Do you keep area just for kids?

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Our kids are adults and nearest grandkid no longer 'plays' kids game. Thought of this while I was mowing the back field. I have maintained a small grassy area for decades. Just over a 1/4 acre. It has been kickball , softball, and soccer field. Volley ball and croguet court. Sleep outs with the porch light on as beacon and night light.
Other than me and the dog I do not think anyone has been down there in years.
I'll keep it clear as it might be a selling point to the next owner with kids.
So do you keep an area for play and not looks?

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
So do you keep an area for play
Im in a different stage of life, as my kids are 5 and 7. Have about 6 acres cleared and kept maintained for them to run around and play. They both would much rather be outside then sitting inside playing video games and such.

The only problem is I’m gonna need another tractor 😂

69023E6C-B4F4-4903-950F-D795A9DAC8BA.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Interesting question…

We live on about 70 acres of family land. It’s not the farm where I grew up, Dad sold the farm and bought this place when I was about 20, a couple of years after I’d left home. I came back with my wife in tow 5 or 6 years later when a promotion brought me back to the area and Dad offered us a couple of acres for nearly nothing if we wanted a spot to build on. We got the Certificate of Occupancy and moved in about 26 years ago.

Used to be mom/dad, me and my family, my brother and his family. Brother and his family moved away probably 18 years ago. Mom passed about 10 years ago. Dad passed earlier this week. Our son moved away for college about 8 years ago and hasn’t moved back (miss him sometimes but thankful he didn’t fail to launch). Son recently said he is thinking about moving back to the property, in one of the now unoccupied houses, when he gets married and starts having kids in the next few years. Who knows what will happen with all that? Not me, for sure. For now it’s just me and my wife rattling around on 70 acres of mostly trees with a pond, creek, 3 houses, a smallish equipment shed, and enough open grassed areas to need a decent tractor and brush hog to tame it.

To the point of the thread, we’ve used the pond for fishing, frog gigging, and the occasional muskrat hunt. We’ve used grassed areas of various descriptions for football, frisbee, croquet, volleyball, badminton, clay shooting and various other practice activities with firearms and crossbow, gardening, as well as a bunch of other similar stuff. We’ve used the trails for walking, hunting, photography, mini-bike riding, bicycle riding in addition to the practical necessity to get around the place. We’ve used every bit of the place for insect hunting/collecting when my son was into that.

Even when we had kids here full time, I don’t recall ever cordoning off a specific area strictly for kids aside from some play equipment that was suitable for children and clearly not suitable for adult sized folks. We have had ample outdoor recreational activities for whatever children were here at the moment, as well as outdoor recreational activities for adults.

Could be just me and the wife here for many more years. Could be by the time I retire there are at least a couple of grandkids learning to fish in the pond in their back yard where their dad learned to fish. Either way is swell.

Kids grow up and move away. Adults get old and their world shrinks until they’re no longer here at all. More kids show up and the old basketball goal goes back up, the fishing tackle box gets a fresh update, and there’s another kid proud of the fact he’s the only person in his 6th grade class (including the teacher) that can back a 20’ trailer 200’ across a dam with a stick shift truck when there’s no good place to turn it around.

Nothing to be sad about. If you fall in love with the place you’re at and try to stay there, life will run right over your ass. Enjoy the now and roll with it as it changes, because it will.

Reactions: 1 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
My whole place is for the kids.

When they were little, they built sand castles on the beach and had grand adventures exploring and playing tag along the many trails in the "woods". As they got older, their friends all came over, tied up their boats to the large dock and hung out around a campfire on the beach, built forts and shot paint balls at each other in the bush. In their mid to late teens, they started making use of the shop to tinker with snowmobiles, motorbikes and cars. Such projects helped redefine my role in their lives from parent to mentor and friend. A winter restoration of an old mahogany and cedar strip boat helped one particularly troubled middle child transition into a responsible young adult.

A couple got married on the beach. They started bringing their kids to make sand castles and explore in the "woods". It became a place where cousins got together and bonded. Yesterday, one of them and a friend were camping here. Tomorrow a couple of them are having more friends over for a party on the beach. One of them has been helping me with some maintenance on that old wood boat his uncle and I hashed things over so many years ago.

The cycle continues.

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My kids like both my wives, (yes I pretty much out lived both) and my self, grew up running around the woods. They played in the creek caught frogs, snakes, baby rabbits, fell ,got cut, scraped up, broke bones, rode bikes and grew up. They never played soccer or baseball they swam and shot on the rifle teams, learned to drive on a stick shift pick up truck. So yeah I guess we kept the world for the kids. It is a shame the way the world has gone where a kid cant be a kid, because of the crazies out there

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Sadly my kids have turned into "city slickers", so everything I was keeping for them will now be sold when I am done with it. :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Well, I don't have a lot of land, not near as much as I grew up on, but it's the kids "jungle". They have their fort/swing set down in the lower yard run of the rest of the place. Can't say there is a designated kid zone. I do hope when my one neighbors dies I can afford to buy the 14 acres of woods he owns behind my place. I figure if I can't afford it, we'll be moving anyway account of the likely hood of a developer buying the land. At any rate I plan to leave whatever I have for the kids when I'm gone.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sadly my kids have turned into "city slickers", so everything I was keeping for them will now be sold when I am done with it. :cry:
You dont know that, sometime kids come to understand life, when Mom or Dad are gone, and want to go back to life when things were simpler

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My grandkids have about 2 acres 8ft high fenced in to play. If they were older, than could have access to the rest. We have Mountain Lions, Wolves, and Coyotes in our area, so not a good idea for them to wander without adults. My daughters don’t play a lot on the property unless they are playing with the grandkids. ;)

Fwiw, we built a custom swing-set, buried a trampoline, 8ft diameter stock tank, tire balancing, etc, etc, for the grandkids. Note: my yard is on a hill so I had to make level places for the trampoline etc. Just finished the duck coop for grandkids with the framing wood ready to go to build the chicken coop for the grandkids. In case anyone wonders, ducks mature faster so they got a coop first. ;)

Reactions: 4 users

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Built a playhouse/swing set for the kids when we first moved to our house and the kids were little. They also had a trampoline and run of the property. Have a creek that runs thru also, but is dry most of the summer. Heavy rains made some fun times for the kids. Fast forward to present, kids are 24 & 27. As far back as my oldest can remember, my wife, her mother, and my daughter went to a local pumpkin patch in October every year. My daughter has been living 7 hours away for the past 5 years and still makes the trip. The local pumpkin patch closed after last season. So I planted a pumpkin patch at my farm this summer - hopefully it produces some pumpkins this fall. My daughters are over the top excited about this, so even though that don't live with me or even local, I still have an area just for the 'kids'.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
My whole place is for kids. As is happens, I'm the kid, and the Kubota is one of my toys ;)
My wife is not so amused at times.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Have a creek that runs thru also, but is dry most of the summer. Heavy rains made some fun times for the kids.
Every creek is different, in fact, many creeks differ from section to section. But I urge caution around creeks during heavy rains. I've been called out to a few kids (and even the odd adult) swept away in those circumstances and unfortunately such calls usually turn out to be a body recovery.