Do tractor newbies know ?

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
It seems not too uncommon, when watching a tractor video, that the operators dont have the outer driveshaft plastic cover chained off. Do new tractor owners realize that it is, potentially, a life saving safety device ? Until i found this forum i used to wonder why the PTO shafts had a plastic cover that spun with the metal PTO shaft. Thanks, OTT. Just a safety reminder. The thought of getting clothes caught in a spinning driveshaft seems scarry to me.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Indeed, I'm a fireman in a rural community lot of farmers around.

Got a call one day for a farm accident. We responded and when we got there found an older gentleman in a bad situation.

He had been standing over the pto shaft while it was turning. It caught his pants and pulled him in, it was bad. it pulled the skin off his jewels, amazing he never passed out. We cut him free, bandaged him up and off to the ER.

If memory serves me though some years ago, it was hooked to an irrigation pump and no cover was present.

Be careful my friends, I/we often get in a hurry let our guard down and then bad things happen.

Just Saturday I was loading some rock for my cousin, routine just 6 scoops and the trailer was full. Went into the pile pulled down on joystick to lift and bam, hydraulic line busted and his 4 year old who was standing safely away beside the barn watching got sprayed with fluid. None in his eyes just on his clothes he is fine. Just like that in an instance bad things can happen.

Jay

DaveMueller

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST TLB, LA524, BH77, Ford 917L
Apr 16, 2019
Mill Run
No, it's one of those things that's isn't obvious, even to someone with a high mechanical aptitude (me). A lot of 3 point implements are purchased used, without manuals, and missing parts. I really wish someone would post some videos like "Owning a tractor for city folk" explaining what is common knowledge to experienced farmers. The local extension offers "tractors for women" but not for men, I already know how to add fuel and check the oil ;-)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A LOT of long-time “common farmers” with “common knowledge” are in the grave-yard after having been chewed to death by a spinning PTO shaft.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'm one of the above but not in a graveyard (yet). I ran a mower for fifteen years before replacing the tractor and needed a longer driveshaft. The new driveshaft came with new yellow sleeves. The old ones had gotten pretty beat up from spinning. I never understood why they were there. The new driveshaft had a warning about securing the ends of the sheath. That was the "AHA" moment for me. Pretty cool safety device!!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All my implements and hay tools that are PTO driven have the outer plastic covers and end bells on them but I NEVER chain them to the implement or the tractor. No need to. The resistance to spinning is negligible anyway so you'd never get wrapped up in the shaft anyway.

Been doing it that way for 30 years with no issue. In fact, I don't know of anyone who secures the outer rotating shield. No reason to.

Some book smart application dumb person thought that up. Probably someone who never saw a pto in operation.

Kind of like TPMS units on cars today. I have sense enough to check my tire pressure regularly, I guess a l,ot of people don't, especially soccer moms who are too busy texting and driving to be bothered.

Kind of sad we now live in a society where you hjave to protect yourself from yourself and then have someone dictate how to do it.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
the outer plastic covers and end bells on them but I NEVER chain them to the implement or the tractor.
Sidecar A month ago I wouldn't have agreed with you but I do now.

miketrok That was one of the first things on my list of questions for my dealer. I assumed it was an oversight and figured they would fix me up with a chain like is on my 9N mower pto drive shaft.
He said not a great idea.
He said he would gladly give me a chain if I really wanted one but would not install it and that things have changed since 1939 when my 9N was made.
Supposedly if a non spinning shaft cover has been in service long enough the bearing surface eventually goes bad so if somebody or something barely touches it, it will immediately break that little chain and start spinning whereas the newer shaft cover that spins with the shaft will stop spinning.

Don't know if this is BS or not but here is a link https://www.rhinoag.com/faq-driveline-shield-retention-chains/ that sort of agrees with what he is saying.
However, I will keep that big heavy metal cover on my 9N chained up.

They do make a good point especially concerning my flail mower. It can keep rotating for over 60 seconds after the engine is off. If not for the drive shaft spinning somebody might not realize that there is still something very dangerous going on.

Last edited:

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I'm with Sidecarflip

I check the sleeves for free movement both in and out and round and round while hooking up the pto to the tractor. If it doesn't move nice and easy, I find out why and fix it.

That little snub chain that comes fitted to the plastic boss is good for about 5# of pull.

That's not saving anyone from anything.

But, I'm pretty careful around spinning shafts etc. I like all my limbs firmly attached.

Keep your wits about you....

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I dont agree with Sidecar often... but I do today :)

Inspection of the shaft and its components tells me the shield will stop spinning if it gets caught in anything as a last line of defense, dont need or want any additional metal things dangling near spinning shafts. Also, seeing the shield rotating is a reminder to "not be a dummy".

My dealer removed the shield chains off the PTO implements he sold me (I never asked why).

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
In the winter, my outer pto cover freezes and rips off both the chains.

I bought a complete new COMER pto shaft just before winter and it too ripped the chains off.

Nothing I have tried can prevent the freezing.

I am running an inverted blower so the pto shaft is more exposed than a traditional blower setup.

I count on the Kubota pto alarm when I lift my butt off the seat to remind me to stay away :)

Dave

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I am running an inverted blower so the pto shaft is more exposed than a traditional blower setup.
To avoid that freezing issue I suggest only using it during the summer.
(I try to help when I can)