Do you name your equipment?

• Thread starter Deleted member 47704
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47704

I never named my machines but my brother started naming tractors.
Drove past my F150, and saw the rust eating the fenders, so I though we'll call it Rusty.

Driving around on my new LX2610 listening to the hydrostat whine I thought I would I would call it Karen.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Nope, I don’t name inanimate objects or body parts. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I had to name my motorcycles, my wife cannot identify them unless named. She named my little BX 'Walley'. I could care less.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Oscar. There is a story behind it. Has to do with my wife’s grandad. I don’t use it much but it is written is on the keychain.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This has been covered before:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just call them really bad things when they dont work

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
We usually refer to stuff by brand or description (Farmall, Kubota, chipper, etc.) However, my dad is impossible to get any consistency from. Sometimes I can’t even figure out what he’s talking about. Example: “Do you have time to hook the blade to the tractor after work? The ditch on the road to the pond needs cleaning out.” Me: “Sure. We have three tractors, a box blade, and a backblade so what do you want hooked to what?” Him: “I don’t know; whatever you think.” Me: “I’m not thinking. If you’re doing it, I just need to know what blade you want on what tractor.” Him: “If it doesn’t matter to you, can you hook the orange thing to the orange thing?” Me: “No problem.”

The worst is his Ford tractor he’s had since the mid-60’s. He refers to it as the 2N, 8N, or 9N like they’re all the same thing (and they are all similar but not the same). He’s rebuilt or replaced everything on it at some point so it isn’t like he doesn’t know which it is. We were working on a leaky valve stem on one of the calcium chloride loaded rears about a month ago and he referred to as a 2N and 9N in the same sentence so after 50 years of this nonsense I finally asked him, since you refer to this thing as three different models and you obviously know which it is, what the hell is this thing exactly? He said when he bought it, it was worn out, had engine, transmission, and lift problems, didn’t run, and had numerous broken parts. He didn’t have the money to fix it with new parts so as he fixed it with used parts it turned into a combination of all three plus a Ferguson hood fitted with a sledgehammer and one back wheel from an Oliver something. He couldn’t recall what model it was when he started working on it. Asked him if we could agree to just call it the Ford or the little tractor since it’s the smallest of the three. He said sure, Ford sounded reasonable. Of course he still calls it the 2N/8N/9N interchangeably. At least I know what tractor he’s referring to. And if he’s getting under my skin at the moment sometimes I now refer to it as the FrankenFord, which he doesn’t like.

BTW, he has an engineering degree from a well regarded engineering school and is way smarter than I’ll ever be. Maybe we should start naming stuff to clear up communication.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Jeez, I clicked on the thread because I had thought it was about naming one's own equipment, not machinery. :eek:

never mind...carry on.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
I haven’t and don’t plan to name my 2501, but I did have some fun with the family.

I told them I was going to name it 45 because it’s loud, orange, and gets S**t done.

They felt that might be divisive, so I told them I named it the General Lee. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
My wife likes to name our classic cars, but I don't usually refer to them as such.
She tried to name the most recent Kubota, and I admit it's extra confusing now, as I won't refer to them
by names.
For the last 15-16yrs, my TG1860 was "The Tractor" and now that I (recently) also own a BX2380, we
have to say 'The LAWN tractor" or just "The Tractor" to which most everyone replies..."which tractor"?

Maybe "new one" or "old one" will work, because I really don't think of my TG1860 as a lawn mower (even though that's basically what it is.....a 'big' 3 cyl diesel with a trailer hitch on it and all kinds of grunt is not really a lawn mower.....to me anyways.

Ugh

D

Deleted member 47704

I name my boats.
But a wise old man once said, " if you name your boat,name it after your daughter not your wife, because she will always be your daughter"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I don't name machinery but my sister does.
She named the L2501 and next thing I know, it's on my hat.
Not too bad I guess.

IMGP0031.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a somewhat temperamental Allis Chalmers 5040 tractor that I named Django after Django Reinhart the famous and temperamental gypsy guitarist. The tractor was made in Romania the home of the Roma or Gypsy people. Reinhart was known for not showing up for his concerts, often disappearing for days later to be found having been on a bender with his people ,smoking ,playing cards and whatnot. I have a blue BMW motorcycle I refer to as "The Bluebird". For example ; " I am taking The Bluebird to the mountains Saturday". I always felt certain words in certain situations punch above their weight in terms of emotional impact. Naming boats, tractors and motorcycles is an opportunity not to be missed and much cheaper (free) than having and naming a child. Amen. I conclude my sermon.

Reactions: 2 users

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Jeez, I clicked on the thread because I had thought it was about naming one's own equipment, not machinery. :eek:

never mind...carry on.
Me too.

For the record...Joe and the twins.

• Haha

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
All of my equipment and motorcycles are just called “ol girl” that way i can Talk to them like sh!t when they piss me off

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
All of my equipment and motorcycles are just called “ol girl” that way i can Talk to them like sh!t when they piss me off
My equipment do not have names. Actually I do not talk to them either...anymore...

Speaking of motorcycles, one time I was at a friends parents home in Mass, and was getting ready to leave. We both were stationed in NY and he invited me up for a visit. I was about to ride my bike back...getting ready, I guess I was talking to the bike. Then I saw the friend's brother's girlfriend in a car in the driveway. Went over to say hello. She asked me who I was talking to...felt strange saying to my bike...it is always is a one way conversation though. The bike and I were good friends...

That old BMW served me well. I ended up selling it in Bangkok Thailand, after riding it there from Spain. Got to Spain on a passenger carrying freighter...those were the days...

edit: story from a time before many of you guys were born!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I avoided this thread for a while. Been covered, tried to find the thread that Lil Foot linked.....

Dayum, it's been hilarious!!

Thanks guys - - I needed that! (y) :cool:

Last edited:

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
We have a Kubota RTV400.... Camo... We refer to as PEPE....

From the old date night movie with Mike Douglas called "Romancing The Stone" In the flick they use a little hopped up Ford pickup (Ranger ?) named PEPE my little mule.. This to make a daring escape from bad guys..