mower and have a Quick Hitch, get the optional floating top link kit. It will pull much nicer with far less scalping.
2019-03-10 19.15.03.jpg

Attachments